Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Unreal Old Friends Map Pack

SEBASTIEN-NOVA
    Quote Originally Posted by Gussie[MK] View Post
    P.S. Crazy bastard not sure what your diliberate out of order slight review is all about obviously you have a chip you your shoulder. - deal with it and get on with your bad self and don't knock skilled talent like this unless you really are just a crazy bastard on the reals.
    Hey Gussie, keep cool man, Cr4zy is a well know mapper over there and he just give some constructive critisim, nothing else, no offense

Seems like you all had a great time on this pack, - kudos to all of ya and thx for sharing and contributing.
    thx !

Bl!tz~
    thx all for support; encouragements and taking time to share ur feelings & comments

peace

Thrallala
    Hi there!
    Thanks for all feedback and kind words, it's a great bunch of maps and I'm glad you guys like what we've done.

Also big thanks to the entire UOF crew, had a blast working with all of you on this pack, I'm sure the UT3 community haven't seen the last of us

Incinerate - Another stunner by Thrallala. Map has some nice open z-axis. Looks awesome, but also hurts the FPS quite a bit. Especially on max details. Standing on rooftops or up at the sniper I was dropping to 40FPS. Loving Batman though ;P. Also some quite insane LOS down the corridors, you can easy stand on the red sides stinger and see the blue sides flag. Final tyhing i went to get the deemer, then got stuck on a bad collision and died as a result. But i havent got stuck twice, so not sure what happened.
    I kinda rushed this map, I should have planned it better cause in the end there was pretty much nothing more I could do for the fps than rebuilding most of the map and at that time that wasn't an option.

Hibernate - Looks amazing! Not that I would expect any less from Thrallala I think the fog could have been ess, it seems quite bright. Love the loo of the icey rocks in the background, and the skybox fits in well too. Found a few little collisions that i got stuck on, most annoying was at sniper where the beams are on the curved window areas, each one has its own collision so you can get stuck inbetween them.
    I should have added better collisions for those beams @ the sniper area, must have slipped my mind

TIPPER
    Great job guys. I do have a favorite but I'm not telling

1XTreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Bl!tz~ View Post
    thx all for support; encouragements and taking time to share ur feelings & comments

peace
    I'm good with that!

@Crazy Bastard (i certainly do admire your maps and your work) - maybe you have heard of Sneh? (there is a pretty kewl audio track remixed my him included with the CTF-UOF-AndAction! map) - I wasn't aware that anyone else had remade the map with the exception of my former 2K9 release, there is an explanation in the readme file included with my map.

Besides the audio selling point, - i have to edit this post and word it better because i think my first reaction probably came off wrong the same as me thinking that the comments about AA were critical or singling out my work.

Obviously we all have very different styles, tastes and preferences. Some designers like large maps some like small maps, some like HOLP maps some like Next-gen style and some are in the middle.

Hopefully we can all appreciate that all of us come from different points of view and different worlds as far as our taste and such, personally i enjoy fierce action and a serious challenge, some other authors might enjoy a slower more laid back pace i tend to think it typically shows in the designers release.

As far as the map i contributed to this pack; we have incredible fun on it! - IF ya play on lan this map is great 5 vs 5 AI, and if ya took time to read the readme file then you should know that this AI doesn't miss a beat bro.

@everyone else; i'm sorry i originally intended to have CTF-RainBase in this pack, thankfully when i injured myself my good friends in OUF suggested that i go with this as a contingency

Syphix
    P.S. Crazy bastard not sure what your diliberate out of order slight review is all about obviously you have a chip you your shoulder. - deal with it and get on with your bad self and don't knock skilled talent like this unless you really are just a crazy bastard on the reals.
    From where I am standing, it sounds like you have the chip on your shoulder. Crazy gave the most thorough review so far. If people are going to submit their work to be played by the public, then people are going to judge it. Very few maps ever come close to being perfect, so there is always room for improvements. By commenting critically on a map, you highlight those areas and these can either be changed on that map, or be taken into account in future builds.

Now I can't comment myself as I have not downloaded and played. But I am sure if I was going to take the time to actually critically review the map (which it is clear that crazy has done), then I would probably have a few things to say. That does not mean I have an issue with any of the mappers. Also one has to come to expect that you cannot please everyone. People want different things, all the time, alot of which contradict each other.

