Page 67 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Thread: UCBP Beta C-2014 Upload (mutators and maps from Unreal Championship 1 & 2)

ut2k4 player
    Can anyone else take up the job? I, myself am a novice at best espcially with vector gfx

Skred
    Quote Originally Posted by ut2k4 player View Post
    Can anyone else take up the job? I, myself am a novice at best espcially with vector gfx
    I don't know who would be up for it, but ya never know who will come along an help out. I do think it would be fairly easy to totally "re paint" those textures in photoshop, but it would just be a little time consuming; a luxury I do not have right now.

I would just open the originals, size them up to 1024x1024 pixels, create a new layer, and begin to paint the shape kind of like tracing a drawing or something. Then the alpha masks can be generated from that very easily. You just go to channels, then click "add a new channel," paste the properly selected pixel info from your repainted texture, make sure the correct areas are black and white respectively, and save it as a .tga file and you should have a fully functional team symbol. It may help to export a team symbol from UT2004 and look at it's channel properties as a guide if you're unfamiliar with the process. Then, when you import the texture into UT2004, just make sure you have "alpha texture" checked when you import it.

Just try one Ut2k4 player, you may suprise yourself.

Sly.
    Or in other words as a little checklist:
    1. Open texture in Photoshop
    2. Resize to needed size
    3. Create new empty layer
    4. Paint higher detail team symbol over the old one
    5. Delete original texture layer when done
    6. Save as *.tga
    7. (Import into UEd.)

That's also how I usually do the textures except that I keep the original in case I'll need it. Talking about them, now that I'm back on track and have sparetime, time to continue work.

Skred
    Quote Originally Posted by Sly. View Post
    Or in other words as a little checklist:
    1. Open texture in Photoshop
    2. Resize to needed size
    3. Create new empty layer
    4. Paint higher detail team symbol over the old one
    5. Delete original texture layer when done
    6. create alpha channel
    7. Save as *.tga
    8. (Import into UEd.)
    That's also how I usually do the textures except that I keep the original in case I'll need it. Talking about them, now that I'm back on track and have sparetime, time to continue work.
    One addition

!!! Happy to hear you're working on things again. I'd just be happy to get the shock rifle texture!!!

I did some pretty hefty stuff this past week while I was on Spring Break. I managed to get all the maps to use one externalized .utx file. It seemed to me that it was rather "wasteful" to have the levels sharing many textures and yet each map file size was swollen due to have enourmous myLevel packages. Plus, it'll put a fairly comprehensive texture file out there for other mappers to use in the future. There are also some minor visual improvements with that came with the territory. As it was all streamlined, some shaders have been improved and thigns like that. Fallbacks are in place and all kinds of nice stuff like that. Some of these levels were started so long ago, I just knew so much less about using UE2 and so forth. Going back through it all with a better understanding of everything and MORE EXPERIENCE made a noticeable difference to me. Most people probably won't notice anything spectacular, but I notice it. This may sound silly, but I got the big pillars in Praxis and Horizon to have a "shine" to them like the other shaders so prevalent in those levels. I had problems with it in the past. It's strange, but those pillars, and many of the meshes I authored in Maya would "freak out" if you tried to apply a new texture to them. The "specular" would become warped lookign and just screw the look of the mesh up. I think if the mesh is over 500 polys or so and you use a shader, you better have it right before you apply the shader to it....just a theory. Anyhow, I had tried and tried to get that mesh to have a properly shiny shader on it. If I still had Maya, I couls just re-export the mesh, but that's not been an option for a long time now:/ Well, I figured out that somehow when I did Turmoil, I guess I exported the mesh seperately and it was SHINEYYYY. So I did a little rename to it, to make it different that the previosly existent pillar, and it WORKED! So I am happy as hell....lol SHINEY PILLARZZZZ make me happy....lololol

!!!
    I did some pretty hefty stuff this past week while I was on Spring Break. I managed to get all the maps to use one externalized .utx file. It seemed to me that it was rather "wasteful" to have the levels sharing many textures and yet each map file size was swollen due to have enourmous myLevel packages. Plus, it'll put a fairly comprehensive texture file out there for other mappers to use in the future. There are also some minor visual improvements with that came with the territory. As it was all streamlined, some shaders have been improved and thigns like that. Fallbacks are in place and all kinds of nice stuff like that. Some of these levels were started so long ago, I just knew so much less about using UE2 and so forth. Going back through it all with a better understanding of everything and MORE EXPERIENCE made a noticeable difference to me. Most people probably won't notice anything spectacular, but I notice it. This may sound silly, but I got the big pillars in Praxis and Horizon to have a "shine" to them like the other shaders so prevalent in those levels. I had problems with it in the past. It's strange, but those pillars, and many of the meshes I authored in Maya would "freak out" if you tried to apply a new texture to them. The "specular" would become warped lookign and just screw the look of the mesh up. I think if the mesh is over 500 polys or so and you use a shader, you better have it right before you apply the shader to it....just a theory. Anyhow, I had tried and tried to get that mesh to have a properly shiny shader on it. If I still had Maya, I couls just re-export the mesh, but that's not been an option for a long time now:/ Well, I figured out that somehow when I did Turmoil, I guess I exported the mesh seperately and it was SHINEYYYY. So I did a little rename to it, to make it different that the previosly existent pillar, and it WORKED! So I am happy as hell....lol SHINEY PILLARZZZZ make me happy....lololol

Skred
    I'll be off from school for about a week or two in about 3 weeks. (like may 5th through about the 17th) At that time I am going to try to put out a pretty big update to the pack.

Things I plan/hope to have in there:

-Maps with externalized packages/deflated mylevel package and map size which should reduce the filesize of the pack as a whole
    -Link Gun Medic included (100GPing's mutator)
    -1-2 new levels
    -Possibly the UC2 Sniper Rifle as configureable option in the weapons mutator (replace classic sniper with LG or UC2Sniper)
    -Add UC2 characters to the zip
    -(hope) Sly can have some of the remaining weapon textures ready to go

Private Tux

Smile

Long time to planning your work m8. Well, I guess I downloading your map pack (in Beta) first, luckily school's out in my country today because it's Summer though. Have fun with your school and keep going mate (for as long as new maps/mutators were developed and release them)!

VoodooMaster
    Shameless bump to this.
    Lol

Glad this project is still active, hope this eventually gets finished.

Skred
    Ain't no shame in yo bump mayn

It will get finished very soon. I've been sorting through the levels and gettting them more tidy in terms of disc space and stuff like that. I'm going to add the character models to the pack very soon, and Sly should have us those last 2 textures pretty soon (I hope:P)

Almost there. I'm about to be on break from school for a few weeks, and I'm only taking one class this summer so I should (not guaranteed) have time to get this all "perfected" to how it should be.

I may even whip out the old Xbox and do ONE more UC2 level. Most likely: DM-Axon Compressor. I'm not promising any new levels, but we'll see. I would need someone to make a few static meshes for me to do Axon Compressor though, but I think only one or two. One of which I have a "version" of, it would just need a wedged 90 degree turn on its end. Or Maybe Tempest....those are the candidates that come to mind off hand.

lowenz
    Thanks!

We're all waiting for this

doomster666
    yeah c'mon skred for all us die hard Unreal Tournament Fans you can do it!