Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: UDK for Linux

DiegoBM
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrandonS View Post
    Well the official licensing website, along with wikipedia and several other sites, shows that they only support the PC (for computers), which is to say they only support windows. It also states that it uses Direct X, which is not available on any computer platform besides windows. I am not aware of a single Linux or OS X game built on UE3, if such a game exist it is most likely a custom port. As another point of fact neither UT3 or GOW2 supports OS X or Linux, if they took the time to port their engine to these platforms it makes no sense to exclude them when selling a game.
    PS3 games runs upon Linux, and there is no need to say that PS3 doen't and won't support Direct X. But UE3 definitely exists on Linux. Maybe the point is that is not really easy to sepparate the elements os UE3 that constitute UDK (remember that UDK is not "exactly" UE3), I mean binary side from source. Or maybe it's just a matter of libraries. There is a vast amount of linux distros to run on. Who knows. The point is to get into work with the resources we currently have. I guess that there is always a price to pay... for example if you want to make iPhone games you must buy a mac... Well you actally need a Windows machine (or virtual machine) to create games for UDK. But I bet that there will be a Linux version in the future

spooky_paul
    Don't get me wrong, I am psyched and I do appreciate the opportunity we are presented and that tinkering with UE for the masses is better supported, I am only emphasizing why we don't have access to those builds.

I believe that the "corporate way" is more detailed than "cash for every bit of product", being composed of complicated and delicate market maneuvers. Add to that the low interest in the end user and you've got yourself the "corporate way".

It's not asking for every platform that the engine supports, its asking for the PC only. As most of the market is now on consoles I find releasing the UDK for Linux still suiting the interests that brought the UDK in the first place.

I am not sure how supporting Linux will affect costs, but if they have a sole code-base it wont be that of a difference.

DiegoBM
    Well of course it's more complicated than what I said, but you now what I'm trying to say ^_^.
    I don't think that they are specifically trying to bother a certain market such as Linux, this along with the "good intentions" shown providing this UDk version is why I think that to create a Linux version must be more than meets the eye. Who knows...

spooky_paul
    Well the official licensing website, along with wikipedia and several other sites, shows that they only support the PC (for computers), which is to say they only support windows. It also states that it uses Direct X, which is not available on any computer platform besides windows. I am not aware of a single Linux or OS X game built on UE3, if such a game exist it is most likely a custom port. As another point of fact neither UT3 or GOW2 supports OS X or Linux, if they took the time to port their engine to these platforms it makes no sense to exclude them when selling a game.
    It can't support only DirectX. We have Bioshock on the PS3, and the PS3 devkit is based on a special breed of opengl.

Choosing the platforms to release to is not as "support everything we've got". There are a lot of market intrests regarding units sold, piracy on the given platform, support costs, so on and so forth.

And from what I know Microsoft Game Studios is the publisher for GoW. C'mon, would they support Linux? :P

DiegoBM
    Quote Originally Posted by spooky_paul View Post
    It can't support only DirectX. We have Bioshock on the PS3, and the PS3 devkit is based on a special breed of opengl.

Choosing the platforms to release to is not as "support everything we've got". There are a lot of market intrests regarding units sold, piracy on the given platform, support costs, so on and so forth.

And from what I know Microsoft Game Studios is the publisher for GoW. C'mon, would they support Linux? :P
    xDDD good point indeed, but do you really think that Microsoft is behind this? Even though GoW was published by MGS, the UE3 is completely a property of Epic. Now you made me wonder... xDDD

I have just thought that even though the engine itself has been ported to PS3, that doesn't mean that the development tools have also been ported... Maybe all the development studios behind UT3 tittles made their work in windows. If you think about it all those maps, scripts and config files created with the development tools are just intermediate files processed by the binary engine (a bunch of dynamic libraries along with a executable). What I mean is that maybe there exist a raw binary version of the engine for Linux but just the Windows version of the development environment. Just another option?

spooky_paul
    Hmm, this could be it. Not the full UDK ported to Linux, but only the executable we run the game with to be recompiled for Linux! This way the development still takes place on Win, but the games can run on Linux.

DiegoBM
    If that's it, I guess it should be coming... Waiting is our only choice anyway ^_^U

spooky_paul
    Waiting will get us nowhere. Getting people, allot of people, interested and psyched about this might draw the boys upstairs' attention.

Its like with any feature for any software: I will be done if it will be needed. Not by the few, but the many.

zoltanjr
    The PS3 isn't a linux operating system natively. And also you don't need a mac to make iphone games either. Unity is an engine which will let you publish straight to pc,mac,iphone or wii without any troubles. And I use my PC to publish to all these formats never had to use a mac for it. As for non games the iphone uses cocoa for scripting so you still don't need a mac to be able to write that

Jazz
    It also states that it uses Direct X, which is not available on any computer platform besides windows
    PS3 does not support DX, though it support embed OpenGL
    As another point of fact neither UT3 or GOW2 supports OS X or Linux
    Fact 1: UT3 is ported on OS X and Linux ( http://icculus.org/cgi-bin/finger/fi...ate=2008-09-18 )

Fact 2: We don't have access to any information about Linux/Mac port for no reason. Ryan keeps working, but not over UT3 port.