Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: UT3's DM-Gateway for UT2004

100GPing100
    Yes, it's called UT3Converter. It's name is misleading since it works for all engine versions (not sure about UDK).

maxdamage
    I have tried umodel but I can't seem to find where in the .ut3 file the height maps would be located anyway.I don't even know what format to look for,etc.... just for info sakes.Even if I can find it how can I convert it to ut2k4 format anyway?

Thanks

Skred
    I'm not sure. I know that UT2004 uses (I think) P8 filetypes as heightmaps and those can be generated/converted in photoshop.

maxdamage
    Quote Originally Posted by Skred View Post
    I'm not sure. I know that UT2004 uses (I think) P8 filetypes as heightmaps and those can be generated/converted in photoshop.
    Well I have PSP8 so I don't know how to do that.Still need to find the height maps though....

arbee
    P8 is 256 colors, and PSP can do greyscale to 8-bit color.

Skred
    Quote Originally Posted by maxdamage View Post
    Well I have PSP8 so I don't know how to do that.Still need to find the height maps though....
    I have very little knowledge of UE3/UT3 and how it all works. I would imagine the heightmaps are still in the form of a texture and can be exported out of UT3. I'd PM 100gPing about it. He has exported many things from UT3 and is well versed on the matter. I'm sure converting the heightmaps to something useable in Ut2004 would be the easy part. That should be matter of opening the extracted texture from UT3 in photoshop on converting into the proper filetype for UT2004 then assigning it to a terrain info. I can handle that little bit for you if need be. It'll tak emaybe 30 minutes to an hour to set up. Just PM if you get the textures and I'll help you make that happen.

Sly.
    Heightmaps are still used as some form of texture. They are their own type of texture though, such as UE3 uses textures as bases for materials and materials (and their "subforms" like Material Instance Constants) are the only thing that you can use to texturize your map/level, such are heightmaps an own thing. I believe, if the heightmap is not inside a cooked map or cooked package, one could easily export it, but I never tried to and I don't know as what file it would export it... However, Gateway - being a default map - is cooked.

Skred
    Quote Originally Posted by Sly. View Post
    Heightmaps are still used as some form of texture. They are their own type of texture though, such as UE3 uses textures as bases for materials and materials (and their "subforms" like Material Instance Constants) are the only thing that you can use to texturize your map/level, such are heightmaps an own thing. I believe, if the heightmap is not inside a cooked map or cooked package, one could easily export it, but I never tried to and I don't know as what file it would export it... However, Gateway - being a default map - is cooked.
    How would Ping have been able to extract the Manta, Raptor, UDamage etc etc etc if you can't extract from a cooked package? I'm not saying you're incorrect, just a genuine question.

Sly.
    Well, I never said it's impossible, but the cooking makes it harder.
    I don't know how GPing did it, maybe UModel by Gildor?

Dy1ngs0ul
    Quote Originally Posted by Skred View Post
    Isn't there some tool that can be used to import maps from one Unreal engine game to anthoer? (but still requires significant work to port the level)
    I am not sure about that, I heard about a tool kit for UT3 though, it is a tool kit that uses a whole different engine from the Unreal Engine 3, but allows content (and maps) to be imported into UT3, but one for UT2004 I don't know. You could import the meshes but importing maps I don't know.