Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding Character

Fragor

Adding Character

Hi,
    I am just trying to make my first complete game. So I am not using any of the UT scripts, but the "UDKGame" as parent for my scripts. Abviously there are some things to be done like a HUD and so on, but my primary problem is the character. But i can't find any tutorials that aren't using UT as parent.... I would be awsome if somebody would explain to me how to add a player character. A link to a tutorial would be great, too.

neurosys
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragor View Post
    Hi,
    I am just trying to make my first complete game. So I am not using any of the UT scripts, but the "UDKGame" as parent for my scripts. Abviously there are some things to be done like a HUD and so on, but my primary problem is the character. But i can't find any tutorials that aren't using UT as parent.... I would be awsome if somebody would explain to me how to add a player character. A link to a tutorial would be great, too.
    I have done something similar, but not made any tutorials or anything.
    I don't use any part of the UT stuff, modeled, rigged my own lame character model to regular named biped, no uc family stuff, custom animation, custom animtree, implemented AimNode (still bugging on some stuff there), recoded the camera many diff ways including manual offsets,etc .. and made my own weapons classes, everything works.. no ut.

I'm probably not as good as a tutorial on this, but I'd be glad to help if u have questions.

Fragor
    Thank you both for your fast reply! the tutorial actually uses UT stuff, so it is not really that helpfull.
    Big thanks to nurosys for the offer! How would you like to be contacted?

neurosys
    I'll subscribe to this thread and if you dont mind we can just post here, that way it can help other learners and people can help us if we get something wrong. Most of my techniques are just that, very 'not the way the book says'.
    I've started a new custom character, hoping to take this one all the way, so I will post the progress and how I'm doing it.
    I just finished the 'base' model I'm mainly concerned with making him work before focusing on looks.
    Also I'm a programmer first, so I get my jollies from seeing them working, then I go back to make them pretty.
    Hes also basic because I want to experiment with making him modular for dismemberment and changeable clothes/gear. Thats why I just painted his clothes on here, later I plan to give models a nude skin, and make all clothing from separate meshes, but for now I will be happy to give him a dirty shirt and get some animations, actions in place and functioning.
    [shot]http://www.neuroticnetworks.com/udkimg/New_Sam_Base.png[/shot]

Next will be to rig him, create a basic animset and animtree, and create his player controller.
    I use nfringe +Vstudio2008 for making the classes and 3dsmax 2012 to model/rig/texture.
    If you want to know something specific are or stuck at a certain issue, just ask and I'll try to find an answer.
    Its lonely trying to do UDK the non UT way, so this should help us all alot, there is always a way even if we have to look at the UT code for hints (i try to avoid that).

I'll show my progress as I go, it might be more productive to ask how far along you are with your character or which parts you feel uncertain about. If its just how to start, we start to really veer away from UT when we create the player controller, pawn, gameinfo,etc...

Shindawg
    Could someone tell me the benefit of not extending from UT? It just seems to cause alot of issues for people.

neurosys
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindawg View Post
    Could someone tell me the benefit of not extending from UT? It just seems to cause alot of issues for people.
    I prefer to not use UT because I was never familiar with UT modding and scripting until UDK. With UDK I really never wanted to make anything similar to UT, but thats the example they use where another SDK type product might use a more bare example like we are used to. I feel like its a trade off of how I wanted to learn Unreal Engine and more control. I dont want to mimic or mod UT, I want to make something new using their engine and scripting language. UT code is great for an example, but a lot of times the way they did something is not how I would do it, or doesnt fit the gametype. Short run solution is to modify it and for many people that is probably the best way. We still use a lot of Epics structure at the 'extends UDK*' level, but it is less specialized for the most part.

Shindawg
    Hmmm I think I see what you're saying. Certainly something for me to think about. Thanks for clearing it up, and sorry for momentarily hijacking the thread!

neurosys

Cool Progress On Sam

I'm trying to hurry along to the coding parts, because I think even if mine aren't the best ways, I believe I've found many of the simplest ways to accomplish similar if not more versatile things.

I just happened to be starting a new character at the same time I found this post and I thought we could benefit mutually by seeing all the little differences and groundwork a tutorial might cover. I'm trying to skim over the modeling part and I am thankful I am nearly ready to launch up VStudio and get things moving, I rigged him in about 50 minutes, I used to really suck at this but I guess I'm at least getting faster. Well Initial rigging, the bones are in place, I'm confident in this guys scale too because the default biped fit almost perfectly. Now I just have to make a few decisions that will affect how I can use him in engine, firstly whether to use Physique or Skin modifier to fasten the rig to the model. I have used both before, but had more success with Physique and would welcome ANYONES opinion or knowledge on the matter. I'm going to try it with skin and if I cant get it looking right I'll do it with Physique instead, thats how I did it in all the videos I made with custom chars before. I think skin makes it easier to addon clothing meshes. Anyhow here is a few pics, I need to give him at least an Idle animation and walk then I will create my new gametype code, player controller code and pawn code, based from UDK stuff not UT. Pretty simple really, some parts. Other parts I either see in tutorials or figure out from watching ut do it and reading over code posted to forums.

New_Sam_Base-RigStart.jpg
    New_Sam_Base-RigBodyDone.jpg
    New_Sam_Base-RigBodyDone2.jpg
    New_Sam_Base-RigHandDone.jpg

Ok, so like 5 hours later, I remember that rigging/skinning is harder that the lining the bones up bit.
    I am not terribly good at this part and it takes me forever to get minimum model ripping apart skinned.
    Dont worry, once we get to coding I wil start to shine :P I plan to hire modelers once I am a zillionaire.
    So I consider Sam yet another in a long line of crash test dummies.

[shot]http://neuroticnetworks.com/udkimg/New_Sam_Base-YES-I_SUCK_AT_RIGGING.jpg[/shot]

Now, I make idle loop and walk loop... then to udk ... finally....

Fragor
    Thank you very much, I am very much looking forward to your little coding tutorial!