Anyway, nice work guys. Good to see you finally got it out.

Cr4zy
    I was giving my honest opinion and trying to give the mappers something to imp[rove on, it may have come across harsh, but when i get feedback i prefer people to tell me the truth and not try to be kind.

If you like it all well and good, but i play this game with high skilled players and dont often play pub games, my views on a map will differ to most peoples, not sure what your problem is with it. Everyone can improve and i was trying to show them where, at the end of it they're their maps and if they dont want to implement my thoughts they do not have to

Quote Originally Posted by SEBASTIEN-NOVA View Post
    About my map Aero :
    I have think to that too, but too late to do it, but if we release a fix version of the pack, I will make that possible!

This feature was controversial in our beta test, some like it, some found it annoying like you, a question of tast, but again I will think to that if we release a fix
    Glad you didn't hate me for the feedback. At first sight they looked possible once you play more and know they aren't possible you get used to it, it doesnt hurt the flow, it would have just been nice, if you fix i that would be nice, but it's your map do what you want

Yeah i accept you can't please everyone, being a mapper i know how hard it is to get everything right. Was still one of, if not the nicest gameplay wise in the pack imo

edit: oops didnt see page 2 :P

Quote Originally Posted by Thrallala View Post
    I kinda rushed this map, I should have planned it better cause in the end there was pretty much nothing more I could do for the fps than rebuilding most of the map and at that time that wasn't an option.

I should have added better collisions for those beams @ the sniper area, must have slipped my mind
    Hey if theres nothing you forgot in a map you'd be on a good payroll :P There are always small issues

Quote Originally Posted by 1XTreme View Post
    @Crazy Bastard - surely you have heard of Sneh?
    Besides that selling point, - obviously you and me come from 2 entirely different worlds - (while i do admire your maps and your work) - this is everything you should have released if you like the action - and you didn't - bud i do and i did, so that's it bro. - Look man this isn't about flexing my muscles or tooting my horn - its just about the action brought forward UT3 style man - what more can i say?
    Not sure what your gig is but if your ever up for some pure flat out action play my map and crank the music -- We have incredible fun on it! - IF ya play on lan this map is great 5 vs 5 AI, and if ya took time to read the readme file then you should know that this AI doesn't miss a beat bro.
    Im not saying it's a bad remake, and as i stated i dont play with music on I was meerly stating that there are already several version of the map, nothing wrong with improving your skills, however i do prefer original maps :x

Quote Originally Posted by Syphix View Post
    From where I am standing, it sounds like you have the chip on your shoulder. Crazy gave the most thorough review so far. If people are going to submit their work to be played by the public, then people are going to judge it. Very few maps ever come close to being perfect, so there is always room for improvements. By commenting critically on a map, you highlight those areas and these can either be changed on that map, or be taken into account in future builds.
    Now I can't comment myself as I have not downloaded and played. But I am sure if I was going to take the time to actually critically review the map (which it is clear that crazy has done), then I would probably have a few things to say. That does not mean I have an issue with any of the mappers. Also one has to come to expect that you cannot please everyone. People want different things, all the time, alot of which contradict each other.
    Exactly this, i don't mean to offend anyone, although it may have come across harsh, usually being harsh is the best way to let people know. If you go all soft on them they might not take notice or change it at all. As i said, i prefer people to be honest and get to the point about issues they have in my maps. I try to please them by fixing or adding things they suggest. if i can't or feel that to me it wouldn't hep i won't do it. Im not trying to force anyone to do anything, just to give them some help at improving.

diesalot
    Thanks for all the comments / feedback guys much appretiated.

@Crazy. The lighting was something that the guys mentioned but i wanted to keep with realism.
    Like the other guys said if theres to be an updated version. Its the main area i intend to work on.
    Thanks for the review my man.

Cr4zy
    Quote Originally Posted by diesalot View Post
    Thanks for all the comments / feedback guys much appretiated.

@Crazy. The lighting was something that the guys mentioned but i wanted to keep with realism.
    Like the other guys said if theres to be an updated version. Its the main area i intend to work on.
    Thanks for the review my man.
    Realisim is cool, and it does look more realistic, but this is UT ^^ . I mean the gameplay is solid, but i do like to do awesome lighting.