Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: First User Created Content for UT3 PS3 is released!

Mark Rein

First User Created Content for UT3 PS3 is released!

Epic Games is proud to take the first bold step in a new era! Today we're releasing the very first user-created content for Unreal Tournament 3 on PlayStation 3.

We're starting with a user-created map called DM-Shrine created by Thomas Browett, who goes by the name Setheran on the official UT3 forums. Thomas is a 23 year old graphic designer from Nottingham, England. He's been playing Unreal since the very first Unreal Tournament and he says he's enjoyed every game in the series. He made a few maps for the original Unreal Tournament but hadn't done anything since this one. He finds the third generation Unreal Editor to be very friendly and feature rich.

DM-Shrine is is a great little map that's perfect those close-quarters, 2-6 player, matches that keep your adrenaline pumping from beginning to end. A lot of our DM maps in UT3 are designed for larger player counts so this provides a great contrast and a chance to play in a more intimate setting. I've always loved these types of maps and I hope you folks do as well!

Here is how to install UT3 mods on your PlayStation 3.

1. Unzip the file to the root directory of any memory card that is readable by your PlayStation 3. It is already in the proper directory structure but, just in case, the path and filename need to be: ps3\savedata\blus30086-modimport\userdata.jam

2. Boot up Unreal Tournament 3 on your PS3

3. Go to the "Community" menu

4. Choose "My Content"

5. Press the [SQUARE] button to "Import Mod"

6. Follow the directions on the screen to import it from your memory device.

Once imported you'll be able to see the map in your list of Deathmatch maps. You'll be able to host the map and join servers that are hosting the map. All UT3 mods install this same way. If this were a mutator it would show up in the mutator list. If it were a gametype it would show up in gametype lists, etc.

This is just the first little taste of modding on Unreal Tournament 3 for PS3.

Epic didn't make this map. Thomas did and he already released it for PC users of UT3. We didn't do any editing or changes to it. All we did was bring it into the editor and "cook" it into the proper format for the PlayStation 3 and tested it to make sure it ran properly and was good fun. We're waiting on some paperwork from Sony that will allow us to release an editor update so mod creators can do this cook process for themselves. We expect to have that very soon.

Tomorrow we're planning to release some more user-created content: a mutator, a couple more maps, and a new game type!

We have some really cool things of our own in the works (for both PC and PS3 versions of UT3) here at Epic but those are still in development so they're a little further down the road.

Here's are some mirrors where you can download the map:
    FileFront
    Beyond Unreal

Links to the PC version of the map are listed in this forum post.

Welcome to the future!

Update: I use the term "memory card" but in fact any PS3 readable memory device should do. A USB memory stick plugged into one of the PS3's USB ports (all models of PS3 have USB ports) works fine. If you already have a memory card from a digital camera and you want to use that then you can buy a pretty cheap USB memory card reader and plug it that into the USB port of the PS3. One of our guys even used an iPod to transfer the files on to his PS3.

Here's a link to a screen shot of this map: http://artrever.website12.com/Stuff/shrine2.jpg

ADD: -weephun-
    Ready for more? Well, we've got more for you!

3 more maps and a new mutator! Again, all user-created! You guys rock!

1 - DM-Elevation by warby
    Forum Post
    FileFront

2 - VCTF-Slax by Kantham
    Forum Post
    FileFront

3 - DM-Krodan by Hourences
    Forum Post
    FileFront

4 - Mutator: VASUT3AutoShields by KalCorp
    Forum Post
    FileFront

Additional mirrors:
    gamershell
    beyondunreal

The gametype we were looking at had some unexpected issues on the PS3, but if those manage to get resolved we'll be sure to get it out to everybody.

Hope everyone loves these new mods as much as we have here!

NitrousOxide
    Kewl, nice to hear for the PS3 users.

Thr33Brothas

Well done to the maker, and EPIC for giving us this beauty of a game!

T@F
    Well that should shut up a few ps3 ppl for now
    Anyway gg mark and Thomas.

Herby
    Thank You for posting this. This great news. The map looks absolutely beautiful.
    Thanks again, Mark.
    Can't wait for the content tomorrow.

Perfect_Dark
    That says it all

G3N0M3
    Thank you for this awesome map.

3AM
    Cool thanks for the update...and man..is there any other way to get these mods ? I dont have a memory card of any type....

Are you guys looking into the ps3 browser? ....Is there any other way besides the memory card?

Thr33Brothas
    I extracted it but it keeps saying 'no data'? Any help?

Fixed it now, thanks again guys!

ephoenix6
    really appreciate it, but just in case it doesn't work for me, can it be later downloaded from the playstation network? I'm sure it seems really simple, but I'm not that tech savvy, I can't even seem to get game saves to work for the ps3, but who knows, this may work. However it works out, thanks.