PDA

View Full Version : CTF-Faceless

Darkn3ss is QnL
05-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Name: CTF-Faceless
Version: Beta
Compatibility: PC / Working PS3 version but with blackbox glitch! due to a non fixable cooking version.
By distributing the alpha version I would kindly request a working PS3 version. Feedback from PS3 still wanted!
Playercount: 6 - 12
Textures: Everything custom made by myself.

DOWNLOAD PC+PS3 RAR file (http://www.mediafire.com/?32772188g04olr4)

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/5177/facelesspromo3.jpg
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/6065/facelesspromo2.jpg
http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/865/facelesspromo1.jpg
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/7229/facelesspromo4.jpg
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/1527/texturepalette.jpg

Darkn3ss is QnL
05-21-2012, 02:06 AM
Is the PC version working?
At UOF I hear that the PC version cant start.

At my behalf its working tho. Hmm.

I apologize for the inconvenience in advance.
Please download and let me know if its working yes or no.

Private Tux
05-21-2012, 04:34 AM
This map looks like Tetris style (or HOLP actually, IIRC), but my UT3 is crashing also for running this map. Checked this through UnrealEd, worked, and has missing texture references (the textures are entirely default), or it has something wrong with the LightMapTexture.

Darkn3ss is QnL
05-21-2012, 05:20 AM
Thnx for testing Tux.

Yea already figured that out.
Meh, those two references are not in my CTF-Faceless package anymore.
Its referenced by an external package called UTTechpackage.upk.

But I replaced all of the references with new materials imported to the new package.
But are there still references set to brushes inside my map? Bluh.
How to remove dat?

Hayrack
05-21-2012, 06:24 AM
Maybe try doing full rebuild of the map, then go to Tools -> Clean BSP Materials. As far as I remember, this is highly recomended.

Darkn3ss is QnL
05-21-2012, 07:10 AM
Maybe try doing full rebuild of the map, then go to Tools -> Clean BSP Materials. As far as I remember, this is highly recomended.

Thanks for that tip ;) Will try it out.

TKBS
05-21-2012, 07:50 AM
* I had the same issues; open in editor I saw no textures.
* you still have that same geometry aswel; where the ramps are not the correct size; thus even though i saw no textures i know they will not be aligned.
* Post processing is needed.

- if the map is only BSP and uses square textures - i cannot stress how important it is to fix the geometry/ or tiling or scaling- or even bump offset ur textures with a few shaders for where its needed.

Darkn3ss is QnL
05-21-2012, 08:17 AM
Its not if I open the editor then I see no textures.. and its neither a BSP issue lol.. I have blocking volumes set up around my BSP so everything runs smooth.
Did you read the story? ..

I have overwritten the blank materials caused by dead references (coming from another package) with other materials in my mappackage so far,
but he still gives the error that two external references are not found in the map.

This is what I learned from Sjosz:

"External reference error means that the material is referencing assets (texture, normal map, any of the elements comprising the material) from another package. Usually this doesn't really have to give off errors, but seeing as it may reference from a 'mylevel' type package, it'll cause problems.

The way to fix this is to copy all your textures (red outline) first, save that as a package, and then duplicate the materials into the package and open the materials up to replace the texture references to the textures in the new package rather than the mylevel location"

My packagename is CTF-Faceless.. That might be the cause of all the problems.

Darkn3ss is QnL
05-21-2012, 08:32 AM
Plus I did not use an bump offset since most brick textures are Chisel hard embossed creating the smart illusion of having a bump already.
An extra money and work saver :)

Sly.
05-21-2012, 08:33 AM
I have blocking volumes set up around my BSP so everything runs smooth.
That's really not necessary, because BSP has already a quite simple collision unless you have some complex constructions on walls, floors or something, but I don't see any on the screenshots? :confused:

Talking about that you can open it: This means you forgot to include a file or have references to said file - which you have so you can open it, but we don't so it crashes (probably, untypical but possible). I recommend to clean the BSP materials as TKBS suggested.

