Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Program to kill all unnecessary background processes?

PointlesS
    I just look at each process and look them up on google

legacy-0V3RC10CK3D
    go to http://www.blackviper.com and kill everything that you dont need, the site has a list of all the windows services..

keep:
    scvhost.exe
    lsass.exe
    winlogin.exe
    csrss.exe
    smss.exe
    System
    System Idle Process

that's all that i have running when i play UT, yes I even kill explorer.exe...i have a batch file written that kills explorer.exe when i open UT and it reopens explorer.exe when i close UT, handy

legacy-gogobongopop
    If you want to stop something dead, no questions asked, the OS doing what it's actually told, instantly - it's actually very simple;

kill -9 [process id]

oh wait........

legacy-brokenFIX
    Originally posted by 0V3RC10CK3D
    i have a batch file written that kills explorer.exe when i open UT and it reopens explorer.exe when i close UT, handy [/B]
    Would you mind to share?

legacy-Bagel Fish
    Theres a new version of windows Task Manager. It exercises all the functionality and authority of its predeccesor and yet has absolutly nothing new to offer

legacy-IdleHand
    or, just hang fire for a few weeks until your new computer is ready :bored:

legacy-eZro\\errr
    copy this as a .bat file, add any unnecessary processes to the llist as u see fit, got it from some website, not sure where. use that bat file to launch UT.

taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe

start /wait E:\UT2004\System\UT2004.exe

start C:\Windows\explorer.exe

legacy-swarve

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by 0V3RC10CK3D
    i have a batch file written that kills explorer.exe when i open UT and it reopens explorer.exe when i close UT, handy
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would you mind to share?
    :up:

legacy-aTourist
    ..and if you want to know what you are about to kill:
    http://www.answersthatwork.com/Taskl...s/tasklist.htm

legacy-Phear

Re: Program to kill all unnecessary background processes?

Originally posted by RuinerReptile
    Just as the title says. Is there a program like this around? I feel like I'm not getting the franerates I should with a 6800NU and I would like to do all I can to get more frames. My PC is in dire need of a reformat but I can't do that until I finally get my new computer built which will be in a couple weeks. In the meantime though, I would like to see if I can squeeze some more fps out of this baby. Is there a program that will kill all unnecessary processes and apps running the background as soon as I start UT2004?
    Ok, insted of trying to end some processes, just how many fps are you getting? Make sure you have 8x agp enabled, i had some problems getting the drivers loaded on my 5600. But maybe you should tell us: 1. What game are you playing 2. With what settings 3. How many FPS