Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DM-SerenityBay !!!

chonglee
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSonny07 View Post
    I still do not know what is what UT does make so magnetic and cool, Once time I thought It was the cool music ( Im still thinking if werent for ut style music it doenst feel unreal at all. More later I thought "I think it does appeal the style maps" and more later over the years "Is the weapon and skins" and so on.. It is like in that day all the star get aligned in one way and oyu get an unrepeatable feeling of greatness or so I think is a mixture all things became this great game so cool ( And still it does followed nearly by ut3 behind )

I m agreed with you, maybe they could try again to open the recall's box and feel that things again I think is it the only way to make an ut but more improved and evolutioned today.
    About ut99, two things I'd like to point out:
    - BSP based level looks very neat and very comfort for your eyes when you play fast paced game like UT or Quake which involves non-linear level flow and a lot of vertical gameplay (not to mention portal, jumppad, wrapzone...). Too many details simply distract your mind too much and therefore only good for realistic games which has normal action speed and somewhat linear level design. And in order to keep you focusing on what to do next, these games also have hint or tip system to directly show you the next objective and they intend to cut big objectives into smaller ones so that your brain won't screw up when facing too many "information" on the screen. But BSP based level looks too much old-fashioned, so today we don't do it anymore, but that can't equal to simply ignore the good side of it.
    - UT99 characters look more humanlike. You can see their faces, even emotions. You can tell them from each other by just looking at face. Along with the taunt, they were just more interesting and memorable comparing to those bulky bots in the later UTs.

Back to the old days, things had to be simple because of the less powerful engine and the old computer. Sometimes that happened to be the cool and awesome feel what we now recognize. So it's important to find out what was actually the reason of why oldschool worked and bring it back to a modern game.

Achernar
    Have to say beautiful setting, fantastic attention to detail and great use of the custom assets. Simply top work, thanks for your efforts.

Bl!tz~
    Quote Originally Posted by chonglee View Post
    About ut99, two things I'd like to point out:
    - BSP based level looks very neat and very comfort for your eyes when you play fast paced game like UT or Quake which involves non-linear level flow and a lot of vertical gameplay (not to mention portal, jumppad, wrapzone...). Too many details simply distract your mind too much and therefore only good for realistic games which has normal action speed and somewhat linear level design. And in order to keep you focusing on what to do next, these games also have hint or tip system to directly show you the next objective and they intend to cut big objectives into smaller ones so that your brain won't screw up when facing too many "information" on the screen. But BSP based level looks too much old-fashioned, so today we don't do it anymore, but that can't equal to simply ignore the good side of it.
    - UT99 characters look more humanlike. You can see their faces, even emotions. You can tell them from each other by just looking at face. Along with the taunt, they were just more interesting and memorable comparing to those bulky bots in the later UTs.

Back to the old days, things had to be simple because of the less powerful engine and the old computer. Sometimes that happened to be the cool and awesome feel what we now recognize. So it's important to find out what was actually the reason of why oldschool worked and bring it back to a modern game.
    i have same feelings mate and i like a lot ur analize, imo it s very hard to use a fast fps game as a showcase for a very demanding new engine, it require a very subtile balance in all, + it s an enormous challenge to bring a new version after a "quite" perfect one

mruczek
    Mmmmm.m.. Sexy

M^vL
    Dude you are the gold standard for mapping. The detail is mind blowing. Thanks for this awesome level!

I agree totally with everything you said about the original UT. The only thing I would add is that there was an underlying sick humor (probably the Cliffy factor) with the gore and funny taunts that gave the game life and always made me smile. I play UT3 quite a bit because I like the graphics and the general game play is good enough (and I play mostly HOLP style maps) but it has a cold heart. To me, in a nutshell, the core of UT3 feels as lifeless, humorless, and characterless as "demo guy". Hopefully if they ever work on UT4, I hope Cliffy will be heavily involved.

chonglee
    Quote Originally Posted by mruczek View Post
    Mmmmm.m.. Sexy
    Not as much sexy as I thought it could had been when I conceived of the map. It turned out to be a night (right after sunset) map which somewhat reduced the abandoned community feeling. But I had to make it like that because I wanted to fully control the lighting and using lighting to guide the flow so that the map could be more player-friendly. And there was also another big reason that was the lighting system of UT3, which is not GI-based, could be very problematic when using sunlight or ambient light to get something really neat. I don't want to explain the detail but if you ever tried make a map of GI-like lighting in UT3, you know what I mean.

This is what I imagined:

And this is what I had to make:

Quote Originally Posted by Bl!tz~ View Post
    i have same feelings mate and i like a lot ur analize, imo it s very hard to use a fast fps game as a showcase for a very demanding new engine, it require a very subtile balance in all, + it s an enormous challenge to bring a new version after a "quite" perfect one
    Yup, to achieve that level of balance they need a little bit of perfectionism. That's a tough task when nowadays most man power is put into next-gen details or cinematic stuff or something else that makes a game look like a blockbuster movie. I love games telling great story like what rockstar did, but UT should be different, very much, or at least technically.

Quote Originally Posted by Achernar View Post
    Have to say beautiful setting, fantastic attention to detail and great use of the custom assets. Simply top work, thanks for your efforts.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by M^vL View Post
    Dude you are the gold standard for mapping. The detail is mind blowing. Thanks for this awesome level!

I agree totally with everything you said about the original UT. The only thing I would add is that there was an underlying sick humor (probably the Cliffy factor) with the gore and funny taunts that gave the game life and always made me smile. I play UT3 quite a bit because I like the graphics and the general game play is good enough (and I play mostly HOLP style maps) but it has a cold heart. To me, in a nutshell, the core of UT3 feels as lifeless, humorless, and characterless as "demo guy". Hopefully if they ever work on UT4, I hope Cliffy will be heavily involved.
    Agree!
    The characters of UT99 or quake 3 were fantastic. But Q4 was not good at this aspect, BECAUSE OF THE SPACE MARINE STUFF. Technically Q4 made the same mistake as UT3, the Q4 characters looked as lifeless as UT3, just not that fat.

SkaarjMaster

great map!

I guess this is one of the areas in the post-apocalyptical environment that either didn't get hit very hard or started recovering quickly. I liked the boats, bridges, smoke plume, buildings, cars, vans, docks, lighthouse, trees, glass, portals, lighting/shadows, bird sounds and other details. Definitely a TDM or exploratory map and the gameplay (best as TeamDM) is as expected although a little tighter than originally thought. I like the locations of some of the powerups. Keep up the good work and I like all the bug fixes and added sounds in this final version.

KurlonT
    PS3 cook of DM-SerenityBay now up at www.ut3mod.com

FreakinMeany
    Wow. This is insanely beautiful! Impressive as always, chonglee.

I've also mirrored both versions on Mapraider's three mirrors:

http://www.mapraider.com/maps/?fileid=5779

chonglee
    Thanks a lot to KurlonT and FreakinMeany!
    Both mirrors are added into the original post.