Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I make a PP material that desaterate Green,Blue but Not red?

Oblivion2500

Question How can I make a PP material that desaterate Green,Blue but Not red?

How can I make a material in Unreal Editor that desaturated only blue and green but red is still saturated. I want to make a Post Process filter that keeps only the red color but everything else is black & white? I do not have a lot of experience with the unreal editor but others showing me pictures or the .upk file, show me how you did it. I am a visual learner...

Here is a example of what I want:

Sp4der
    why don't you use a post-processing volume?
    otherwise, you could try make a red-translucent material,
    so that only red light can pass through...

Syphix
    Post processing volumes are not colour specific afaik, so the best you could do using that method would be to totally desaturate the entire level, and then highlight in red. This would not achieve what you want though.

I have been experimenting with materials and have come up with a result similar to what you want, but maybe not so pronounced. With a little more fiddling you may be able to get a better look, I don't know. Anyway this is what I did.

Connect the texture sample to two Masks, select one as (G), one as (R). Put in a Clamp and connect the (G) mask to the min value and the (R) mask to the max value. Also connect the same texture sample to the input on the clamp. This should create a filter for only Red on that texture. Just before the textures are inputted into the final material, you need to have the standard texture completely desaturated, and then use the Add function to combine the desaturated texture and the Clamped texture, which should create a black and white texture with only the red showing. The failing in this method is that it will show the reds in other colours, such as orange and lilac, they will just be a different shade of red to anything that was originally red. I am sure with more adjustments and a better clamping method these could be removed, but I haven't experimented for too long.

Oblivion2500
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphix View Post
    Post processing volumes are not colour specific afaik, so the best you could do using that method would be to totally desaturate the entire level, and then highlight in red. This would not achieve what you want though.

I have been experimenting with materials and have come up with a result similar to what you want, but maybe not so pronounced. With a little more fiddling you may be able to get a better look, I don't know. Anyway this is what I did.

Connect the texture sample to two Masks, select one as (G), one as (R). Put in a Clamp and connect the (G) mask to the min value and the (R) mask to the max value. Also connect the same texture sample to the input on the clamp. This should create a filter for only Red on that texture. Just before the textures are inputted into the final material, you need to have the standard texture completely desaturated, and then use the Add function to combine the desaturated texture and the Clamped texture, which should create a black and white texture with only the red showing. The failing in this method is that it will show the reds in other colours, such as orange and lilac, they will just be a different shade of red to anything that was originally red. I am sure with more adjustments and a better clamping method these could be removed, but I haven't experimented for too long.
    Can you print screen and show me the picture instead please? But I will try that. P.S. I also have to make a texture sample of what?

plugh
    Here's a simple colour pass filter, it might be what you're looking for :

[SHOT]http://www.plugh.co.uk/images/stuff/colourpassfilter.jpg[/SHOT]

Syphix
    Quote Originally Posted by plugh View Post

Go with that one. The effect is a lot better than I achieved :P

plugh
    Well it works fine with the base colours of red, green and blue. It would be nice to know how to get it working with colours such as yellow, if I get time I'll have a play.

Oblivion2500
    Well it works fine with the base colours of red, green and blue. It would be nice to know how to get it working with colours such as yellow, if I get time I'll have a play.
    Do I need a texture to make the PP effect? or no?

plugh
    I believe you need to replace the Texture Sample in the material with a Scene Texture Sample, in it's properties set ScreenAlign to true. You will also need to set up a Post Process Effect using your new material. You must then edit your UTEngine.ini, and change the DefaultPostProcess to point to your new Post Process Effect.

Here's a UDK tutorial which may help somewhat : http://www.daveprout.com/hack-this/2...cts-chain.html

Oblivion2500

Can you give me that round rainbow texture for me to download? What is Param 'CutDesaturation' and Param 'PassColour'? Sorry I am sort of new to post process materials.