Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Inventory Demo

Matt Doyle
    You're going to want to look at the 3D inventory tech demo file: GFxProjectedUI.uc for all the 3d rotation stuff - as well as the HUD wrapper class (UTGFxHudWrapper.uc) where the inventory screen is toggled on/off.

In our original tech demo, the player is put into 3rd person mode, and his head follows the inventory selection as you make selections, but it doesn't do that anymore.

I didn't built that tech demo, so I couldn't tell you exactly how that was done, but my best advice to you is to review those script files.

Well, Matt, not to hijack this thread, but this was the straw that broke the camel's back.
    I have officially made a bookmark folder called "Matt's Gems" because I had so many bookmarks of your responses to questions.

I hope you hear this all the time, but just in case you don't, you are doing an incredible job with support in these forums. I have worked with many 3rd party APIs in different game engines, and never have I seen support of this caliber. Thanks again, your responses in this thread could be made into a tutorial by themselves.

When I start working on the UI for my project again, I might just make a video explaining the Inventory demo based on your comments, if that's cool with you.

Is there any reason for hiding the labels and actions layer in a flashfile? And when a file is hidden, is it still exported and read by the compiler?

Matt Doyle
    By hidden I assume you mean setting a layer to be a guide layer? If so, that layer is not compiled into the SWF file.

No, just pressing on the dot under the eye so if there is content in the layer that it becomes unvisible. I was just checking the flashfiles and noticed some layers were hidden and one of those were an action and label layer. I was wondering of this had any special meaning?

Matt Doyle
    Oh - no that has no effect on compile.

This is maybe a stupid question, but how do you debug your unrealscriptclasses of gfx ?
    I tried to use log and ClientMessage but they give errors.

Edit: looks like 'log works.

Edit2: I want to let my hud be floating above a pawn in third person. is the best way to make a material with the swf and assign it to a plane that I link to the pawn or is there a better method?

I am a bit stuck on this so srry for the double post.

Like you suggested I looked at those classes and I have now written my own class. But I couldnt get the effect what I wanted. Like you can see here.

The problem here is that the UI is always in front of the playercamera while I want that the UI will be above a charackter in front of me. Floating above his head. The good thing is that here the UI gets the mouseinput. So that works well.

I wanted to solve the problem of the UI that has to float above a player. So I tried to assign a material with a rendertotexture2d to a plane. Like you can see here the UI is visible but the colors are gone and there is no mouseinput.

I already edited in kismet the property "Take Focus" and "Capture Input" of the Open GFx Movie node. But nothing happens.

Could you help me a bit pleas ?

Nobody has an idea? I saw that there was a focus node in the previous version of udk. Why is this gone and what do you have to do now?

I hope somebody can help me.

Matt Doyle
    I'm not familiar with how to do this, otherwise I'd offer some pointers. I do believe that capture input and take focus seem kind of broken in September UDK in Kismet. If you have capture input set to true, that movie will capture input no matter where you are in the level.

I believe the way we did 3D inventory window in the previous builds (window rendered behind player gun) was with some modifications that no longer exist in the new builds. So in order to find out how we did it, I'll need to dig around in an older version. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do that right now.

I do know you can capture mouse input from UnrealScript as well. Some default properties to consider when doing something like this include:

bIgnoreMouseInput=FALSE // this determines whether the mouse is captured or not
        bPauseGameWhileActive=TRUE // do you want your game paused when this is open?
        bDisplayWithHudOff = TRUE // do you want the HUD displayed while this is open?