Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [Repost. Edited] Please remove mutator capabilty from the game.

Crotale
    Tahnit, I told you yesterday that this is a bad idea and why it is a bad idea, but you evidently didn't get. People love mutators, whether it's UTcomp or the benign Santa Hats. Kill mutators and you kill the game. I also informed you that there ARE plain vanilla servers, but they appear to be mostly empty because nobody wants to play on them. You could try lurking on one of those empty servers to see if anyone else comes tagging along. You never know, others might see activity on that server and join up as well. It happens all the time. You just have to have some patience.

Raffi_B
    Getting rid of mutator functionality is the most counter-productive idea I've seen on these forums.

XaliaS
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahnit View Post
    One solution i can think of is ranked servers. It worked for battlefield 2.
    I am stunned to actually see somebody type that...

Ranks didn't keep servers from setting their own modifications, the shear lack of modding tools and ROE stopped that from ever happening... The thing ranks do is keep players away from standalone mods from ever becoming popular. Plus; the exploiting, stat-padding, hacking - that ranked created in-game. And out-side the game, greedy companies make a little more dosh with a number of sleazy promotions.

Now on-topic, we have your thread here as a form of extreme negative influence on mutators. Have you ever heard of a saying like: the minority always has the loudest voice?

You'll see why this thread will make no difference in a percentage that is already stacked on mutator favour.

I agree, mutators do need controlling, but cutting them off by the head would be the lazy way out, and way too many people do that nowadays as it is.

Miko
    There is a reason my UT2004 folder is 15 gigs. Mutators drive the game on well past its initial life cycle. People put hours and hours of work into mutators to promote life into the game and to give that game a better overall flavor that and you see mutators in all sorts of games even if they arent called such. Controlling mutators is an understandable thing but many servers around now are a result of people who were tired of the norm a long time ago.

That and like what XaliaS said. Ranked servers have their own modifications too. There are Ustats servers in UT2004 and they still use Mutators.

I said it before. Ill say it again. If you don't want mutators. Don't download them, Don't go to severs that have them, Don't bother whining about them because they will be made because it's part of Unreal's heritage. Remember that a lot of mutators are not made for online consumption as well.

Tahnit
    Quote Originally Posted by Miko View Post
    There is a reason my UT2004 folder is 15 gigs. Mutators drive the game on well past its initial life cycle. People put hours and hours of work into mutators to promote life into the game and to give that game a better overall flavor that and you see mutators in all sorts of games even if they arent called such. Controlling mutators is an understandable thing but many servers around now are a result of people who were tired of the norm a long time ago.

That and like what XaliaS said. Ranked servers have their own modifications too. There are Ustats servers in UT2004 and they still use Mutators.

I said it before. Ill say it again. If you don't want mutators. Don't download them, Don't go to severs that have them, Don't bother whining about them because they will be made because it's part of Unreal's heritage. Remember that a lot of mutators are not made for online consumption as well.
    Then control them. Always make sure that there is vanilla servers available.

And no there are no mods in bf2 ranked servers. It is strictly vanilla. And thats what way it should be.

Just look at the server browser for ut2k4. Do you wonder why there is hardly anyone playing anymore? Its because all the servers have switched to stupid box maps, race maps, and 10 jump lowgrav.

The skill is completely removed from the equation.

Something has to be done.

karmatized
    dumb idea, and while i do play battlefield i will also say it sucks because any small little thing they charge you for. The community has no power to change stuff for the better.

Un real didnt die out as much as it did because of mutators it died out because of not evolving correctly. We are hoping ut3 has.

Miko
    You also have to keep one thing in mind. UT2004 wasn't ever built to be a competitive sport game. It was designed around its fan base and was for both the casual and hard core crowds and the mod community and map community alike.

Mutators do not remove skill at all. If anything if you play on a server with mutators you have to learn a whole new game to play on them properly. Looking at the server browser i can say i have played on plenty of Vanilla servers and every now and then i put up a vanilla listen server but i prefer to play with mutators that enhance the game play experience.

Maps are generally not mutators unless they have mods within them in which you need to download portions for them. Race maps. Box Maps, 10 jump lowgrav maps. UT04 isn't the only game with those maps. Half Life and its Army of Mods are absolutely full of Admin mods that change the normal game or mod play and add elements to them like Tag or volleyball or zombies and the very popular Counterstrike Gun Game. They don't remove skill. they make you pick up new ones.

The last time I checked BF2 wasn't a very mod community friendly game. I could be mistaken but I don't hear of too many mods that are for BF2 unlike i did for BF 1942. That and that is a whole different system. That is EA's strictly regulated matchmaking system VS something like Epic master server. The fact Epic allows so much freedom is something to be greatly appreciated because there are still a lot of games where people have to make third party tools just to mod the games and when you do mod them they become obsolete to online play of any form.

The only way to control mutators is to not go to any servers that use mutators. That or maybe you just have to accept the fact that mutators are a part of Unreal and they won't ever be going away. It just isn't possible for Epic to ignore or put away something thats been working for them for many years and has increased the longevity of the Unreal Series for this long.

Finally ill say this. The last time i heard of Online percentage from Epic. Less then 50 percent of their players played online. Thats a very large amount of people who haven't ever gone the jump to making it online in any way shape of form. Even then many many people play online. The reason people might stop playing UT2004 online is in anticipation for Unreal Tournament 3. Everyone is preparing for the large transition.

No one says you have to like mutators. You just have to tolerate them.

ziadoz
    I don't think UT needs mutators removing. What we really need is more vanilla servers. Its the single biggest problem with UT in my opinion. Try finding any decent UT vanilla server that doesn't include roflsounds_52.123 on cube_map-betav1.23.4343_race_cars.ut. Its not easy.

It gets annoying not being able to play vanilla, the way the game was intended. I hope Epic support UT3 with vanilla servers, or just like UT2004 it'll be uninstalled on my shelf collecting dust.

Miko
    I can agree with the alternative of Epic providing vanilla servers and also providing a no mutator option within the server browser. That would be easy.

SleightOfHand
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahnit View Post
    Just look at the server browser for ut2k4. Do you wonder why there is hardly anyone playing anymore? Its because all the servers have switched to stupid box maps, race maps, and 10 jump lowgrav.
    There's the error in your argument. You think you lost all the regular servers to the mod ones, but that isn't the case for the most part. If there was no mod or mutator abilities, the servers wouldn't even be there anymore. But because they had the ability to change, to evolve into something newer and different, they are still there. If I had my own server and got tired of hosting the same game, why would I keep it going and keep spending my money? Remember that the servers you are talking about are paid for by people other then Epic. Epic has their own servers. Maybe your actual complaint is that Epic isn't hosting enough servers.