Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So You Want to Work in the Video Game Industry

Frisbetarian
    Hmpf yeah same here, video kind of depresses me. Even though I know how to program on multiple platforms and have learned how to 3d model and animate I still am very nervous about my prospects in this rigorously competitive field. Especially since I will be looking for work in foreign countries as my native country still does not have a game industry let alone a studio.

The video describes me to some extent, I spent most of my adult life in love with playing games. But what i've also realized that you can grow from that, you can benefit from the experience you have playing many genres of games when you finally hunker down and decide that you really want to put the effort into pursuing your dream. I already knew how to program, I hence spent over 600 hours in the last 6 months learning how to use the various tools -from the UDK, to 3DS Max to Photoshop- in order to have something substantial to present when I finally take the step and travel to seek out my career in the game industry. Not just my ideas and dreams but something tangible, a proof of concept of my skills. What I'm trying to say is that, gamers, in my honest opinion the first step is dedication and the last is hardly a B.S in Computer Science or Animation. The last step should be you toiling for endless hours, with your eyes bleeding trying to get those damn morph targets working in your game.

I'm traveling on the 14th of February, wish me luck.

Lexluthor1
    Quote Originally Posted by Frisbetarian View Post
    Hmpf yeah same here, video kind of depresses me. Even though I know how to program on multiple platforms and have learned how to 3d model and animate I still am very nervous about my prospects in this rigorously competitive field. Especially since I will be looking for work in foreign countries as my native country still does not have a game industry let alone a studio.

The video describes me to some extent, I spent most of my adult life in love with playing games. But what i've also realized that you can grow from that, you can benefit from the experience you have playing many genres of games when you finally hunker down and decide that you really want to put the effort into pursuing your dream. I already knew how to program, I hence spent over 600 hours in the last 6 months learning how to use the various tools -from the UDK, to 3DS Max to Photoshop- in order to have something substantial to present when I finally take the step and travel to seek out my career in the game industry. Not just my ideas and dreams but something tangible, a proof of concept of my skills. What I'm trying to say is that, gamers, in my honest opinion the first step is dedication and the last is hardly a B.S in Computer Science or Animation. The last step should be you toiling for endless hours, with your eyes bleeding trying to get those damn morph targets working in your game.

I'm traveling on the 14th of February, wish me luck.
    Good luck and don't despair..............
    Determination,hard work and your half way there...........................

Of those who travel to Hollywood in search of fame, 99% give up because they don't have the will, if you have the will, the goal is there!

Whiteout
    lolz..I must have tested and investigated hundreds of programs by now for a hobby with Udk! (head spinning) and I'm still a newbee, just scratching the surface with some of the ones I am able to use freely for learning. I'm not able to use these heavy price programs like adobe after effects..Microsoft Studio Visual etc. wow!!! Oh well good video, it doesn't discourage me for a hobby for now, unless something else does!...Thx to all the writers for P.L.E. and open source software (should donate soon!!) thx!!!

Lexluthor1
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteout View Post
    lolz..I must have tested and investigated hundreds of programs by now for a hobby with Udk! (head spinning) and I'm still a newbee, just scratching the surface with some of the ones I am able to use freely for learning. I'm not able to use these heavy price programs like adobe after effects..Microsoft Studio Visual etc. wow!!! Oh well good video, it doesn't discourage me for a hobby for now, unless something else does!...Thx to all the writers for P.L.E. and open source software (should donate soon!!) thx!!!
    You don't need after effects or visual studio, just a modelling programme, GIMP,UDK and context..............That's it
    And obviously dedication, hard work and determination...

All the ideas and plans in the world are not worth two cents if you're not prepared to spend fifteen hours a day for several years learning and testing your skills!

Dr3d1337
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexluthor1 View Post
    All the ideas and plans in the world are not worth two cents if you're not prepared to spend fifteen hours a day for several years learning and testing your skills!
    Very true, I've spent the past 6 years of my life testing mechanics and game play features. My buddy and I are just recently starting to make our first serious game that we do have plans to release, and I still only know a small amount of what is capable of being done. But as I continue to work on our project I learn more and more each day. This is a tough job but like said, if you're dedicated and want to see what you can do and want to see a final project, you'll do it. One of the things Valve has said is, "if the fans really want it, they'll make it themselves."

Lexluthor1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr3d1337 View Post
    Very true, I've spent the past 6 years of my life testing mechanics and game play features. My buddy and I are just recently starting to make our first serious game that we do have plans to release, and I still only know a small amount of what is capable of being done. But as I continue to work on our project I learn more and more each day. This is a tough job but like said, if you're dedicated and want to see what you can do and want to see a final project, you'll do it. One of the things Valve has said is, "if the fans really want it, they'll make it themselves."
    Excellent quote..........
    And "your mind is the only limitation on your capability"......one of my quotes

c4veman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexluthor1 View Post
    Excellent quote..........
    And "your mind is the only limitation on your capability"......one of my quotes
    So true

Boshko Savich
    If i can say something about theme here,
    I strongly believe man,or woman, who want, well this is not i wanna or something connected with will, this is more,,, i feel deep inside me -I MUST!- do this, learn, spend the tons of hours to think ,to experiment, to try, to try to try again and again and again till i get that what i want. Make game, its not industry, look if u make someone with your product to feel on one or another way, this is the art, and you are the artist, you r the man, or woman, who touching someone feelings, soul, u can make him to think on way as u wish. Isn´t it that spectacular? But to be an artist u must to be alchemist to know everything u can, learn,learn learn,think,think,think,work,work,work. If you feel deep inside you that you can cut off all your life because one simple reason,,, to make ppl to feel something what u wish of them to think, than go and try yourself, step in and be prepared, here, for one little feel of happiness in your soul u will must to give a whole you, your time, nerves, nights,days. Do you have a girlfriend? With all her silly wishes about shoes,skirt, blouse,,,? Personally i dont have time for this and i think im 2 old to listen that .
    Wow, im gonna stop myself now .

