Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 + Unreal Engine 3?

tamriilin

Windows 7 + Unreal Engine 3?

Does Unreal Engine 3 have any known performance issues with Windows 7? Such as low framerate, intermittent skipping, etc?

I've been having these issues ALL OVER THE PLACE when using win7 - With Mass Effect, UT3, and The Last Remnant (All of which use UE3).

Sincreator
    No problems here, what so ever. Using 9.4 catalyst, and seeing 100% scaling with crossfire. Funny though, with xp UT3 was only giving me about 60% scaling. One major thing that I noticed right away was that 1920x1080(1080p) was working properly finally on my HDTV. Win 7 even detected it as my native resolution. What a difference between 1280x720 and 1920x1080.

The benchmark started at 14/05/2009 11:38:14 PM

System Information
    Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate
    System memory: 2047 MB
    CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X3 710 Processor
    CPU speed: 3333 MHz
    Graphics card: - 0 MB
    Benchmark Information
    Benchmark type: Flyby
    Demo: vCTF-Corruption
    Motion Blur: Disabled
    Hardware Physics: Disabled
    Anisotropic filtering: 16×

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resolution: 1920×1080 (HD WideScreen)
    Score = 69 FPS

The benchmark started at 13/05/2009 6:47:49 PM

System Information
    Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate
    System memory: 2047 MB
    CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X3 710 Processor
    CPU speed: 3333 MHz
    Graphics card: - 0 MB
    Benchmark Information
    Benchmark type: Flyby
    Demo: vCTF-Corruption
    Motion Blur: Disabled
    Hardware Physics: Disabled
    Anisotropic filtering: 16×

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resolution: 1920×1080 (HD WideScreen)
    Score = 137 FPS

Funny it dont show the 3870's in this bench utility anymore. It used to.

PS: If anyone wants to bench UT3 here is the link to the HOC UT3 benchmark utility: http://www.hocbench.com/ut3.php

Sincreator
    Quote Originally Posted by tamriilin View Post
    Does Unreal Engine 3 have any known performance issues with Windows 7? Such as low framerate, intermittent skipping, etc?

I've been having these issues ALL OVER THE PLACE when using win7 - With Mass Effect, UT3, and The Last Remnant (All of which use UE3).
    Did you torrent Win 7? Some of the torrents contained a virus, or virus package. The one everyone should of got was the direct MS download here: http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Win.../download.aspx

Torrents contain virus in RC1 build: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Pir...tnet,7810.html

tamriilin
    Quote Originally Posted by Sincreator View Post
    Did you torrent Win 7? Alot of the torrents contained a virus, or virus package. The one everyone should of got was the direct MS download here: http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Win.../download.aspx

Torrents contain virus in RC1 build: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Pir...tnet,7810.html
    No, I'm using the official Release Candidate from Microsoft's website.

Coolreject
    I've been getting the same problems. UT3 has been running extremely poorly for me on Windows 7, while using the same hardware with XP it ran beautifully.

PainSavour
    Same for me, I get about 10 fps drop (from 36 to 22 in Rails, max details 1080p) in WIN7. Nevermind Ati drivers crashing & BSODs in games and on desktop. Maybe I'll try reinstalling WIN 7 but I doubt it'll help, it was a clean install the first time, so it's probably just my HW & WIN 7 don't get along together, at least not just yet.

emscape2
    I only got probs with the editor

Coolreject
    System I'm using is:

Windows 7 RC 64-bit
    Intel Core 2 Duo e6700 2.66 ghz
    NVidia Geforce 88000GT 512 MB
    2 gigs DDR2 667mhz RAM
    Asus p5nsli motherboard with NVidia Nforce 570SLI chipset

Things I've tried:
    Clean reinstall of NVidia 185.85 drivers
    Clean reinstall of UT3
    Disabling Hardware Physics in both game options and NVidia control panel

Setting MaxMultisamples = 0 in UTEngine.ini helped somewhat as it seemed with Windows 7 and DirectX 10 it was trying to force AA with HDR, and changing any settings in the NVidia control panel, even to "force off" made the situation worse

Even turning all the graphics to the lowest settings and resolution, I still get major hitches, hiccups and poor frame rates

No idea what's going on. For what it's worth, Call of Duty 4 also runs significantly worse under Windows 7 for me, but games like Fallout 3 and Oblivion run fantastically better. Interesting.

Also this isn't just me having some kind of pro-unreal 'sperg out over losing a few FPS, frames rates have literally been dropping into the teens at certain points (courtyard area of Shangri-La, Shock rifle room in Arsenal, one HOLP ctf map runs at like 5 fps) making the game unplayable. There's something broken or wrong.

General-Gouda
    I had to switch from Vista to Win 7 beta just to get my FPS to work properly. There are places on maps like Deimos where my FPS would drop for no plausible reason. Switching to Win 7 beta allowed my FPS to jump up by 20 fps in those same areas!

I also get consistently better performance in Valve games as well. Not sure what is wrong with Vista but I am personally looking forward to Windows 7.

Der_Korken
    I also have serious performance issues in UT3. In small DM-Maps like ShangriLa i have performance drops from 45fps to 25fps using the same hardware as with XP. It's not the video card slowing down my system, because the card is 15°C cooler than under XP. Resolution doesn't matter, I have the same framerate in 1680x1050 and 640x480. Even 4xAniAliasing is for free, it doesn't cost even 1fps.

I have tried 3 drivers (185.81, 185.85 and 182.50 which is for Vista but also works in Win7) but I got the poor performance with all of them.

My System:
    C2D E4300 @2,4Ghz (dualcore)
    2 GB RAM (soon 4GB)
    Geforce GTX260-216 OC (896MB)

I haven't found any solutions yet.

Edit: Can it be that only dualcore rigs got problems with Windows 7? Two dualcore systems posted here have problems, two triple/quadcore systems have performance gains ... very interesting ...