What TKBS said is that square textures get easily repetitive - especially without bumpmap! That's what I noticed on the screenshots, they definitely need bumpmaps, you should try out CrazyBump, you will find it referenced at UOF, shouldn't be hard to find. The results are great! ;)

Now, what I would suggest would be some more details, there are some great example maps which you could take a look at, Itarion by stevelois (check the UOF mappack 3) for example and Galsteen (http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/908445-DM-Galsteen-PC) by Mclogenog. I hope they will inspire you to make it more "whoa!". ;)

Darkn3ss is QnL
05-21-2012, 10:04 AM
That's really not necessary, because BSP has already a quite simple collision unless you have some complex constructions on walls, floors or something, but I don't see any on the screenshots? :confused:

Talking about that you can open it: This means you forgot to include a file or have references to said file - which you have so you can open it, but we don't so it crashes (probably, untypical but possible). I recommend to clean the BSP materials as TKBS suggested.

What TKBS said is that square textures get easily repetitive - especially without bumpmap! That's what I noticed on the screenshots, they definitely need bumpmaps, you should try out CrazyBump, you will find it referenced at UOF, shouldn't be hard to find. The results are great! ;)

Now, what I would suggest would be some more details, there are some great example maps which you could take a look at, Itarion by stevelois (check the UOF mappack 3) for example and Galsteen (http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/908445-DM-Galsteen-PC) by Mclogenog. I hope they will inspire you to make it more "whoa!". ;)

What do you mean with details? I think I did not left out on this map haha.

Darkn3ss is QnL
05-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Recooked the pc version and found working on my system.
Cleaning the BSP materials seems to have helped. Thanks Hay :)

Let me know if anything goes wrong.

Download link back in the first post!

Sly.
05-21-2012, 12:05 PM
Well, by details I mean something like missing blocks here and there, some broken ceilings, pillars on walls (walls look a bit flat yet) and you have to realign the slopes to match the walls! :)
Will give it a try later today or tomorrow, short on time.

Darkn3ss is QnL
05-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Yeah I was thinking the same thing man at first. I didnt want to put too much detail into it at first for the sake of the beta, because I also dont have any specific blocking volumes set up for smaller things cut out my walls. but ill keep that in mind for the alpha :)

Hope you enjoy it anyway.

Bl!tz~
05-21-2012, 03:14 PM
yo bro, just dowloaded it from the new link and unfortunatly it still crashing here .... :eek:....;)

Darkn3ss is QnL
05-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Gotta be kidding me eh.
Blehhh why does it work on my behalf then.. weird..

Anyone else having trouble with the new link?

Sly.
05-21-2012, 06:33 PM
You can open it because you have the referenced materials.

Bl!tz~
05-21-2012, 06:45 PM
You can open it because you have the referenced materials.

... sure

Sly.
05-21-2012, 06:53 PM
It was meant as a response to Darkness' last post. ;)
He has the (accidentally) referenced materials while we don't have them. I gave it a try, same here.

Bl!tz~
05-21-2012, 06:55 PM
It was meant as a response to Darkness' last post after mine. ;)
He has the (accidentally) referenced materials while we don't have them. I gave it a try, same here.

...euh.....mine was just a confirmation to him that i think the same as you on this....and that of course HE can open it...lol.....i probably used wrong words but bah.....herbtea time! ;)

how the hell could i took it like a response to me as i dont have the referenced materials? ...and still cant play the map....hm?...+.+ ...haha

stevelois
05-21-2012, 11:20 PM
I wanted to try the map but I'll wait for the next release since it seem to be a prob reading the previous comments.

