Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gears Mod

RoPass

Gears Mod

I can’t believe someone hasn’t mentioned this yet, but I think a Gears of War (GOW) mod would be sweet. This could be accomplished by a few simple Mutators. First, slow down character movement, similar to the existing Slo Mo mod. Second, default 3rd person cam, with an option to swap to a close up over the shoulder cam in game, just like GOW. A truly ambitious moder could create a Gears of War vs. Unreal conversion. Add a few new weapons. Lancer, Primary fire similar to Minigun, Secondary fire would be the chainsaw bayonet, functions similar to Impact Hammer. Boomshot, Primary Fire, single shot Rocket grenades. Secondary Fire, three shot Rocket grenades. The possibilities are endless. Just an idea, Thoughts?

Gruz
    I can't believe you didn't do a search before posting this. This idea has been thrown around a LOT on these forums, but it wouldn't be allowed, since it's ripping off another licensed product (yes, I know it's by the same devs, doesn't matter).

RoPass
    I did search plenty, all a saw was a request for a Gears parody that was like two lines. I do realize that using Gears characters and such would be against licenses. It would not be against any license to create a mutator to slow down character movement and play using a different camera. Maybe I wans't clear enough, I know people have asked for Gears characters and such, all I was saying is hay it would be fun to play a slower paced game from a different perspective with this engine. The other part with the weapons that was just hopeful thinking. Sorry for the confusion.

D4rkW4rr10r
    the thing we need is the cover system

astimodeus
    It's easy: instead of human vs locusts with gow weapons you do human vs necris with unreal weapond and you do a clone without breaking the law...

Masked Muchacho
    Quote Originally Posted by D4rkW4rr10r View Post
    the thing we need is the cover system
    Don't think that will happen.

But if they would slow down the game speed, add a "sprint" button (maybe L2, left trigger, on a controller?) and if possible a shakey cam when sprinting, then that would de quite similar.

D4rkW4rr10r
    the cover system was already done for ut2004

Masked Muchacho
    Even better if that's included.

Gruz
    Quote Originally Posted by RoPass View Post
    it would be fun to play a slower paced game from a different perspective with this engine.
    Sorry about the snarky remark last night, it was late and I was in a bad mood.

Anyway, I hate to tell you this and sound snarky again, but GoW is already that exact game. It uses the same engine as UT3. I know where you're coming from, and to be honest, I would d/l it in a second, but you're essentially asking someone to take a lot of time to recode a game that already exists.

I guess what I'm getting at is that if you want to play GoW, you're just going to have to go out and pony up the bucks for the actual game.

Masked Muchacho
    But that would also mean getting a x360 or a better pc. Well, in my case.

Aside from the cover sytem (which I think would not really be necessary) all the thinks I mentioned before could be done, could they?
    Action-cam is already out. Now, I don't know if a sprint ability is hard to add, or even to "stick" (don't know how to say it in English) the function to a key. For a controller it would be even harder, I guess.

And could a shaky cam be done in UT3?

A slower gamespeed is easy to achieve by adding the slow-mo mutator at the game setup.