Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 401

Thread: Blender 2.57 ASE export

  1. #11
    rogacz
    Guest
    Why would i use ase exporter over fbx one (when working from blender)? Asking more out of curiosity as I ll probably be creating only placeholders as im more interested in programming.

  2. #12
    ilguano
    Guest
    This is awsome man! I was waiting patiently for a propper script for this. I really wanted to stop using old 2.49
    Thank you so much. You should enable a "Donate!" section in your site.

  3. #13
    ilguano
    Guest

    Quote Originally Posted by rogacz View Post
    Why would i use ase exporter over fbx one (when working from blender)? Asking more out of curiosity as I ll probably be creating only placeholders as im more interested in programming.
    Well simply because FBX don't work that good yet :S

  4. #14
    MCampagnini
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ilguano View Post
    You should enable a "Donate!" section in your site.
    it's there...snug at the bottom of the post

    At the moment Blender has issues exporting from most UDK file formats. The goal is to get Blender in the position where it can be used just as well as any other $$$$ modeling package...starting with the ASE Exporter.

    Latest updates:
    Will not export the material if:
    • The material is not found on any mesh face
    • The texture image slot is not a unique image file

    The reasons for this are to avoid adding materials that are duplicates and/or unused.

    Other updates
    • Added a checkbox option to triangulate the mesh or not
    • Will not export any materials applied to the collision model (must have UCX_ prefix, ill add the other prefixes later)

    Time to work on the multiple uv maps!

  5. #15
    Odedge
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rogacz View Post
    Why would i use ase exporter over fbx one (when working from blender)? Asking more out of curiosity as I ll probably be creating only placeholders as im more interested in programming.
    For what it's worth, having MCampagnini updating the script also helps out the UT 3 (and possibly other communities) that can only use .ase as a proper import option.

    Quote Originally Posted by MCampagnini View Post
    i
    Other updates
    • Added a checkbox option to triangulate the mesh or not
    • Will not export any materials applied to the collision model (must have UCX_ prefix, ill add the other prefixes later)

    Nice progress.

  6. #16
    Analdin
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MCampagnini View Post
    it's there...snug at the bottom of the post

    At the moment Blender has issues exporting from most UDK file formats. The goal is to get Blender in the position where it can be used just as well as any other $$$$ modeling package...starting with the ASE Exporter.

    Latest updates:
    Will not export the material if:
    • The material is not found on any mesh face
    • The texture image slot is not a unique image file

    The reasons for this are to avoid adding materials that are duplicates and/or unused.

    Other updates
    • Added a checkbox option to triangulate the mesh or not
    • Will not export any materials applied to the collision model (must have UCX_ prefix, ill add the other prefixes later)

    Time to work on the multiple uv maps!
    Nice progress!
    I have a question, though: Does smooth-grouping by Vert Splitting work with the exported .ase?

    //e: I was too stupid to read the posts above; it's nice that someone's planning to integrate smoothgroups and multi-UVs!

  7. #17
    Odedge
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MCampagnini View Post

    • Will not export any materials applied to the collision model (must have UCX_ prefix, ill add the other prefixes later)

    I updated my site with version 1.0.3. Regarding the above change, you still need to assign a material/texture/image and UV map the collision object for the exporter to work.

    I presumed that if you had the UCX_ prefix, the exporter wouldn't require that object to have a material or UV map since it will be invisible in the game.

    I just wanted to clear this up for others.

    p.s. Out of curiosity, is there a way to permanently change the scale value in Blender to 1? I build all my meshes at the same size as they would be in UT 3.

  8. #18
    MCampagnini
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Odedge View Post
    [/LIST]
    I presumed that if you had the UCX_ prefix, the exporter wouldn't require that object to have a material or UV map since it will be invisible in the game.
    That is the plan, I only made it so it doesn't export the materials / textures - a later release will complete this and allow it to pass other checks. Working on the uv mapping issues now, I am hoping to wrap it up today or tomorrow.

    Not sure if this will help, but in Blender I use a scale of 1.00, with 16 lines, and 10 subdivisions (press n in viewport and go to display). The exporter scales it up x16 for UDK. See if that works for you.

  9. #19
    Odedge
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MCampagnini View Post
    Not sure if this will help, but in Blender I use a scale of 1.00, with 16 lines, and 10 subdivisions (press n in viewport and go to display). The exporter scales it up x16 for UDK. See if that works for you.
    I tried it, but the issue for me is that it's too hard to tell when you are on the "1" grid unit and you can go lower.

    I set my scale to 64 and subdivisions to 8. The scale of 64 won't let you see lower than a 1x1 grid, which makes more sense to me when making something to use in the Unreal editor.

  10. #20
    MCampagnini
    Guest
    just to give everyone an update on where i'm at -

    im about 95% done with the code to allow for multiple uv's, just one line of code left that i have to figure out to tie it all together (thanks to the Blender Foundation jokesters who think API docs should consist of only function names, not descriptions and examples )

    getting there, i'll do another post and video on my site when i upload it.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •