Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to Recruit a Programmer

legacy-Messenger
    I tried to do everythilng I could think of in my recent post to recruite a programmer. Can you please let me know what I did wrong? I provided, a discription of the project, a link to my website (that I handcoded), concept art, specifications on the team and what functions they perform includeing myself, and I said that I will provide, docuements, and complete models if someone takes interest and requests them. I also provided examples of my previouse work. I even pointed out a link to a demo that show what physics I am asking the programmer to create even though the demo is for a game engine. I also will provide charts and a two assistant programmers that will help the lead programmer and that are willing to teach the lead programmer anything he needs to know.; I am also willing to write up a special database if someone requests it. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

legacy-Mychaeel
    For one, your posting shows a distinct lack of visual structure; from a first look it's just a length of paragraphs. Some formatting might help.

Also, you should fix the image links; clicking them yields a "Forbidden" message. It's also not too smart an idea to make it artificially complicated for potentially interested people to spot and use your email address. And a statement like "These pictures barely touch on what I have been developeing for this mod" makes a reader wonder why you don't post the stuff that really touches what you have been developing for this mod instead; you're advertising your idea after all.

Lastly, even though the way you wrote that posting itself seems okay, that obviously doesn't guarantee that you'll find anyone who's actually interested in investing time into your mod idea.

Keep in mind that you are not addressing a crowd of coders that are desperate to find employment in a mod team. Most people reading your posting are not actively looking for a mod team to join. They'll think very well before they show interest in joining anybody's team.

legacy-MrPayne
    I was wondering how that flow chart was created and where the program is that you made it with. I don't want to use illustrator cause if anything changes it would be such a pain to change everything else to accommodate. Thank you.

legacy-[HJ]-RedRaven
    Sound advice indeed. Good stuff.

In general, programmers aren't really interested in visible assets... ie what a weapon or texture look like, or even how it works in-game - their task is to link everything together into a cohesive structure. Game.

Programmers are like the 'glue', while all your assets/textures/models etc are the bricks your mod/game is made of.

A few extra points to consider, for both programmers and designers: the format is a bit higgledy-piggledy, but you'll understand.

Programmers are almost never recognised as being 'creative' in the same way that construction workers aren't either.This is wrong. All too often, game designers, and in the case of the construction worker, the building architects are considered the creative force behind a project. Ego comes into play and more often than not slows down the project's progress.
    Without the programmer's work, most game design simply isn't possible.

Maturity. A good game designer isn't 12 years old with an idea scribbled down on the back of their high school math book.

Designers need to be able to accept incoming information / assets on a daily basis without getting flustered, or holding up the other team members work. They need to be critical without being negative, understanding while remaining firm and accept responsibility for communication within the team.
    They need to disperse data quickly and to the team members that need it, while preventing information overload to those team members who really don't need to know that sniper rifle texture changed (again).

Programmers of any worth are invariably bright people, often mature for their age, and generally they're looking for the same qualities in their boss, the lead programmer, or design lead for the project.
    If you don't have a lot of life experience, it'll be difficult, as there is often friction between team members, especially those who are waiting on a programmer to bring their precious idea to life.

As for programmers having creative control over their work:

Designers need to trust your potential programmer(s) - their creative input should be valued highly - since they often kinow what is technically possible and also what is economically (money or team members' time).
    Game designers need to be firm, however - solid, workable game ideas that are part of the main design shouldn't be changed - even if the programmer doesn't like that particular feature.
    Humans are built to have ideas - especially empowered, enthusiastic team members! Designers must expect feature-creep during the course of the project - and must welcome new ideas (even if they are rejected or postponed).

Programmers also need to display maturity...you might be a gun with UnrealScript and C++, but if you can't get along with the other team members,

Communication is vital to a programmer - designers and other team members must be able to explain exactly what effect they want. That way, there's less variability in the programmer's output.

And here I disagree with James -
    - Spelling and grammar need only be perfect for the fianl product (or any publicly available release). So long as your communication skills are good, the medium or accuracy within a medium aren't important. Getting the idea across is all that is needed.

Overall - the message is to WORK TOGETHER. Even if its your precious baby - you can't get there without the rest of the team.

I see too many game design/leads caught up in thinking "Wow, I have this great team working for me! I totally rock!"...when it should be "My project has all these great people working for it...and I'm just one of them". Put your ego in the bottom drawer, and get on with the work.
    Even Derek Smart finally woke up to that. Well he hired some people anyway... :P

legacy-JamesWalkoski
    And here I disagree with James -
    - Spelling and grammar need only be perfect for the fianl product (or any publicly available release). So long as your communication skills are good, the medium or accuracy within a medium aren't important. Getting the idea across is all that is needed.
    Professionalism, such as being able to spell properly, in a recruiting post is essential for myself and many people I know to even take a post seriously. Obviously, once you start working it becomes less important.

legacy-vicer
    i gota say wow. thats so true: "Rather, "Wow, that sounds like a lot of work". "

the first thing i think of when coding is the amount of effort to produce something. and with placeholder art i can only say its like the thing youd use to hold something together while the glue sets. lastly as for coders not being creative, think about your cars engine. out of all the car owners out there how many of you actualy know how your engine works to the bolt? the thought that went into producing a cars engine is under the surface and something that isnt the first thing most people see. knowing this a coder needs a reason to put in the effort to something most people wont look at and only complain about if it fails.

good post james btw cool game

legacy-Dreyco
    How about my Communist Aggression Recruitment one? I tried to follow your sugguestions but so far no posts. Am I just rushing things or maybe the mod idea isn't very interesting? Any and all help would be appricated, also where would I find a good skinner? I think I've got the coders covered now but Skinners... thats another story.

Thanks in advance!

legacy--GSF-JohnDoe
    it may not be very interesting to the people here, although they might also be busy (with other projects, such as myself). Dont think it's just not interesting tho.

also, to get skinners you might wanna check out a photoshop forum or something. Programmers generally dont focus on graphics

legacy-Creiz
    Very Useful and constructive post, here.

Well this as close to truth as it can be. Recruiting coders for a mod
    is not much different as recruiting coders for some company: both need content to start working fast. It must be clear, simple, and effective. I don't think coders like to lose their time for misunderstandings. Also, I personnally think that you must give a chance to beginner to intermediate coders, as they "learn at war"

I'm not saying to take a complete newb for lead coder, but include one or two in your team: making a mod is free, and you have all the time you want to finish it. New coders will take experience with your project, and at the end, not only you will
    feel proud for having completes a kick-*** mod, but you will feel proud for 'forming' new contributors as well. That applies to every
    category too.

I honestly think that the goal of a community is exactly to help
    people who want to learn your steps.

hmmm... err... well... ok I think that does it. I bid you all to forgive me for any syntax or grammatical errors you may have found, but i'm not so fluent in english.:cry:

legacy-Dreyco
    Yea, I agree with letting others "learn" with experiance. Our mod is now full with coders 2 are experienced and another 2 are learning what they can.