Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows XP x64 support?

shiznit
    Hippygoth, they share the same kernel, thats why SP2 says xp x64 and 2k3.

crap someone already said it.

Daniel Vogel
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavex View Post
    Funny that a well known ut cheaters website has on the frontpage news that he managed to bypass this with a small edit in the executable, and yet Epic hasn't managed a fix. That's lame...
    Could you private message me the URL?

The problem is that our requirements are different from his. We want the executable to be both secure and work... granted if it's easy to crack there isn't much benefit of it being there.

stealth50k
    lol its funny how someone that does hacking and cracking as a hobby is able to out smart all the professionals.

Just let us play for the time being with this exe since its a beta and then you guys can play create a new one secured for the full release or regular demo

commiecat
    Quote Originally Posted by vogel View Post
    Thanks! FWIW, Windows Server 2003 support is currently our highest priority bug. Usual caveat that I can't promise it will be fixed till it's root caused and we know what's going wrong. It seems to be the same issue that is preventing customers with Windows XP 64 bit to play the game, so there is hope that there is going to be one fix to rule, err, address them all.
    Again, thanks. I understand that people are clearly upset about this but I hope I speak for most UT fans when I say that we are aware of the difference between beta demo and release. I'd rather have this issue during demo than after buying it retail.

Fortunately I have some free drive space on my desktop and I'm installing 32-bit XP right now just to play the game. Switching OSs between UT3 and everything else is an inconvenience but I can live with it until a demo patch or actual release comes out.

Keep us posted and perhaps make a sticky once there's a resolution -- I honestly didn't think that there would be this many XP64 users posting.

shiznit
    XP x64 is kinda free (legally). There are many users.

Arson
    Ok, figured it out.
    For all those that wanted to call me a liar, heres proof.
    http://img504.imageshack.us/my.php?image=unrealkz0.jpg

Now whats needed right now to make it work.
    Apparrently epic left the debug version running, thats why I could run it on my main pc with debug kernel installed.

I did a clean x64 install and got the same error that everyone else did.
    the fix is to go to the ms site at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtoo...tall64bit.mspx

download the file http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/s...4_6.7.05.1.exe

And yes that works for intel as well.,
    Install it.
    run windbg you just installed.
    open file, open executeable
    Pick the unreal exe
    now keep hitting f5 until you get the ut3 graphic, then just wait
    Game should run

commiecat
    Quote Originally Posted by Arson View Post
    Ok, figured it out.
    For all those that wanted to call me a liar, heres proof.
    http://img504.imageshack.us/my.php?image=unrealkz0.jpg

Now whats needed right now to make it work.
    Apparrently epic left the debug version running, thats why I could run it on my main pc with debug kernel installed.

I did a clean x64 install and got the same error that everyone else did.
    the fix is to go to the ms site at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtoo...tall64bit.mspx

download the file http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/s...4_6.7.05.1.exe

And yes that works for intel as well.,
    Install it.
    run windbg you just installed.
    open file, open executeable
    Pick the unreal exe
    now keep hitting f5 until you get the ut3 graphic, then just wait
    Game should run
    I'll try this when I finish installing 32-bit. FYI -- that screenshot says SP1. I was having trouble with SP2 (64-bit).

Arson
    yeah I just did a quick install
    I didn't install service packs, .net or anything but just video drivers, sound, dx
    I'll install sp2, but it should still work either way.

commiecat
    Quote Originally Posted by Arson View Post
    yeah I just did a quick install
    I didn't install service packs, .net or anything but just video drivers, sound, dx
    Well if you have SP2 available could you install it and retry just so we can rule that out? Not a huge deal -- like I said, I can try it on SP2 in about 20 or 30 minutes when this other install finishes. Thanks for all your help with this, too.

HippyGoth
    Quote Originally Posted by commiecat View Post
    Again, thanks. I understand that people are clearly upset about this but I hope I speak for most UT fans when I say that we are aware of the difference between beta demo and release. I'd rather have this issue during demo than after buying it retail.

Fortunately I have some free drive space on my desktop and I'm installing 32-bit XP right now just to play the game. Switching OSs between UT3 and everything else is an inconvenience but I can live with it until a demo patch or actual release comes out.

Keep us posted and perhaps make a sticky once there's a resolution -- I honestly didn't think that there would be this many XP64 users posting.
    Well it appears to me, the x64 and Server 2003 issues took Epic by surprise, I don't know if that's because it was never compiled for them, or it was simply never tested on those platforms before release.

I'll be brutally honest and say if I knew where to get the hack, I'd be using it. My gaming buddies are up and about fragging each other right now.

I do expect Epic to get this fixed pretty quick, they've normally been good at getting these annoying bugs ironed out. The beta demo has done it's job. Epic are now aware of these issues and are working on fixing them. I don't think it's what they initially expected as a result, but better now than in the gold version.

H.