Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Skill Rated servers?

Piglet

Skill Rated servers?

I noticed a comment in another thead about new players being a problem on-line.

Most servers have stats active and it forces all players to have a stats account in order to connect.

These two things could be combined for varying degrees of control:

1. There could be rated servers - where you could control access by how "good" the player was - some kind of skill banding (yes we know stats don't really measure "goodness" in non-DM games)

2. You could use that to put a polite warning about the differences between online and offline games for players who have not passed a certain threshold test in the single player game - for example, something to the extent of: expect to be significantly out of your depth to start off with, watch the other players, find useful tips at url:..., etc

Something along these lines could make a significant difference to people's enjoyment online - dependant on limited ability to change stats accounts - tying stats accounts to a key or some such:

Rated servers would mean the opportunity to play games without new players grabbing a key team resource without a clue what to do with it (think ONS with Player and Player in the raptor and manta making a tour of the map looking for bunnies).

Rated servers would also mean the opportunity for learners to play other learners without significantly better players ripping them to shreds and putting them off the game before they have a chance to learn.

Of course free-for all servers should still be there!

It looks to me like there were plans for rated servers in UT2004 - that almost made it to the final game. There are hints in the code and the server join screen.

Thoughts?

Jake-SF
    Quote Originally Posted by Piglet
    (think ONS with Player and Player in the raptor and manta making a tour of the map looking for bunnies).
    You think they do that because they don't know how things works? Wrong. Most people I know are stupid and mindless and go in servers to do absolutely anything just because they find it better than doing what they are supposed to do.

I don't know about rated servers and all, if you can still god anywhere you want and the rating is here only so you can find the place where you will get the most enjoyment, then I got nothing against it.

Worlock
    If a reliable rating formula can be come up with, it's a good (if its optional) idea, but I have doubts it can be done properly.

What I REALLY want to add to this topic, that would help the new player side at least, concerns demo servers. Please, please do not make the full version able to join demo servers this time. Please. I run two demo DM servers now because it's nearly impossible to get traffic on a full version server. They are both full of retail players absolutely thrashing lesser skilled players.

I'd really like to see a response from Epic about this, as there was a rather lengthy thread on INA about taking this "feature" out of UT2004 with a patch or something. PLEASE tell us you aren't doing this again with UT2007

Tuqui2.0
    That's just dumb... why would you wanna separate players even further by not allowing them to use assets that are in-game? If you want assets to be based on skill, then make it an unlock (a-la BF2) where after a certain of time/kills/performance you get a PERSONAL unlock.

Besides, the problem is NOT new players, but current players who decide to act like asses or go on their DM Killing Sprees in order to boost their stats or practice (while everyone else suffers)

Piglet
    Yes - it's would need serious thought and I don't profess to have all the answers. I just feel that if it's done right it could make a big increase to all player levels of enjoyment.

It could be implemented from being a guide for players all the way to a mandatory skill requirement banding to play on specific server types.

My thoughts were that if there's one thing that's equally annoying to a noob taking the critical resource and cocking things up for the team it's the 'leet-near-aimbot-skill-level player beating you (the noob) up.

I'm still pretty nooby in TM gametypes and am pretty good in ONS so still see both sides of the fence on this one!

[edit] for asshats I recommend active admining [/edit]

Slaughter
    Quote Originally Posted by Worlock
    What I REALLY want to add to this topic, that would help the new player side at least, concerns demo servers. Please, please do not make the full version able to join demo servers this time. Please. I run two demo DM servers now because it's nearly impossible to get traffic on a full version server. They are both full of retail players absolutely thrashing lesser skilled players.

I'd really like to see a response from Epic about this, as there was a rather lengthy thread on INA about taking this "feature" out of UT2004 with a patch or something. PLEASE tell us you aren't doing this again with UT2007
    Yes. Please, please, please; do not allow retail clients to join demo servers. For the reason stated above this really hurts those who are or have plunked down good money to run retail servers that showcase the full game and mods made by the community. Perhaps this time the demo servers should be run only by Epic (or their chosen agent). I can see no reason why commercial GSPs should be able to make money leasing demo servers while Epic gets nothing.

And they should be limited to ONE good representative map per gametype and a small subset of mutators/skins. That should be more than enough for players to decide whether they want to buy the game or not. That is the ultimate goal, isn't it? Selling the game?

fuegerstef
    I am all for it.

Taleweaver
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuqui2.0
    Besides, the problem is NOT new players, but current players who decide to act like asses or go on their DM Killing Sprees in order to boost their stats or practice (while everyone else suffers)
    Wait...are stats actually enabled on UT2004's demo servers? Meaning: can I join a demo server, "pwn" the crap out of everyone unfortunate to be new to the game, and walk off with extra rampages, killing sprees, double kills, etc. ?

If so, it's one of the first things that needs to be altered: playing at a demo server shouldn't influence your stats at all.

Any player with an ounce of intelligence knows that beating down new players isn't a way to improve. Rather the opposite. Then again, it could be brought out more. I vote for a loading screen tip with "Only by playing people with a better skill can you hope to improve your own skill".

EDIT: as for not allowing ppl with the full game to connect to demo servers...how will you stop people from having both versions installed on their computer?

2th
    ranking servers? ranking players? welcome to Battlefield 2. in other words welcome to another piece of sh1t produced by EA. if epic decides to rank people and it allows you in a server or not then epic should become a laughing stock that produces only mediocrity like EA. why do i say this? im a pretty decent player and sometimes i like going into servers and just screwing around. i dont want to always build or destroy a node in ONS. i want to just go out and DM people or do laps in the manta and see how many kills i can get before i die. would that effect how my rank? i am pretty sure it would. so bad idea piglet. BAD IDEA. so i will say if you want rankings go play Battlefield.

Nietzsche
    Warcraft3 uses the same idea, it works pretty well there - and if accounts and not GUIDs are ranked I don't see a problem ... you can even use the same nick just change your stats-login and you are back to 0 experience ... would be a good feature imo, if not even one of the best features, that they could possibly add.