Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Help! Ping spiking horribly for no reason.

TroyN

Please Help! Ping spiking horribly for no reason.

At the beginning of every game on every server my ping spikes horribly to 600-999. For no reason. I've tried EVERYTHING I can think of to fix it. I have a router, no firewall, and i've tried opening every port. Here are my specs

Pentium 4 3.0ghz 800fsb with Hyperthreading Technology
    nVidia Geforce FX 5800 Ultra using ForceWare 52.16
    1024 DDR SDRAM PC3200
    Network Everywhere/Linksys NR041 Router

I don't think the router is the problem though. If i disconnect it, it still happens. This also happens in America's Army. (I'm assuming it has something to do with the Unreal Warfare engine.) Can anyone PLEASE help me? This is driving me insane.

legacy-If you see kay
    maybe you have a virus?
    like the blaster worm?
    It was known to cause major ping spikes

TroyN
    Nah, scanned for virii on two different programs. AVG and Norton. Also, it's only games that use the Unreal Warfare engine. Every other game works fine. I have alot of games to base that on. I just can't figure it out.

legacy-If you see kay
    it just spikes at the first?
    like during the countdown it spikes, then its normal throughout the game?

TroyN
    No, right after the countdown is when it spikes. Then it stays at 600-999 for about 2 minutes. then it's fine. However during the countdown everytime the text flashes the game locks up for a second. That's a different story though.

legacy-If you see kay
    i have that same lagg problem,i thought that might have been causeing your lagg,butt i dont have it last 2 minutes
    You might try defaulting your ut2003.ini
    sometimes it helps me when i start pinging bad
    have you tried running tracert?

TroyN
    Never edited it, or my ArmyOps.ini.

legacy-If you see kay
    no delete it
    next time you restart it will put a fresh default in its place
    but really that doesnt sound like the problem if both games are doing that
    try traceing a few server ips see if you have a bad hop

TroyN
    Just reinstalled it. Fresh .ini. Had to get rid of a few bad skin files anyway. It STILL is doing the same thing. Also, it's every server. I've joined upwards of 100 servers checking. Same thing on all. And, with AAO. It's aparently something to do with the Unreal engine for sure. I have no clue what though. So, someone PLEASE help me.

TroyN
    Sorry to bump...but i cannot play the game. Someone here HAS to know a fix. Please help guys.