Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edge Detection or "Borderlands" style shader in UDK

PrawnSkunk

Edge Detection or "Borderlands" style shader in UDK

Many people are interested in having a Cel Shading/Toon/Borderlands-style shader effect as part of their level in Unreal Development Kit. It's a cool effect that really brings your level to life by making ordinary static meshes "pop out."
    Here is my abridged version of the very lengthy tutorial found in another documentation source.

Click here for the tutorial on my blog!

After Sobel Edge

Before Sobel Edge

Alex D
    Edge detection is not Cel-Shading as it does not change how the objects in the scene are shaded, it is just edge detection. On the other hand, Cel-Shading has nothing to do with edge detection in the first place, many games which make use of the effect do not make use of hard-edge outlines such as these.They are entirely separate techniques which produce entirely separate effects, they just happen to be used together more often than not. This is a very simple distinction which, it seems, is consistently misunderstood.

As far as constructive criticism of the actual tutorial goes, it would be more beneficial if you actually detailed the techniques used in the tutorial rather than just telling readers to download a file from another tutorial and use it.

PrawnSkunk
    Thank you for your post.

Yes, I know Cel-Shading =/= edge detection, but I included that phrase as part of the title and description so that people looking for a toon/borderlands/edge detection/"cel-shading" looking post process chain, they could find it easily and it would pick up those key search terms in Google or the UDK Forums.

As far as the depth of explanation in this tutorial goes, I decided not just regurgitate an already made tutorial and claim credit for it. This is quick, concise - and has all the essentials explained in a few (abridged) simple steps.

If someone truly wants to read the documentation of the full tutorial, it can be found here. (link added to OP)

I look forward to any other comments you, or anyone else may have!

Mougli
    To be honest, and I don't mean to offend, but a tutorial about how to use a tutorial sounds like taking people for idiots, especially when it originates from the official documentation. It will be more interesting for you and the community to make tutorials about things that aren't documented.

Xenobite
    speaking of Borderlands stlye, don't forget they have unique texture style
    they had some drawn ink lines on them exagerating some details and shading (hatched lines) that look like someone was using a marker pen or something like that that also added to "comic book" look

SkullKing
    Quote Originally Posted by PrawnSkunk View Post
    Thank you for your post.

Yes, I know Cel-Shading =/= edge detection, but I included that phrase as part of the title and description so that people looking for a toon/borderlands/edge detection/"cel-shading" looking post process chain, they could find it easily and it would pick up those key search terms in Google or the UDK Forums.
    Here is my constructive criticism: Change the title.

You didn´t just put cel-shading in the tittle, you made it the tittle. That´s is misleading at best. you plain said you had a tutorial about something and post a tutorial about something else completely different, Edge detecting isn´t even mentioned in the tittle or the post.

Now people looking for a cel-shading tutorial will end-up wasting their time and getting their hopes up about your useless tutorial, and people looking for edge detection would have a hard time finding your post if not for the comments correcting your error.

If you wanted people to find your tutorial when looking for cel-shading you could easily have named it [Tutorial] Edge detection(frequently used with cel-shading) or something along those lines.

Thread does not deliver. Disapointing

PrawnSkunk
    Thank you for your input on my thread, though I'm saddened you found it "disappointing" and of no value to yourself.

I've changed the thread title as suggested.
    Even though I meant "Cel-Shading-style or "Borderlands" style shader" It's good to change these things early before they get picked up by search engines.

SkullKing
    Don´t take me wrong, It is a good thing that you are trying to help the community, and it may very well help someone.

It just so happens that I want to make cel-shading in my game, and got exited that a tutorial was made available, just for it not to be about cel-shading at all.

Xenobite
    there is some good cell shading tutorial on moddb:

http://www.moddb.com/games/unreal-to...shading-in-ut3

PrawnSkunk
    Thanks everyone for their input. This tutorial seems to have gained popularity, so in the future I will definitely look to create more tutorials for the community