Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [HELP] UDK and a good starting point?

Spoof
    Firstly, re-install UDK. Then edit the ini files to add your project as defined in the starting guides, by adding a +EditPackages entry so that your code gets compiled.

Then leave the ini files alone!

Next, don't bother cooking your game. Cooking is for producing milestone test builds, not for daily development. All you need to do is recompile the scripts either from the frontend app, or with a command line like this:

Code:
    D:\UDK\UDK-2012-01\Binaries\Win32\UDK.com make -debug
    Now you have two options for testing your game. You can either fire up the editor, load your map, click on View-> World Properties -> GameType and set both the DefaultGameType and GameTypeForPIE to your project's GameInfo class. That allows you to test the game in the editor.

Alternatively, a more efficient way to iterate builds when coding is to launch the game through the commandline, specifying map and gametype.

Code:
    D:\UDK\UDK-2012-01\Binaries\Win32\UDK.exe TestMap?game=Sandbox.SBGame -log -remotecontrol -nostartupmovies
    Use this as your workflow until you gain more experience and confidence. The command lines above can be executed through desktop shortcuts, or with the features of your IDE (code editor). Later you can search the forums for ways to tweak the ini's and get cooked builds to run correctly.

Spoof
    Oh, and you might want to reduce the length of your posts to focus more on the core issue. There are a lot of busy people here who will skip when confronted with a wall of text

knekt
    Thanks! Unreal X-Editor seems perfect =D

knekt
    Spoof! Very useful! Thanks!

JessieG
    Are you using an old build of UDK? All the recent ones I install always have "None" as the default gametype, not UTGame. (unless you're opening some of the included UT maps).

Also, I don't think the command lines are needed to rebuild code. After adding your gametype to the ini, simply opening UDK will prompt you to rebuild scripts.

knekt
    I'm using the 2012-03 build.
    As for default gametype, that might be true. What confused me on that was that my custom gametype did not appear in the UT-menu when loading maps and setting gametypes. Well, I din't want the UT-menu either so I got rid of it by telling the INI's to load my TEST.udk-map instead of some UDKFrontEndMap.udk in some "always load"-gibberish somewhere. So now, by launching the UDKGame I instantly go strictly into my "testing lab" because I believe my map is now loaded with my custom Gametype since no UT-stuff appears on screen. ^^

Spoof
    Quote Originally Posted by JessieG View Post
    Also, I don't think the command lines are needed to rebuild code. After adding your gametype to the ini, simply opening UDK will prompt you to rebuild scripts.
    True, but the commandline approach removes the hurdle of using the editor/frontend and is more in line with the "build and run" workflow.

tomacmuni
    Seems like you should get hold of the programming UnrealScript Introduction by Rachel Cordone from Packt, and my book on use of the UDK (intermediate) from an artist point of view.

Unrealscript: http://www.amazon.com/Unreal-Develop.../dp/1849691924
    UDK: http://link.packtpub.com/onGAdU

Tom
    www.tomofnz.com