View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Darkmatch in UT2007

ne_skaju

Darkmatch in UT2007

Will it be possible at least to create darkmatch as mod if it not included in retail version?

Wormbo
    Oh yes, and if only to show off the UnrealEngine's new powers in terms of lighting.

Silvester[AUT]
    of course we need it. and an endless battery for the flashlight.

Taleweaver
    Oops. I casted my vote too fast. I assumed the poll requested darkmatch in the retail game, to which my statement is a certain No.

Then again, I don't see how the actual question is actually poll-worthy. If unrealEd ships with UT3, of course it will be possible to make a mod that dims the lights and gives people flashlights.

StalwartUK
    Damn hit no by accident, but meant to vote yes.

It would be lovely if UT2007 had DK but it probably won't. The last game that had it built-in was UT (in which it was hidden). It would be great if it was made as a mod, prehaps with specific DK maps (the one that came with the original Unreal was very errie and had some nice fog effects).

blackout
    this is a fast shooter, not boy scouts united.

The_Deacon
    Quote Originally Posted by StalwartUK
    Damn hit no by accident, but meant to vote yes.

It would be lovely if UT2007 had DK but it probably won't. The last game that had it built-in was UT (in which it was hidden). It would be great if it was made as a mod, prehaps with specific DK maps (the one that came with the original Unreal was very errie and had some nice fog effects).
    http://www.planetunreal.com/features/darkmatch/ - for anyone who wants to try darkmatch in UT

I really see no reason why it couldn't simply be added as a mutator that could work on any level (ok ONS might be a bit odd in the dark...).

musilowski
    Aah, darkmatch... Would be nice to see it with the new engine, either retail or custom made.

p2xelgen
    Quote Originally Posted by ne_skaju
    Will it be possible at least to create darkmatch as mod if it not included in retail version?
    ??? I'm not sure what you mean. I think your talking about creating a map with no lighting, where the only light comes from a flashlight or somthing.

Hedge-o-Matic
    I think Darkmatch would work best as a unique type all its own, as opposed to a mutator that just dims lights. There seems to be too many lighting optimization techniques that "fake" complex lighting (such as texture baking, and using selective unlit actors and meshes) in order to achieve a given result with the lighting as presented. To eliminate the lights themselves might just reveal the occasional mesh that is strangely "lit", because of a tex-bak or other technique, or your flashlight would reveal a still-present shadow coming from something past a light that's been turned off (like the lights past the turbines, giving us those nifty shadows on the floor).

Maybe this won't occur as much in 2k7, with the more advanced lighting engine making this sort of thing less useful. I certainly hope so, because in theory the new lighting engine would rock ass with flashlights. With just one long-range flashlight per player, the shadow calculations should be bearable. Stll, I assume that custom maps (without unlit or special-lit meshes, tex-baked or projected shadows, etc.) would work best.