Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: UT99 to UT2k4

legacy-ryansgladmin
    There is no possible way Id go back to 99. I loved 99 but after playing 2k4 99 feels like crap. You forget how bad the 99 lag from the netcode was. The sniper community for 2k4 is doing just fine too. Several servers are packed every night. It took very little to switch to 2k4 for me. Sgl servers are set to be as close to 99 as possible. No double jump, and same grav as ut. We have lots of fun playing it. 2k3 was decent, but I didnt give up 99 for it. Went back to 99 till 2k4 came out. I wont be going back again. Epic did it right this time imo.

Folk
    Originally posted by ryansgladmin
    You forget how bad the 99 lag from the netcode was.
    Huh? If anything I see more lag on UT2004 servers. And why would I forget... I just finished playing a little UT99 DM just 15 minutes ago.

legacy-ryansgladmin
    The lag you see is your system, or a crappy server not the netcode. Upgrade. I already know you play onslaught, and what fps do you maitain while you play? That my friend is system lag.

legacy-SirJusticE
    or maby they wanted to put quake stuff and ut stuff together in one omni package of distruction

legacy-RedShadowXX
    UT99 is just so lame and so rudimentary compared to the gameplay in UT2004. I regret buying the game and my UT99 CD is in the trash thanks to the glory and goodness of UT2004.

In UT2004, to be a good player, you have to learn many techniques wall dodging, double dodging, double jumping, mastery of all weapons, knowing which one to use in which situation (e.g. if someone is using link gun, keep your distance and attack with minigun secondary), etc.

In UT99, the gameplay is much more rudimentary. Movement is too simple. WEapons are drastically flawed. The shock rifle is way too overpowered and a shock combo is too easy too pull off. Rocket launcher either sucks (WHY DO THE ROCKETS MOVE SO SLOWLY?!?!) or is hella cheap (just hold left mouse button until enemy appears, it won't unload until about 10 minutes). Pulse gun is absolutely useless. Flak cannon is too good at any range (the trajectory of 2nd fire in UT2004 saved the weapon from being way too cheap). It is way too easy to snipe somebody in UT99. The ripper is just spam, spam, spam and the bio-rifle...well....eveyrbody knows about that. The weapon balance in UT2004 is far, far, far superior to the weapon "balance" in UT99. In UT2004, I find myself using every weapon at a different time. (Although i really thought UT99 did it right with the enforcers....)

UT2004 also requires better accuracy and better reflexes. Its so hard to dodge in UT that you can pwn an unexpected victim in no time. They won't get anywhere soon.

UT2004 is far deeper and requires much more skill than UT99 in this sense. I just couldn't stand UT99 at first, because it seemed so boring and...how do i put this...."static." I can't play that game for more than 20 minutes. UT2004 is MUCH more fun and I hate losers who can't muster up the money or computing power for UT2004 and try to compensate for it by whining about how UT99 is far superior with its "amazing flow and feel" (whatever that means) to UT2004 when it quite simply isn't.

And yes, the netcode in UT2004 is much better than the crappy one in UT99.

legacy-squoibymox
    UT99 is the hands down winner if you're talking about older computers.

But on a modern rig it's sure hard to go back.

There's things I miss about UT99 (actually I didn't own that, I had GOTY), but hey, it's sort of like music - you don't necessarily want an exact carbon copy of the old game...

There's got to be SOME change...

For the most part I see UT2004 as changed for the better.

And the overall game is certainly huge in comparison as well...

I still fire up GOTY from time to to time just for kicks, but I gotta admit as great as it was I'm a little bored of it nowadays...

legacy-Necromancer
    I know what your saying
    both 2k3 and 2k4 bug the sh1t out of meh to play

[spoiler]UT>2K*[/spoiler]

legacy-DarK
    The new physics engine in UT200X (unreal warfare) is to blame.

legacy-SX_T1
    As far as the sniper community goes, in UT (when i first started playing, in 2000) there were 7-10 servers packed full of people all the time. Now the only busy UT server in sniper is mine. As far as the sniper community in 2k4, id say you got maybe 30 people who play regularly, and i think thats stretching it.

legacy-Yourself
    Originally posted by RedShadowXX
    UT99 is just so lame and so rudimentary compared to the gameplay in UT2004. I regret buying the game and my UT99 CD is in the trash thanks to the glory and goodness of UT2004.

In UT2004, to be a good player, you have to learn many techniques wall dodging, double dodging, double jumping, mastery of all weapons, knowing which one to use in which situation (e.g. if someone is using link gun, keep your distance and attack with minigun secondary), etc.

In UT99, the gameplay is much more rudimentary. Movement is too simple. WEapons are drastically flawed. The shock rifle is way too overpowered and a shock combo is too easy too pull off. Rocket launcher either sucks (WHY DO THE ROCKETS MOVE SO SLOWLY?!?!) or is hella cheap (just hold left mouse button until enemy appears, it won't unload until about 10 minutes). Pulse gun is absolutely useless. Flak cannon is too good at any range (the trajectory of 2nd fire in UT2004 saved the weapon from being way too cheap). It is way too easy to snipe somebody in UT99. The ripper is just spam, spam, spam and the bio-rifle...well....eveyrbody knows about that. The weapon balance in UT2004 is far, far, far superior to the weapon "balance" in UT99. In UT2004, I find myself using every weapon at a different time. (Although i really thought UT99 did it right with the enforcers....)

UT2004 also requires better accuracy and better reflexes. Its so hard to dodge in UT that you can pwn an unexpected victim in no time. They won't get anywhere soon.

UT2004 is far deeper and requires much more skill than UT99 in this sense. I just couldn't stand UT99 at first, because it seemed so boring and...how do i put this...."static." I can't play that game for more than 20 minutes. UT2004 is MUCH more fun and I hate losers who can't muster up the money or computing power for UT2004 and try to compensate for it by whining about how UT99 is far superior with its "amazing flow and feel" (whatever that means) to UT2004 when it quite simply isn't.

And yes, the netcode in UT2004 is much better than the crappy one in UT99.
    Are you trying to create the world's largest flame bait?