Thread: How do you exclude objects from DOF? (eg, the Skybox)

Question How do you exclude objects from DOF? (eg, the Skybox)

Can anybody explain to me how this is done? I thought there used to be an option like that ("Uses Post Processing" tickbox or something), but now I cant find it.

Really simple question, SURELY you can do this with UDK, right?

You can't do it. The whole point of post processing is that it occurs to the image after it has been rendered.

I can't think of a reason you would want to do this so can you explain the effect you're after? There may be a workaround.

The reason is so that the skybox doesn't go all blurry. I want DOF on all the forground objects, but I dont want the sky to look like its being viewed through a pair of inch thick glasses! Thats pretty weak man, how can an effect like this be impossible in such a high end engine LOL?

What about TRUE depth of field then, where the focus changes depending on what your looking at? That cant be a simple "after effect" plastered ontop of the screen like a sheet of paper can it? Theres plenty of games with DOF, but still, the sky isn't blurry, such as Jericho, Crysis, Duke Nukem Forever, Red Dead Redemption, Deus Ex 3 to name a few. The funny thing is, one of those games was made with UE3. So I dont see how this cant be possible, if its already been done.

It probably hasn't been done like that.

Think of it like this, if you were to do that in a rendered video, you'd have to render the background separately and then render the other elements, then you would render the DOF effect and combine the two, that means doing a completely different render pass and it would take a lot of resources.