Lexluthor1
    Quote Originally Posted by Boshko Savich View Post
    If i can say something about theme here,
    I strongly believe man,or woman, who want, well this is not i wanna or something connected with will, this is more,,, i feel deep inside me -I MUST!- do this, learn, spend the tons of hours to think ,to experiment, to try, to try to try again and again and again till i get that what i want. Make game, its not industry, look if u make someone with your product to feel on one or another way, this is the art, and you are the artist, you r the man, or woman, who touching someone feelings, soul, u can make him to think on way as u wish. Isn´t it that spectacular? But to be an artist u must to be alchemist to know everything u can, learn,learn learn,think,think,think,work,work,work. If you feel deep inside you that you can cut off all your life because one simple reason,,, to make ppl to feel something what u wish of them to think, than go and try yourself, step in and be prepared, here, for one little feel of happiness in your soul u will must to give a whole you, your time, nerves, nights,days. Do you have a girlfriend? With all her silly wishes about shoes,skirt, blouse,,,? Personally i dont have time for this and i think im 2 old to listen that .
    Wow, im gonna stop myself now .
    Serious game developers have no time for anyone except their game....Girlfriends and wives are for wimps ...
    If you're doing a 9-5 studio job making games, then you're life is relatively normal, but if like me you're an indie developer , you have no time for a social life until you've become successful....If you're not looking for success, fine!
    Once you've finally hit the success category, you can start to have a life again....

Although I have a game out there on iTunes already and another one ready very soon, I'm nowhere near successful yet even after two years solid hard work at 15 hours a day, seven days a week...I still put all my work before everything else..
    It would probably be easier to join a studio out there and make the same old typical nonsense games that fill all the shelves of all the retailers , but I don't want to be a sheep and copy what everyone else is doing......

Solid Snake
    You can't make the games you want to make.
    Now a days we have all of these excellent tools and distribution systems to do exactly that. As little as 7 years ago, there was no real such thing as an online distribution service that has millions of users. As little as 5 years ago there was no real such thing as an establish free engine that you can download. Now we have both Steam and Unreal Development Kit that make it possible to make games and sell them to millions of people. More than ever, millions of independent developers are emerging, and quite a lot of veterans in the game development world have actually shifted to become independent game developers. Just look at the IGF winners this year, quite a lot of them are really interesting games more so than just the idea of shooting stuff in corridors. We at Digital Confectioners work on the games we want to make and play.

The game industry is an awful place to work/
    Every work place and every work industry has good guys and bad guys. You have places like WalMart that lock their employees in to do more hours of work and you have super markets that let people work a 9am to 5pm work day. Both are in a similar industry. You have hospitality that can be equally as burdening. So while I agree that there are good guys and bad guys; I would disagree in saying that the entire industry expects you to work 80 hour weeks, drink soda and eat pizza every day. We at Digital Confectioners certainly don't here.

I have an idea for a game!
    I some what agree with this point. Like in every business, you have to have some kind of skill that is valuable to them. Unless you're a proven game designer, it's going to be hard to start out doing just that. Unless, of course, you go through the indie development route. However, in light of that, we did a game jam at the Digital Confectioners office and we had people who had never really programmed before making games using UDK. While the statements are some what still true, the wall of knowledge is definitely lessened today than ever.

Don't steal my idea! My idea is unique
    This is true. I suppose this goes with the whole idea that you never actually realize how big the world is and how many people are in it until you go traveling. And that's often true with young teens who are often arm chair commanders/soldiers/game designers.

Buzzwords!
    This is also true. Seen this a lot with start ups who want to try to topple the best because they have a "cool" game idea; and to convince others they use as many buzzwords as possible.

QA
    QA is definitely important, and there are people who actually enjoy breaking other people's code. But to closely examine it, think about every other job. What do you do? The same thing every day? The same thing that your employers pay you to do? It's really no different. I used to be a pharmacist before becoming a game developer. I sold people tablets. I did the exact same thing for four years. I could still continue to do that if required, because it paid the bills. So in my opinion, I think the point is moot. While it's not a walk in the park, and it's not all about playing games, it doesn't mean you can't have fun.

Social aspects
    Well, this depends where you work. But there are people who are married or have girl friends that work in game development companies too. But you know, the same could be said about working every where else. I worked in a factory doing the midnight shift while I was a student. I worked from 6pm till 6am everyday except Saturday and Sunday. I have literally no chance to see anyone other than family and co-workers (simply because they worked the same hours). The factory didn't make games.

Over all, it does paint a pretty grim light. But with that said, the video game industry is seen as a rock star profession and it quite simply isn't true. Sure it's cool to see and play the games that come out of the industry, but it's still hard work in the end. Whether you find it satisfying really comes down to your personality and affinity for what you do in the industry.