Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone need a custom static mesh or two made?

legacy-Doomfest
    yeah you read the vision in my mind ^^ and yes, the glass is in between

this model is going to look awesome skinned (when its done that is)

legacy-SolaceEternal
    Originally posted by BigJim
    Ooh, that looks lovely.
    That's the kinda thing I meant about the Unreal *style* (if you will), it doesn't have to be practical, as long as it looks cool.

I know that ICBMs have to be a very specific kind of shape & size, but as long as your casual layer looks up & knows what it is, then by all means take as many style-liberties as you like.

I actually really like those fins running down it's length, almost like an arrow, I see where Doomfest's coming from, the sticky-out, Batmobile style fins have a very 50's/60's, cold war era feel (even if that particular style was confined to Hollywood space rockets), but I think the streamlined look you have there it is more functional & mean looking.
    Of course, you may even prefer some kind of compromise between the two, that's entirely up to you.

Personally I think the sharp edges on the fins are cool, but if you make them too sharp, it might end up looking a bit too angular and UT99-ish, but then again I don't know..
    That hollowpoint is nice as well, it's impractical, but it looks dangerous as hell.

Great stuff, I'm really looking forward to using this. *rubs hands together in glee*

Glad I could help. :3

What would you like for the label? Y'know, the label.... whatever the text is that designates where it's from, or whatever. The small portion of text on the side of it. ^^;

BigJim
    Ah, I'm entirely open to ideas here.
    For the temporary missiles I'd built for my early versions of the map, I'd just photoshopped up a quickie tex with Nuck-Ehm MKII down the side.

It's a bit silly, but I thought it'd get the idea across that these funny tube-things were meant to be missiles until I'd gotten to grips with the mesh-proper.
    Just poking about Wiki, I found this list;

Current and former US ballistic missiles

* Atlas (SM-65, CGM-16) former ICBM launched fro///
    * Titan I (SM-68, HGM-25A)
    * Titan II (SM-68B, LGM-25C) - former ICBM launched from silo, now the rocket is us//
    * Minuteman I (SM-80, LGM-30A/B, HSM-80)
    * Minuteman II (LGM-30F)
    * Minuteman III (LGM-30G) - launched from silo - as of June 28, 2004, there are 517 Minuteman III missiles in active inventory
    * LG-118A Peacekeeper / MX (LG-118A, MX) - silo-based; 29 missiles were on alert at the beginning of ///
    * Midgetman - has never been operational - launched from mobile launcher
    * Polaris A1, A2, A3 - (UGM-27/A/B/C) former SLBM
    * Poseidon C3 - (UGM-73) former SLBM
    * Trident - (UGM-93A/B) SLBM - Trident II (D5) was first deployed in 1990 and is planned to be deployed past 2020.

That said (pasted), you don't by rights have to use any specific text if you don't want to, or think that you've got a better idea.
    In the end I was planning on doing one or two additional textures, so that I can break them up a little & get a bit of variation among the missile hoard.
    (it's meant to be a disused facilty with abandoned weapons, not a fully-working missile base, and in my early builds using the same tex for all the missile just maked it look a bit bland).

For my money (well ok, not money, but at least my vote of confidence - Eternal for Prez! ), I'm happy with whatever texture you settle on, since I'll probably be doing (read - attempting) one or two of my own to go with it no doubt.

Again, I'm not trying to abdicate responsibility or anything, but since you made it, you must have some kind of idea of how you imagine it to look.
    I'm trying to use a fair bit of the old USAF Missile Defence imagery in the map, so as long as it fits in with that style, you can go wild for me.

Thank you again for all the hard work, I'll credit you fully in the readme & posted descriptions, but if you want any additional info to go in the readme, just let me know.

legacy-THENUCK
    OMG you look like a really good modeler and don't get me wrong that rocket looks awesome. BUT.....There's more to a model then pretty looks. How many triangles are on that modle? I won't slam you until I have a reason to complain. but it looks like it has an extremely high triangle count. I could be wrong but that model just looks way too smooth and I don't think it's because of soft edges.

(ps im only complaining cause I made the same mistake. I was really proud of my gun model...Except a gun model really shoulden't have more then 2000 triangles...)

legacy-SolaceEternal
    Originally posted by BigJim
    Thank you again for all the hard work, I'll credit you fully in the readme & posted descriptions, but if you want any additional info to go in the readme, just let me know. [/B]
    Lol ^^

The only other thing I'd ask you to put in the readme is that there are a few textures from HourIndusX_2004 and that new G-pack texture pack. :3

I fully understand you wantin' to screw with the textures for this; I expected it from the start, and I encourage you to. :3 If the colors aren't right, try opening the texture up in somethin' like photoshop, make a layer over it, fill it with whatever color you'd rather it be, screw with the opacity and use the eraser tool to remove said new color from places you don't want it to be in.

