Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are screenshots copyrighted?

legacy-moppel

Are screenshots copyrighted?

I'm planning to use screenshots of UT2004 maps on my homepage. But is that even legally safe, or are screenshots just as copyrighted as pictures in books, pictures on the internet, etc.?
    And no, I don't think Epic or Atari would actually sue me, I just would like to know.

The_Deacon
    I think just the same as you can take a photo of some building, as long as you don't claim you built it (with screenshots I refer to the game engine and any non-custom content) then I don't think there are any copyright issues.

I could be wrong, though obviously Epic won't sue anyone about some screenshots as you said.

musilowski
    Originally posted by The_Deacon
    ... though obviously Epic won't sue anyone about some screenshots as you said ...
    Who knows?

legacy-badger_fruit
    I very much doubt it - otherwise they would include the copyright info when the screenshot is taken ....

If you take the "screenshots" from an existing website/publication then I'd say these are but if you take them yourself then I don't see any problems

legacy-PacMaan2004
    I would have thought its the same as with photographs, if you took them, then they belong to you - no matter what the subject matter.

Besides, i dont think Epic would have a problem with people helping to promote their game, do you? :weird: :up:

The_Deacon
    Originally posted by Format Life:
    Who knows?
    I WILL SUE YOU FOR QUOTING MY TEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES I AM MR. IRONIC

legacy--Loric-

Re: Are screenshots copyrighted?

Originally posted by moppel
    I'm planning to use screenshots of UT2004 maps on my homepage. But is that even legally safe, or are screenshots just as copyrighted as pictures in books, pictures on the internet, etc.?
    And no, I don't think Epic or Atari would actually sue me, I just would like to know.
    Just imagine what mod making would be if Epic or Atari were to endorse that kind of policy.
    Don't worry you're safe there. It would be nice to add a little credit mentioning the game the screens are from so you promote it.

legacy-Gaal Dornik
    I think as long as its not for profit its allowed

legacy-Turbidity
    Originally posted by The_Deacon
    I WILL SUE YOU FOR QUOTING MY TEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sigged.

legacy-Yourself
    Just post a link to UT2004 homepage and note that the screenshots are from UT2004. For safety.