Compatibility: UT2004
    Description:
    Comments:
    Screenshot:
    Credits:
    Homepage:
    Download: http://www.saratoga.utclans.com/

legacy-NeoPhoenix
    Sweet looking map, DL'ing now... And before anyone *****es and moans about there being no screen shots, click the link first. He has screenies and more there.

legacy-Saratoga Sam
    Here's the readme.txt file which provides a little more info on the map.

-----------------------------
    BR-Saratoga_Arena_IV README
    by Saratoga Sam (Jeff Johnson)
    -----------------------------

--------------
    Map Statistics
    --------------
    Game Type: Bombing Run;
    Originally designed for InstaGib, normal gravity, no translocator, normal jump but plays well with regular weapons and/or quad jump.

RW Support: Yes
    Bot Pathing: Yes, extensive.
    New textures: Yes, wall posters.
    New graphics: No
    New sounds or music: Yes (crowd sounds) and Yes (arena organ music)
    Speed: On my machine, with NORMAL game-graphics-detail settings, the map runs between 60-85 FPS with 10 bots playing InstaGib.
    My computer: 2.4 GHz P4, 512Mb PC800 RDRAM, ATI Radeon9700 128Mb DDR.

-----------------------
    Construction Statistics
    -----------------------
    Editors Used: UnrealEd3
    Construction Time: Off and On from JUly 2003 - May 2004, a few hours at a time.
    Known bugs: None.

HOW TO INSTALL: Place the file BR-Saratoga_Arena_Iv.ut2 in your UT2004/Maps folder.

-----------
    Description
    -----------
    "Nestled in the heart of Silicon Valley, Saratoga Arena was once a great dining hall of the ancient Saratogan civilization. With venture capital funding, the abandoned ruins were recast into the present day arena where laid off dot-commers and high tech workers earn a decent wage as modern day gladiators. Get your tickets while you can!"

This map presents the attacker with 2 strategies - go high and to the right for 7 points or go low and left for 3 points. High and right is the more dangerous path but has the largest potential reward. This is not a boost map nor is it a base map. However, it has elements of both. It has custom crowd sounds, arena music, a scrolling leader board, moving TV cameras and wall-poster ads to simulate the arena illusion.

-----------------
    Special Thanks To
    -----------------

The mapping community at Architectonic for all their help in answering my questions.

The tutorials at Architectonic and leveldesigner.com.

The |DRD| and ]v[ clans for playtesting and map feedback.

----------------
    Other Maps by Me
    ----------------
    Saratoga Meadows

--------------
    Copyright Info
    --------------
    Please do not use this level as a base for your own level without my permission. If you need something,
    I'm a pretty reasonable guy; just contact me at saratoga_sam@johnsonweb.us. You may include this
    map in map-packs and distribute it freely, as long as this readme file is included and I am given credit.

This map may not be commercially distributed without my permission.

Saratoga Arena IV (C)2004 Jeff Johnson.

legacy-Erebus
    Nice map. Simple visual style that really stands out. I also like the availability of two scoring paths, the harder path for the higher score.

hope to play this online!

props.

legacy-AirmoCorps
    ROLF. If this is the saratoga I'm thinking of (the one next to San Jose), then mad props to you my good sir.

But is this map based on any single... location? Aside from maybe a family restaraunt or two it doesn't look particularily based on... "saratogan civilization" aside from the mention in the readme.

Otherwise, a nice simple-and-short map. Kind of refreshing, really.

legacy-jamie1224
    Any chance of converting these maps to Carball? They'd be awesome. If you really don't want to mess around with it, just give me permission and I'll convert them all. These maps would rock, especially the FIFA one.

legacy-Saratoga Sam
    Originally posted by Erebus
    Nice map. Simple visual style that really stands out. I also like the availability of two scoring paths, the harder path for the higher score.

hope to play this online!

props.
    Thank-you! Here are two public servers who are currently running Saratoga Arena:

Wicked Monkeys: 68.2.145.185.9999
    DBA: 67.19.69.4:7777

legacy-Saratoga Sam
    Originally posted by AirmoCorps
    ROLF. If this is the saratoga I'm thinking of (the one next to San Jose), then mad props to you my good sir.

But is this map based on any single... location? Aside from maybe a family restaraunt or two it doesn't look particularily based on... "saratogan civilization" aside from the mention in the readme.

Otherwise, a nice simple-and-short map. Kind of refreshing, really.
    It's really just me poking a little fun at the city of Saratoga, CA (where I live) - which as you mentioned is located right next to San Jose. Saratoga is a small, conservative, bedroom community for Silicon Valley. The thought of having a gladiator-type arena in the midst of the city struck me as funny.

The Saratogan Civilization is just something I made up -- after I finished the map it just looked like it was once a great dining hall of an ancient civilization.

legacy-Saratoga Sam
    Originally posted by jamie1224
    Any chance of converting these maps to Carball? They'd be awesome. If you really don't want to mess around with it, just give me permission and I'll convert them all. These maps would rock, especially the FIFA one.
    For the Saratoga maps, go right ahead. Make sure you give yourself credit for the conversion and please leave me in there as the original designer.

I can't give you permission on FIFA because it is not really my map. I actually converted the original FIFA to the night-time theme you see now because the original day-time theme made it nearly impossible to see the ball. I tried to locate the orignal author but could not - so I did the conversion without permission.

If you want to convert it to carball then be aware that the original author may have an issue with it - I don't know. But if you can find him/her let me know too!

legacy-jamie1224
    Thanks man. I love Carball, and some of these BR maps are ideal for it. If i get sued (lol) for the FIFA, i'll be sure to let you know.