As for text on the side of it, I was also refering to perhaps putting the name of whatever you wanted the base to be called on the side.

Originally posted by THENUCK
    OMG you look like a really good modeler and don't get me wrong that rocket looks awesome. BUT.....There's more to a model then pretty looks. How many triangles are on that modle? I won't slam you until I have a reason to complain. but it looks like it has an extremely high triangle count. I could be wrong but that model just looks way too smooth and I don't think it's because of soft edges.

(ps im only complaining cause I made the same mistake. I was really proud of my gun model...Except a gun model really shoulden't have more then 2000 triangles...)

First of all, I really don't consider that a complaint. :3 More of offering advice based on past eperiance.

Seccond, I have kept it in mind, but thanks for your concern. Although I do truely have yet to witness what a good polycount for this would be... I do know that it's 1786 triangles, largely due to the fins, which nearly doubled it. In other words, I'm not entirely sure if I should have reduced it a bit more. (If this is a bad count, TELL ME NOW, lol)

Third... does it really look that good? O.o Crap, I've only been doing this for about a week now... this is essentially the third model I've ever made. ^^;

legacy-Ryandar
    Hmm, it is of course up to BigJim to decide, but although 1700-something polys isn't a problem in itself, these things have to be placed quite a few times.

I don't know if you've UV mapped yet, but if not, you may want to consider trimming down the polys a bit, starting at the fins you mentioned.
    Also, perhaps make it a bit slimmer. This would require a lot of work, but by making the rocket thinner, you could use less polys for your basic cylinder shape, which lower poly count considerably, without getting rid of detail.

BigJim
    Originally posted by SolaceEternal
    Lol ^^

The only other thing I'd ask you to put in the readme is that there are a few textures from HourIndusX_2004 and that new G-pack texture pack. :3

///

As for text on the side of it, I was also refering to perhaps putting the name of whatever you wanted the base to be called on the side.

///

Third... does it really look that good? O.o Crap, I've only been doing this for about a week now... this is essentially the third model I've ever made. ^^;
    Ah, hourences textures? I've been looking for an excuse to use that pack myself, no worries.

I get what you mean about the name down the side, I was just trying to say it's as much up to you as the base texture is, since I was planning on two or three missile variations, each with a different tex, I'd rather let you come up with the texture you want to do, rather than to try & dictate what I think would work based off a screenshot.

Also, I'm just as likley to prefer your ideas over my own, I'd never pass up the chance to get an outside opinion or take on it.

BTW, it's certainly good looking from here, I'm surprised it's only your 3rd model (the previous two I'm sure being your intial experiments into Maya), I certainly wouldn't have the confidence to produce a mesh for someone at that stage, hats off to ya'.

I honestly can't tell you about the ideal polycount, ooh, hang on.. *opens up UED & checks stock meshes..*

Well, the Bulldog mesh is 2352 polys, the Anubis statues are 2100, 2400 and 800 polys (roughly), so although I doubt the missiles will be a major system-killer, the large number of triangles may well cause you problems (well, annoyances shall we say) during UV mapping.
    The more triangles, the more you need to fiddle about with laying them down.

Personally I'd say let you decide. You've got the working copy, so if you personally think it would look as good with a reduced polycount, then by all means reduce it as much as you see fit.

I'm led to believe (that is, I've never done it myself), that balancing up the appearance vs performance of your mesh is all part of the learning process, but then again what do I know, I'm just being cheeky now.

Thanks again, ps; I've just built my new computer, so now I should be able to work in UED for more than an hour at a time without it dying on me, yay!

legacy-Doomfest
    I think the texture should be like the Nexus missiles from UT2004 :3 I like those colors, but like just that olive drab and make your own spray-painted text and **** making HUGE white letters on the side might make it look like a show-rocket though :P maybe a radioactive sign?

legacy-SolaceEternal
    Yeah, UV mapping it took most of yesterday and this morning. (Literally. >.>)

As of right now I'm screwing with the textures... and I'm havin' a bit of a problem with them. Not so much applying textures, but picking the RIGHT textures, lol. You'll probably get the "finished" version sometime today, weither it be in an hour or sometime tonight.

And I wasn't counting the maya tutorials when I said I had made three models; the first was a model of the Inflator from Turok: Rage Wars, and the seccond was my variation on it. :3

Meh.... I could not for the life of me do a decent texturing job on it. >.< At least I got it uv mapped, though. ^^;

legacy-THENUCK
    Actually i went through the engine and there were a couple times I saw models with over 3000 triangles. So your model may actually be pretty decent with what your trying to do. Doesn't work for my model unfortunatly....

The only weapon that comes close to 1000 triangles is the reedemer
    everything else is under 500