joeGraf

Exclamation READ THIS: Commonly Asked Questions and Solutions

Epic people ONLY please.

joeGraf
    Suported OSes:

WinXP SP2 (32bit)
    Vista

joeGraf
    How can I enter my email address on a UK keyboard?
    We are sorry for the inconvenience. You can type it in another application and paste it in.

DanielW
    Before you post a question, be sure to read the release notes and search the forum for similar issues, since it may have already been resolved.

DRIVERS

You must be on a supported driver! We can't emphasize this enough. From the release notes:

http://www.nvidia.com/
    NVIDIA ForceWare 163.71

ATI—http://www.amd.com/
    ATI Catalyst driver 7.9 (with the exception of 9x00 cards, which should use 7.8)

SUPPORTED SYSTEMS

The Unreal Tournament 3 Demo requires a personal computer with the following minimum system requirements:

· Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista
    · 2.0+ GHZ Single Core Processor
    · 512 Mbytes of System RAM
    · NVIDIA 6200+ or ATI Radeon 9600+ Video Card
    · 8 GB of Free Hard Drive Space

REPORTING A BUG

We need certain information to reproduce problems. Please include this information in your original post, at a minimum:

-Game log - located at My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3 Demo\UTGame\Logs\Launch.log
    -Description of the problem, as detailled as possible
    -Video card and driver version
    -OS
    -CPU and system memory
    -If you had a spontaneous reboot, please also include the newest file in C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

joeGraf
    What network port does the game use?
    The game uses port 7777 and you can change that via the command line by adding -PORT=<number>

Daniel Vogel
    Some people may be seeing hitches while playing the UT3 demo on NVIDIA GPUs in the Geforce 6 and 7 series. This can happen when a new object is rendered for the first time, e.g. when picking up a new weapon, first firing it and so on. We added an option to significantly lessen the impact of said hitches and will enable it by default for the game if it proves to be an overall win.

To enable the option in the demo:

1) Exit the game and open the Windows Explorer.
    2) Open the "My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3 Demo\UTGame\Config" folder.
    3) Open the UTEngine.ini file from that folder in a text editor (for example, notepad).
    4) Find the [Engine.ISVHacks] section.
    5) Under [Engine.ISVHacks] heading, find the line that says UseMinimalNVIDIADriverShaderOptimization=False.
    6) Change that line to UseMinimalNVIDIADriverShaderOptimization=True, and save the file.

After that you should see substantially less hitching in the Unreal Tournament 3 demo.

We also recommend upgrading to the latest NVIDIA drivers (163.71 as of the time of this post), as they're always tuning them to make new games like Unreal Tournament 3 run better.

joeGraf
    Where should I post my problems and/or questions?
    Our testers and engineers are reading the sticky threads, so please post there

joeGraf
    Where are my user files written too?
    Logs, INI files, and other user data are all written to:

"My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3 Demo"

joeGraf
    Does the demo include linux dedicated server support?
    No it does not. However, you can launch a dedicated server using the menus or via the command line. The command line below configures a DM game on ShangriLa with no score limit and a time limit of 5 minutes:

UT3Demo Server DM-ShangriLa?NumPublicConnections=24?GameMode=0?GoalS core=0?TimeLimit=5?ServerDescription="Welcome"?gam e=UTGame.UTDeathMatch? -log=DedicatedServer.log -Login=<yourlogin> -Password=<yourpassword>

Daniel Vogel

DXDIAG information

DXDIAG is a diagnostic tool that comes as part of DirectX and helps gather all relevant information about your system and installed drivers. It's usually very helpful to have this information handy and we often ask for it in order to help you out further.

To gather the information, open the "run" menu and enter "dxdiag". After it finishes starting up there should be a "save all information" button you can use to convert the information into text format you can then cut & paste into posts.