Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UT3 will be DX10 and in "The Way Its Meant To Be Played" program

Catzenjaeger

UT3 will be DX10 and in "The Way Its Meant To Be Played" program

Mark Rein confirmed that Unreal Tournament 3 will be DX10 and in "The Way Its Meant To Be Played" program for launch.

Source: May 10, 2007 |http://blogs.nvidia.com/developers/2..._be_direc.html

Sabo
    hmm. I hope it doesnt end up running better on nVidia cards D:

dx10 = :up:

Crotale
    Epic has already confirmed that UT3 will be DX10 but will support DX9. This press release is more about NVidia than UT3. All it means to me is that I will have to make a non-NVidia version of the "The Way Its Meant To Be Played" thingy.

Killalot0
    DX 10 the way they did DX 9 for the UT2kx series? cause that was hardly noticable. i hope we will see some benefits from this implementation.

Moloko
    Quote Originally Posted by Killalot0 View Post
    DX 10 the way they did DX 9 for the UT2kx series? cause that was hardly noticable. i hope we will see some benefits from this implementation.
    UT2k4 won't even run after choosing dx9 rendering, at least not with the latest patch, I'm sure this time it will be a proper implementation for DX10.

I just wish (selfishly) they were only busy developing UT3 for the PC not PS3 and x360, even though I understand that that is where the money is after GOW's success . Pc gamers seem to have been forever waiting compared to these new formats.

Gregori
    Quote Originally Posted by Crotale View Post
    Epic has already confirmed that UT3 will be DX10 but will support DX9. This press release is more about NVidia than UT3. All it means to me is that I will have to make a non-NVidia version of the "The Way Its Meant To Be Played" thingy.
    Where did they confirm this? The last thing I heard from Epic was that it was built as a DX9 game but would also support DX10.

Crotale
    Ok, UT3 will require DX9 at a minimum but will also support DX10. Is that better?

_Lynx
    I remember Tim Sweeney saying at E3 or GDC that DX10 will be used only as optimization.

Crotale
    DX10 provides no improvement in quality of the graphics other than better efficiency at rendering. This is a change of venue, of a sort, for a new "version" of DX. Compare the same scene (from a DX9 game that supports the previous versions) rendered in DX7, DX8 and DX9, and you will notice a definite difference in the graphic capabilities of each.

The only other graphic difference is that DX10 has SM4, but I remember Sweeney talking specifically about SM3 for UT3 (UT2007 at the time of the interview)

booshack
    Geometry shader. Less cpu dependant. Before you start thinking about SM4, that is what dx10 is all about.