He uses Blender to pump out the models and UV's, though I'm not entirely sure how the two programs compare. He doesn't seem to have much issue with cooking them up though, and that's even with me demanding minute changes on every little detail.

I really wish my texturing could be done in 1-6 hours! I can at max do two guns a month and then I'm seriously drained of motivation afterwards.

My textures aren't too great either (I'm using the monkey smashing at a keyboard approach), but it looks like your workflow is similar to mine.
I used to use GIMP and Paintshop Pro for them, but for the BW mod I switched to Photoshop. It was worth every penny of it's thankfully student-discounted price!

Personal approach:
1. Select two colors over a short range where the median is the desired texture. Render Clouds and Add Noise.
2. Add random filters in the hope that one result will be vaguely pretty. (Brushed edges usually works well if no going for a rough metal approach.)
3. Begin the long process that is applying the correct light to a surface. Like you, I use Dodge and Burn brushes of varying sizes to do curved surfaces, though I also add light shading and highlighting to all surfaces with a large, low-opacity brush.
4. Save, repeat 3 and test in UeD until the shading looks acceptable.
5. Go over the main surface with a large variety of low-opacity grunge brushes to give each island more life. Each brush a slightly different color to increase variety. Blues and oranges used to make surfaces 'cool' or 'hot' thematically.
6. Fine tune the lighting with a very small dodge/burn brush or regular brush at low opacity.
7. Add various decals to the surface. Labels, stickers, fake screws and indents.
8. See if Google has anything it can add to the picture. :P
9. Apply Ambient Occlusion if available.
10. Add scratches to edges and high contact surfaces. Stuff like handles, tops and bottoms of rails, barrels, and mags get touched up a lot here.
11. Use large grunge brushes to brush edges and discolor surfaces.
12. Save, repeat 10 and 11 and test in UeD until the grunge looks acceptable.
13. Play again with layer effects and filters to find one that may improve the overall texture. (Hexagons for sci-fi stuff, bumpy stuff for rubber.)
14. Save work.

After a couple of hours of that, (most time being spent on 6, 10, and 11) I'll usually have a receiver or part of the frame completed. Since the guns usually have a wide variety of surfaces with different colors, parts 1-13 have to be repeated manually for each distinct island. For example, on this AK-style gun it went receiver, stock, grip, frame, grip, magazine, misc bits, bayonet, rear sights, front sights, barrel. Each gets the same 1-4 hour treatment. At the end I'm usually saying good god let it be done and just coloring the remaining bits black with white scribbles.

The fun only starts when I get to experiment with the various camouflage patterns on the final product. Pretty pink polka dots, anyone?

What size are your textures though? 512x512's can be made pretty quickly, but man those 2048x2048's....