It look like a cool map. I like how the materials look. Simple & techy :) Perhaps I will be able to suggest something when the next release will be available :o Will advertise your map on my site as soon as you have a working version :D

Therefore, a suggestion I can give is to use a proper file name, alpha XX, beta XX, etc or else it's a pain to "try" to follow a project dev. Look at my info (http://stevelois.wordpress.com/gaming/dev-information-eng) to understand the officials ways of publishing something :)

Sly.
05-22-2012, 01:34 AM
Other than that reusing the same filename will easily cause version mismatch when you publish it to the public. However, I think if it was a closed beta that would be no real deal as it won't be put on a server anyway. But then again, naming it B1, B2, B3 makes it easier to recognize which file is the latest.

@Blitz: That priceless/awkward moment when one is that tired at 1AM when posting a comment that one doesn't even remember posting the post - which is then in most cases totally ununderstandable. That's like "Luke, I am your post!", you: "No, it can't be!". At least I didn't write in gibberish. lol

Darkn3ss is QnL
05-22-2012, 04:14 AM
Other than that reusing the same filename will easily cause version mismatch when you publish it to the public. However, I think if it was a closed beta that would be no real deal as it won't be put on a server anyway. But then again, naming it B1, B2, B3 makes it easier to recognize which file is the latest.

@Blitz: That priceless/awkward moment when one is that tired at 1AM when posting a comment that one doesn't even remember posting the post - which is then in most cases totally ununderstandable. That's like "Luke, I am your post!", you: "No, it can't be!". At least I didn't write in gibberish. lol

Ty Sly and Stevelois.

So, for the good order, Do I need to re-save the unpublished file as a different name like: CTF_Faceless_BetaV1 , then recook it and distribute it?

Private Tux
05-22-2012, 05:15 AM
So, for the good order, Do I need to re-save the unpublished file as a different name like: CTF_Faceless_BetaV1 , then recook it and distribute it?

I would take that as a 'yes'. Try it mate, make sure that the custom contents are here, and don't take the UT3 on all of us crashing. You'll need to add the '_Beta' suffix first before this map goes final soon. Tell me if I'm wrong, IMHO. :o

Cordially,
Tux Android

Sly.
05-22-2012, 08:11 AM
It's quite common in the mapping scene to either put _Alpha# (if alpha state/no real beta, # for the version number, important: DO NOT USE DOTS!), _Beta# and in some cases mappers even use _Final (in some cases _Final# if there are several versions) at the end of the mapname for their releases. The final is not really necessary though, unless the original "final" (that should be the "original mapname" without any suffix) was seen as "unworthy"/incomplete/buggy, but was already released as such and had to be edited afterwards, thus changing the file. Releasing it under the same name will have the risk of a version mismatch if it was put on a server by an admin for example. Then they either add a _V# (for version #) at the end of the mapname or (if this shall really be the last edit of the map) use _Final. However, I recommend to really let your maps be tested a lot and for a certain period of time (like 2 weeks for example) before you go final, that way people will more likely spot the remaining bugs. If you consider a release already a final release but want people to check it for bugs, it's common to call it a "Release Candidate". In some cases there are several versions of a RC (suffix is _RC#), but I have rarely seen stuff exceed the 1.

RCs are especially important when working with BSP! Because after changing the last stuff in the BSP architecture of your "last planned beta"/when you are working on the final version which you want to keep as such, it might be that after rebuild BSP-errors could pop up!
That means, you could think "I did the changes, nothing to worry about now", but in fact there is now a blocked off corridor because there is an invisible wall, the result of a BSP-error - which can make the map unplayable.

stevelois
05-22-2012, 01:49 PM
...So, for the good order, Do I need to re-save the unpublished file as a different name like: CTF_Faceless_BetaV1 , then recook it and distribute it?

Yep m8, I would do that for sure :)

Make sure everything is inside the map. Avoid external packake at all cost m8.

Darkn3ss is QnL
05-31-2012, 09:07 AM
Bump, still working to get this working :P. Had no time to fix this map :)
Will do asap!

Darkn3ss is QnL
06-02-2012, 06:38 PM
No luck so far. There is still a broken reference somewhere that causes the map to crash everytime. *sigh*
Cleaning BSP materials did not work.

I will do big and redo all textures again when I feel like destroying my whole day.

