Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: UDK/UT3 Video Tutorials List and Support Thread

geodav
    ok take a tip from me, watch my videos, make you own weapon first, learn how to use 3ds max, then try again.

the thing called group is you weapon, it is a "Group" mesh eg lots of parts "grouped" together you need to ungroup it then attach all the parts together, in the "select by name lister" (hotkey H) make sure you can see everything you may have switched something off

Anartist

Offline developers need an offline reference zip of udk docs

Thanks to everyone who posts tutorials and example files about the UDK

I switched to UDK from valve recently

I am offline
    all of you good folks are probably permanently connected with high speed umbilicals
    I get about 3 hours max at the library

I really need an offline html of the entire udk dox wiki

By now some bright human must have already gathered all the pages and zipped them so they wouldn't have to dl them again

can someone link me to such a repository of useful study material?

video tuts aren't what I really need, the udk dox are getting pretty complete
    but what's with the online only format.

I'm looking forward to improvements in an already very robust dev environment.

geodav
    @Anartist you may not have noticed that on the UDK doc site "UDN" it states that people should "NOT" make an offline version.

i on average get ca 2 hour per day on a computer - to do my game - to do tutorials - to help on this forum - and to have fun - but i do have a fast-ish connection

HEEROYUY
    Really enjoying the tutorials ive seen so far, the 40K stuff is awesome, great stuff!

Suit and Tie
    I'm following your videos for setting up the folders and making the gametype, but I've run into two problems.

First, in my UTGame.uc file, I don't have this section that is in your video:

"DefaultMapPrefixes (0) = (Prefix="DM",GameType="UTGame.UTDeathmatch")
    DefaultMapPrefixes (1) = (Prefix="CTF",GameType="UTGameContent.UTCTFGame_Co ntent")
    DefaultMapPrefixes (3) = (Prefix="VCTF",GameType="UTGameContent.UTVehicleCT FGame_Content")"

Secondly, when you run the Game at the end of video 2, where yours says, "GeoDeathmatch" mine comes out saying, "DavCorp.GeoDeathmatch"

Where am I going wrong?

geodav
    your not going wrong at all, when i recorded those video's (12.2009) that was all correct, since then there have been changes to the UDK code including the UTGame code witch is why those lines are no longer there.

the change in the gametype name comes from that UDK now uses the scaleform frontend (menu) which for some reason shows the game package as well, don't worry it does it to me, if i find an answer to it then i'll let you all know.

i last checked my code and content with the March2011 UDK release so you should be ok

Suit and Tie
    Quote Originally Posted by geodav View Post
    your not going wrong at all, when i recorded those video's (12.2009) that was all correct, since then there have been changes to the UDK code including the UTGame code witch is why those lines are no longer there.

the change in the gametype name comes from that UDK now uses the scaleform frontend (menu) which for some reason shows the game package as well, don't worry it does it to me, if i find an answer to it then i'll let you all know.

i last checked my code and content with the March2011 UDK release so you should be ok
    Ah, okay.

I've come across a new problem: after finishing the basic game, when I go to choose settings (bots, etc.) there is nothing there so it defaults to a bot on each spawn point.

geodav
    ok to get the menu settings to work with the udk scaleform menu system you need to add the following in your UDKGame.ini

Code:
    [UT40kDeathmatch UTUIDataProvider_GameModeInfo]
    GameMode=UT40k.UT40kDeathmatch
    GameSettingsClass=UTgameSettingsDM
    GameSearchClass=UTGameSearchDM
    PreviewImageMarkup=UT40k_UI_Materials.GameTypes.UT40k_GametypePic_Default
    DefaultMap=UT40kDM-ut40ktest_10
    Prefixes=UT40kDM
    OptionSet=UT40kDM
    IconImage=UI_HUD.HUD.UI_HUD_BaseD
    IconU=442
    IconV=76
    IconUL=129
    IconVL=104
    FriendlyName=UT40k_Deathmatch
    Description=Free-for-all deathmatch action.
    and

Code:
    [BotSkill_DM UTUIDataProvider_MenuOption]
    OptionSet=DM
    OptionSet=TDM
    OptionSet=VCTF
    OptionSet=UT40kDM
    OptionSet=UT40kTDM
    DataStoreMarkup=<UTGameSettings:BotSkill>

[NumBots_DM UTUIDataProvider_MenuOption]
    OptionSet=DM
    OptionSet=TDM
    OptionSet=VCTF
    OptionSet=UT40kDM
    OptionSet=UT40kTDM
    DataStoreMarkup=<UTGameSettings:NumBots>
    OptionType=UTOT_Slider
    RangeData=(MinValue=0.0,MaxValue=15.0,bIntRange=1,NudgeValue=1.0,CurrentValue=0.0)

[VsBots_DM UTUIDataProvider_MenuOption]
    OptionSet=TDM
    OptionSet=VCTF
    OptionSet=UT40kDM
    OptionSet=UT40kTDM
    DataStoreMarkup=<UTGameSettings:VsBots>
    bOnlineOnly=1

[GoalScore_DM UTUIDataProvider_MenuOption]
    OptionSet=DM
    OptionSet=TDM
    OptionSet=VCTF
    OptionSet=UT40kDM
    OptionSet=UT40kTDM
    DataStoreMarkup=<UTGameSettings:GoalScore>
    bEditableCombo=1
    bNumericCombo=1

[TimeLimit_DM UTUIDataProvider_MenuOption]
    OptionSet=DM
    OptionSet=TDM
    OptionSet=VCTF
    OptionSet=UT40kDM
    OptionSet=UT40kTDM
    DataStoreMarkup=<UTGameSettings:TimeLimit>
    bEditableCombo=1
    bNumericCombo=1

[BotTeam_DM UTUIDataProvider_MenuOption]
    OptionSet=TDM
    OptionSet=VCTF
    OptionSet=UT40kDM
    OptionSet=UT40kTDM
    DataStoreMarkup=<UTStringList:BotTeams>
    bRemoveOn360=1
    bRemoveOnPC=1
    bRemoveOnPS3=1

[ForceRespawn_DM UTUIDataProvider_MenuOption]
    OptionSet=DM
    OptionSet=TDM
    OptionSet=VCTF
    OptionSet=UT40kDM
    OptionSet=UT40kTDM
    DataStoreMarkup=<UTGameSettings:ForceRespawn>
    OptionType=UTOT_CollectionCheckBox
    please note these are not the entries used in my DavCorp gametypes you just need to adjust the option in your gametype ini entry and then add it to the other MenuOption sections

KingBadger
    Geodav, some of your tut's have been handy and have to say thanks. But old ones that don't work anymore maybe should be taken down (due to engine changes) maybe to help out new one's chasseing something that will never work with current engine configs. Update with the info above, would love to see footage of the game you’re working on!

geodav
    to be honest i'm finding it hard to find the time to do much atm, i do realise that most of my tutorials are a bit dated, the main thing is the work flow and to get people thinking in the Unreal way of doing things, if i get time i may re-new the udk basics as they have changed the most over the last year. some of the info in this thread may not get into the videos as Epic has a nasty habbit of changing great freatures to stop "Modders" from using to much of the UTGame code

if you mean UT40k as the game i'm working on then just goto http://www.moddb.com/mods/ut40k-the-chosen and download the monthly build that i upload on the last day of every month (tomorrow evening)