Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New grass mesh, how to create? How "epic" did it?

AlexCGart

New grass mesh, how to create? How "epic" did it?

Hi,
    I'd like to ask you guys about grass meshes. In many games I see that grass made like planes with opacity map. In UDK I see something different, in wireframe grass looks like lines, but in render mode it's same as planes with opacity map.
    So here is the question, how Epic's did this grass? How can I create new grass mesh, what I need to use, any tools?
    Just "plane-grass" drops fps more than grass from basic udk library. Where is the trick?

Thnx,
    Alex

apophis3d
    Pretty sure they did it with the speed tree plugin in UDK

pulse0o0
    Their grass was just modeled as it has around 1500 tris on a single patch of grass so I am not sure why a plane opacity map version of the grass would reduce more FPS than the modeled out one?

AlexCGart
    Problem is still not solved.

pulse0o0
    I answered it for you they modeled it. As stated in my previous post.

Spoondog
    Even though the modeled blades have more polys, they are faster because there is no overdraw (Farcry 2 did it that way aswell). They probably just modeled it in max.

HavocInferno
    and how do you make them being affected by wind? epic's grass waves around in the wind

AlexCGart
    Guys, take a look at udk grass without textures in editor - it's like 3 polygons for each "blade". They didn't modeled it with huge polycount. Something another here.. and I don't know what.

Spoondog
    and how do you make them being affected by wind?
    Look at the material for the grass - it will use World Offset Position and vertex colours to move the grass around.

pulse0o0
    Well whether or not it's like "3 polygons for each blade" which it isn't I realize that is an exaggeration that doesn't change the fact that the small patch of grass is 150 tris and the large one is 1300, they are the same static mesh and it will be rendered as if your are seeing all of them even if you aren't. But as I see it they made many planes, use opacity and a World Position Offset.