This thread is = until then.

TKBS
06-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Darkness - can you upload the Log file?
- if you can ill take a look; if you wanna upload your unpublished stuff aswel then crack on

-p.s. - It is not all bad - as long as you keep regular back up files
- sometimes it is good to not name your map until the very end, then youu can always called the last published file whatever you like.
- i had to re-install UT3 for the 43rd time the other day; then, when i loaded my map it gave me a runtime error;lost 12 days :(
- ut3 sux lol

Private Tux
06-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Reference textures/cached shader map from DM-Egress is missing, this is a cause of UT3 crash, probably posted in the WIP section mate.

Here's the issue:

Log: Virtual memory allocation size: 236.87 MByte (248373248 Bytes)
Log: Physical memory allocation size: 0.00 MByte (0 Bytes)
Log: Missing cached shader map for material BlackFloorTrim_Mat
Log: Missing cached shader map for material Egress_ArmorTile_Mat
Log: Missing cached shader map for material Egress_BlueLight_Mat
Log: Missing cached shader map for material Egress_BlueTileBase_Mat
Log: Missing cached shader map for material Egress_DoorTileBlackBlue_Mat
Log: Missing cached shader map for material Egress_DoorTileBlackRed_Mat
Log: Missing cached shader map for material Egress_HealthTile_Mat
Log: Missing cached shader map for material Egress_MoreThenBlackTrim_Mat
Log: Missing cached shader map for material Egress_RedLight_Mat
Log: Missing cached shader map for material Egress_YellowLight_Mat
Log: Missing cached shader map for material EgressBlackWall_ForeverClanEmbossed_Mat
Log: Missing cached shader map for material EgressBlackWall_ForeverDevil_Mat
Log: Missing cached shader map for material EgressBlackWall_Mat
Log: Missing cached shader map for material EgressBrownBrick_Mat
Log: Missing cached shader map for material EgressBrownFloorTrim_Mat
Log: Missing cached shader map for material EgressRedBrick_Mat
Log: Missing cached shader map for material EgressWallTrim1_Mat
Log: Missing cached shader map for material EgressWallTrim_ArrowBlue_Mat
Log: Missing cached shader map for material EgressWallTrim_ArrowRed_Mat
Log: Missing cached shader map for material EgressWhiteLight_Mat
Log: Missing cached shader map for material GreyBlueTile_Mat
Log: Missing cached shader map for material GreyOrange_Tile1_Mat
Log: Missing cached shader map for material GreyRedTile_Mat
Log: Missing cached shader map for material GreyWhiteTile_Mat
Critical: appError called:
Critical: Assertion failed: GIsEditor [File:.\Src\Texture2D.cpp] [Line: 627]
Cannot create textures at run-time in the game [unable to find DM-Egress]
Stack:
Critical: Windows GetLastError: The operation completed successfully. (0)
Log: === Critical error: ===
Assertion failed: GIsEditor [File:.\Src\Texture2D.cpp] [Line: 627]
Cannot create textures at run-time in the game [unable to find DM-Egress]
Stack:

SkaarjMaster
06-13-2012, 10:00 PM
crashed for me also and mouse wouldn't work and had to hit enter to get out of UT3.exe error. Then the keyboard messed up and my typing processes very slow and I had to reboot. Probably a good idea to figure out WTF with both of your maps and repost them.

LordBret
06-14-2012, 05:02 AM
Me too can you fix it ?

:(

Darkn3ss is QnL
06-19-2012, 09:46 AM
I've had some long issues with cooking maps.

- Things disappear
- Walls/floors become completly black
- Black box glitch on PS3 version

Im still tryin to sort out what goes wrong here.
But Im short on time.

Ill repost once sorted out.

LordBret
06-19-2012, 04:47 PM
Hi Darkn3ss is QnL,

Your map seems excellent but I was not able to test it, your screen shots tempt and give really envy

Thank you for working on the correction of the problem, I hope sincerely that you will find the error and that you can correct it.