PDA

View Full Version : Proposition about parties in QM

xZPFxBarteq
04-16-2012, 08:43 PM
This is getting annoying, at least in Europe. Probability of getting a match against 4-5 people party in KOTH is around 75% (for the first matchmaking seems like 95%, but maybe I'm just unlucky). It's even worse in Guardian - tonight I bumped into three different parties in a row (then I just shut the Xbox off as I wanted a quick match before going to sleep).

I know people can be in a party and play just for fun - I always stay in the match to check what are the chances. Most of the time there are so minimal it just doesn't make sense to stay.

That being said, I think it would be a good idea to have an option for matchmaking - "Restrict finding matches to max 2/3 people parties" (can't decide if 2 or 3 is better, but I'm leaning towards 2). Before you say it, yes I remember about Stranded KOTH - but it's for only one gametype (obviously) and it doesn't allow 2/3 people parties (which can be fought way easier than 4/5 man teams). And yes, I know I can always quit and find a new match - but as I said earlier, you can just keep bumping into stacked teams. I'd rather be put in a bot match and wait patiently for people to join.

The idea is probably a technical impossibility but I'll gladly hear the opinions.

NFI
04-16-2012, 09:14 PM
This is getting annoying, at least in Europe. Probability of getting a match against 4-5 people party in KOTH is around 75% (for the first matchmaking seems like 95%, but maybe I'm just unlucky). It's even worse in Guardian - tonight I bumped into three different parties in a row (then I just shut the Xbox off as I wanted a quick match before going to sleep).

I know people can be in a party and play just for fun - I always stay in the match to check what are the chances. Most of the time there are so minimal it just doesn't make sense to stay.

That being said, I think it would be a good idea to have an option for matchmaking - "Restrict finding matches to max 2/3 people parties" (can't decide if 2 or 3 is better, but I'm leaning towards 2). Before you say it, yes I remember about Stranded KOTH - but it's for only one gametype (obviously) and it doesn't allow 2/3 people parties (which can be fought way easier than 4/5 man teams). And yes, I know I can always quit and find a new match - but as I said earlier, you can just keep bumping into stacked teams. I'd rather be put in a bot match and wait patiently for people to join.

The idea is probably a technical impossibility but I'll gladly hear the opinions.

This woud create matchmaking times being entirely too long. Quick match aims to find matches, well, as quickly as possible. Doing this would create situations of locating similar parties but then someone still has to be matched up solo in there unless it manages to find 2, two man parties, and 2, 3 man parties, For example . Or 2, two man parties and solo players to round out the odd man team numbers, then t defeats the purpose as some still is in there alone.

Those are entirely too many parameters and it defeats the purpose.

xXSHOTTIEZZXx
04-17-2012, 03:30 PM
the only reason i even play QM is because in ranked all the other team does is camp high side with AR's and I mean I've been in games pretty close to stalemates because of this. Lame.

xZPFxBarteq
04-17-2012, 03:53 PM
This woud create matchmaking times being entirely too long.

It wouldn't be longer than quitting and starting matchmaking all over again three times in a row. That's why I would like to see it as option. It would be up to player if he wants to risk bumping into a party but find match quicker or wait a bit longer and get match free from parties.

Quick match aims to find matches, well, as quickly as possible. Doing this would create situations of locating similar parties but then someone still has to be matched up solo in there unless it manages to find 2, two man parties, and 2, 3 man parties, For example . Or 2, two man parties and solo players to round out the odd man team numbers, then t defeats the purpose as some still is in there alone.

Not sure if I understand you correctly, but I'm not saying that it would search for ONLY 2/3 man parties. I'm saying it would limit the search to MAX 2/3 man parties. So the matchmaking would locate lone players, 2 man parties and 3 man parties. Only 4/5 man parties would be excluded from the search.

Locust BarmyArmy
04-17-2012, 03:56 PM
Only 4/5 man parties would be excluded from the search.

I'm not sure Epic would be too keen on saying 'You have to play this playlist', just because people are with mates. I suspect it won't be very popular.

TAO Devil
04-17-2012, 03:57 PM
And why is that fair? Why should I be forced to exclude two of my friends? And on restricting MM parameters, it would KILL the wait time. I would die of old age before finding a match

xEvOx IStRaFeSI
04-17-2012, 03:59 PM
the problem with qm is that people sit there when they are the only person in there. I dispise being put into a room with one person fighting bots instead of quitting and actually playing versus real people. I don't think you should restrict quick match

1rate
04-17-2012, 04:02 PM
In principle I agree mate,
But I think Epic's solution was Stranded, but yeah, for some reason that playlist is never full :-(

xZPFxBarteq
04-17-2012, 04:08 PM
And why is that fair?

Because decision is up to player. Most people quit when they see a 4/5 man party in QM. Why not let them make this process automatic? It won't really affect 4/5 man parties because they would loose that opponent anyway (as they would quit from the match right away).

Why should I be forced to exclude two of my friends?

Wait, what? Nobody forces you to exclude your friends. You start a 4/5 man party, the option doesn't matter. It'll locate all players who are in 4/5 man parties and players who are in 1/2/3 man parties and did not set that option to be on in their matchmaking.

