Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Unfixed C++ Error Thread

Hybrid View

Makron2n

The Unfixed C++ Error Thread

I feel somewhat bad about this, as it constitutes spamming rather, but I thought it would be better to have a thread dedicated to the problem that I (and others) are experiencing that didn't have FIXED in front of it. You may consider said other thread abandoned, by me at least.

Basically, I'm at my wits' end trying to get UT3 to run more than a couple of deathmatch games without crashing to the desktop with a C++ error. Now, things have got a bit better for me - the errors used to be non-descript, just random crashes. Ultron's tweaks and tips from other users here have at least enabled me to load and even, sometimes, play a map. When I can play, the game runs smoothly with maxed-out graphics, sound, everything. I've run hardware checks on my computer (I am currently running a RAM stress test and am on my laptop), and the hardware stands up to scrutiny. Besides which, a C++ error indicates more of a software than a hardware error, surely?

I always run a clean boot for this game, as it's the only way to get it to run at all (before crashing after 5 minutes). Is the culprit here Vista? nVidia? Other games seem to run OK most of the time (had a few problems with Crysis to begin with but they've been ironed out).

Only one last thing to say I suppose - basic specs:

Core 2 Duo E6550 (overclocked to 2.9GHz...which I have tried removing.)
    2GB RAM
    320GB HDD
    GeForce 8800 GTS (640MB)
    XFi Extreme Audio
    Vista...(aargh)

DrFish
    Besides which, a C++ error indicates more of a software than a hardware error, surely?
    Thought so, too.
    But, wrong. In my case, and in another one, it was just the little lower than required RAM voltage. Especially on newer systems this is a regularity.
    An application may quit functioning with an absurdly misleading error message since something else has happened in the back stage, but resulted as a loss of control in the application core or its dynamically linked library.
    In Linux it is called "segmentation fault". It could be _anything_ from buggy driver or binary incompatability to hardware failure.
    In other cases it is a more direct Blue Screen and/or reboot.

My advice: start to suspect your hardware configuration.

Makron2n
    Quote Originally Posted by DrFish View Post
    Thought so, too.
    But, wrong. In my case, and in another one, it was just the little lower than required RAM voltage.
    I have an ASUS P5K. Might try raising the voltage tiny bit...but the RAM held out under a stress test. Surely that would stop with an error also if RAM voltage was to blame?
    EDIT: Just checked and my RAM was on 2.10V. Have set to 2.15V and will let you know how I get on via the power of a later edit...
    EDIT 2: C++ error. Have tried raising to 2.20V. By the way, while I was in there I noticed that the CPU voltage was set to 1.4V. High enough for an overclocked C2D? CPU stress tests don't seem to faze it. Still, I guess I'd be seeing worse effects if my CPU was underpowered.
    EDIT 3: C++ error again. Is it worth raising the RAM voltage higher still?
    EDIT 4: Raised to 2.25V. A display driver restarted during the game. Then a C++ runtime error. Think I'll lower it again.

DrFish
    Quote Originally Posted by Makron2n View Post
    I
    EDIT: Just checked and my RAM was on 2.10V. Have set to 2.15V and will let you know how I get on via the power of a later edit...
    Anything more than 2.1 could be fatal for your RAM.

Makron2n
    Anything more than 2.1 could be fatal for your RAM.
    Fortunately I got away with it...this time.

At least I've established it ain't the RAM voltage.

(I should point out that it is now safely back at 2.1.)

Myhero
    I had this exact same problem running UT3 on my computer.
    After much hand wringing and everything I could think of I did a google search on the problem, and it affects not only ut3 but other programs as well.
    It seems the problem lies in microsoft .net framework.
    So I went to windows update and installed every .net framework I could think of all the way to .net framework 3.0. Viola, problem fixed.
    try this and let me know the results here.

ClmUt3
    Thought so, too.
    But, wrong. In my case, and in another one, it was just the little lower than required RAM voltage. Especially on newer systems this is a regularity.
    An application may quit functioning with an absurdly misleading error message since something else has happened in the back stage, but resulted as a loss of control in the application core or its dynamically linked library.
    In Linux it is called "segmentation fault". It could be _anything_ from buggy driver or binary incompatability to hardware failure.
    In other cases it is a more direct Blue Screen and/or reboot.

My advice: start to suspect your hardware configuration.
    C++ error is software error. But could be an hardware error? on voltage of ram? This solution is ok to the problem in question of C++ error?

If yes, how can i modify the voltage? entering in the bios setting?

Makron2n
    Quote Originally Posted by ClmUt3 View Post
    C++ error is software error. But could be an hardware error? on voltage of ram? This solution is ok to the problem in question of C++ error?

If yes, how can i modify the voltage? entering in the bios setting?
    You can indeed. Didn't make any difference to me - mine was already on 2.1V. But give it a shot.

Rdselth
    Okay! I've fixed my problem..so far anyway. At least the game is working now.

I was having the problem where I would get the C++ error upon the splash screen.

How this was caused: Freezing/Lockups/BSOD during the game forced me to hard reboot the computer. Then when it started up again, I got these error messages.

How I fixed it: To fix the problem, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game. This did not work. So I re-applied the UT3 1.1 patch. BINGO it worked again.

I have not tried installing the 1.2 patch on top of this..I'm a little hesitant to do so because it works now!

My specs:

AMD Opteron 170
    Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI
    2 Gigs of Ram
    Nvidia Gefore 8800GT
    Windows XP
    Nvidia Beta drivers (169.28)

Again, just to sum up:

PROBLEM: UT3 Splash screen causing C++ error

CAUSE: Hard resetting of my machine when it randomly locked up during load of either main menu or various maps

SOLUTION: I uninstalled, then reinstalled the game. I then applied the UT3 Patch 1.1 (This was what I had before the error began)

I have yet to install the 1.2 patch.

Longjohn
    Hey,
    Bugger posted in the wrong thread soz guys.