Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What has Paul been up-to?

KazeoHin
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcusrafaelft View Post
    The POM looks enviably amazing, I'm sure that a lot of people would love that, even now with tessellation ;D (like me! xD) ! And the creatures, everything xD, your really good =)! Also I was looking into your creatures and I havent noticed any Normal Map 'seams', I always have problems with this xD, do you know any effective way to hide it?
    Hey man, thanks for the kind words! I can give you a tip involving normal seams that works well for me. I usually disguise UV seams in the flow of muscles, skin and whatnot. If you have a close look at the Meta-human, the shot of his back actually shows off a ton of UV seams. I hide them in skin wrinkles, muscle folds, fat rolls etc. Harder to do on smother surfaces, and I'm far from perfect, but it can really help spruce up your artwork.

skwisdemon666
    Love your fire effect, I'm going to try to make cloth fire myself (after I finish my cape). Reminds me of the torches by the line to the Tomb Raider ride at King's Island. Your doing some really inspiring effects work. Maybe in the future try something with ice, I don't see it done that well very often. You could really make use of that SSFR. I can't wait to see more.

skwisdemon666
    Just curious on how you got around the reflection node not working with non-transparent materials. I have been playing around and trying to get a similar effect to what you have done but the roadblock seems to be that it won't even work with soft-masked (which is my go-to when i want transparency without turning the whole thing into a ghost)

KazeoHin
    All if my SSFR demonstration materials are using translucent blending. Back in UT3, you could sample the scene texture using opaque materials, but that functionality was removed in later versions of the engine. If Epic could re-introduce this ability that would be awesome.

ambershee
    ^ Indeed. I've played with your effect, but I've never managed to simplify it significantly without being able to make the material opaque. One strategy that does work is to render the scenetexture to something else in code, and blit that into the final material, but this has it's own associated costs.

KazeoHin
    I had my SSFR working as post-process effect initially, which is MUCH cheaper to render, and you can sum the whole thing up with a differed approach, but without the ability to code in differed layers to mask out non-reflective materials, the post-process route is useless, as it gives EVERYTHING a 'clear coat'. Something for you code jockeys to have a think about.

ambershee
    The only way to be selective is to render to a different screen buffer, which UDK doesn't have built in unfortunately. The things you can do with an additional screen buffer to render to!

KazeoHin
    Unreal uses differed rendering to render its dominant lights. Does epic allow access to the HLSL render source?

ambershee
    Quote Originally Posted by KazeoHin View Post
    Does epic allow access to the HLSL render source?
    In old versions of UDK you can access the uncompiled USF source. It's been compiled for quite a while though.

KazeoHin

Just a little Something I've been working on...

No literally, his name is Something.