I'm not sure I'm clear enough in the OP. I'm not speaking about restriction applying for all. I'm speaking about an option which PLAYERS can switch on/off in their game.

TAO Devil
04-17-2012, 04:10 PM
Because decision is up to player. Most people quit when they see a 4/5 man party in QM. Why not let them make this process automatic? It won't really affect 4/5 man parties because they would loose that opponent anyway (as they would quit from the match right away).

Wait, what? Nobody forces you to exclude your friends. You start a 4/5 man party, the option doesn't matter. It'll locate all players who are in 4/5 man parties and players who are in 1/2/3 man parties and did not set that option to be on in their matchmaking.
The point i am trying to make is the MM times. There was more to it than that.

With those playlists it is all or nothing. Epic had to actually create a new playlist to allow people to search solo or in two's.

TeddyJay
04-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Go play on the stranded playlist if you don't want teamwork and teams in a team game.

NFI
04-17-2012, 04:13 PM
It wouldn't be longer than quitting and starting matchmaking all over again three times in a row. That's why I would like to see it as option. It would be up to player if he wants to risk bumping into a party but find match quicker or wait a bit longer and get match free from parties.

it most certainly would take longer. There aren't as many 2-3 man parties as you think. Finding enough to fill a game would take much longer than a standard quick match search given how loose it's parameters are. You would spend a good deal of time searching.

Not sure if I understand you correctly, but I'm not saying that it would search for ONLY 2/3 man parties. I'm saying it would limit the search to MAX 2/3 man parties. So the matchmaking would locate lone players, 2 man parties and 3 man parties. Only 4/5 man parties would be excluded from the search.

Again, this woud simply take too long and defeats the purpose of quick match. You over estimate how many multiple ppl parties there are.

DaRkNeSs
04-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Or we could just have a permanent Stranded or permanent BTTE playlist (I mean like Forces of Nature with Warzone, Execution etc. etc.). Stranded is 1 player parties, BTTE is max 2.

xZPFxBarteq
04-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Go play on the stranded playlist if you don't want teamwork and teams in a team game.

I don't know how you came up to conclusion that I don't want teamwork. Especially that Team Player was my first Onyx and I pretty much get Team Player ribbon every match (all this with randoms). Randoms teamwork usually has no chance against party teamwork. I would play Stranded if I weren't playing with my GF.

it most certainly would take longer. There aren't as many 2-3 man parties as you think. Finding enough to fill a game would take much longer than a standard quick match search given how loose it's parameters are. You would spend a good deal of time searching.

Again, this woud simply take too long and defeats the purpose of quick match. You over estimate how many multiple ppl parties there are.

Well I don't really know how matchmaking is coded (sometimes it just feels like this (http://qkme.me/3ou63t) ;)) so I won't aruge. I agree on 3 man parties which are quite rare, but I constantly bump into 2 man ones.

Or we could just have a permanent Stranded or permanent BTTE playlist (I mean like Forces of Nature with Warzone, Execution etc. etc.). Stranded is 1 player parties, BTTE is max 2.

Same idea, different execution, so I like it.

SoloSwagBiggE
04-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Randoms teamwork usually has no chance against party teamwork.

Still shouldn't be the reasoning behind you slowing down "Quick Match". Random teamwork doesn't work out because people who play this game by themselves or with one person should (if this is such a problem) take the chance on actually communicating with the team.

Team Player was my first Onyx and I pretty much get Team Player ribbon every match

Just because you get a ribbon doesn't make you a team player.Getting a lot of assist points isn't hard.
People can roll in stacked teams with a variety of skill levels. Communicate and find a weak spot in their squad and take advantage. I know some people online act hostile if you try to even talk to them or attack their teammates if something doesn't go their way but you can't expect a win if there isn't any form of communication. Stacked teams are constantly talking to each other which gives off the feel that they have an advantage but if the other team which isn't stacked is willing to communicate with each other with call-outs(i.e. Telling teammates when a weapon is being picked up or an enemy hiding around the corner,etc) effective cover fire and effective cross fire then you can win even if the other team is a party of 4-5.

xZPFxBarteq
04-17-2012, 05:32 PM
Still shouldn't be the reasoning behind you slowing down "Quick Match".

If it wouldn't be a major slow down I would take it for finding better matches. If it would slow it down as significantly as NFI says then yeah, idea is not so good. I'd love to see/read how the matchmaking coding is done to have a better view at it.

Random teamwork doesn't work out because people who play this game by themselves or with one person should (if this is such a problem) take the chance on actually communicating with the team.

It can be a problem in Europe as it's not unusual to connect with people from different countries and, trust me, it can be troublesome to speak English with an, for example, Italian player. Also, some of us live with other people and play when they're asleep. And some people have very light sleep.

Just because you get a ribbon doesn't make you a team player.Getting a lot of assist points isn't hard.

For a lot of randoms I play with it looks like a very hard thing to do :) But yeah I know. Don't really have anything to prove that I play very supportive, so you'll just have to believe me I guess.

People can roll in stacked teams with a variety of skill levels. Communicate and find a weak spot in their squad and take advantage. I know some people online act hostile if you try to even talk to them or attack their teammates if something doesn't go their way but you can't expect a win if there isn't any form of communication. Stacked teams are constantly talking to each other which gives off the feel that they have an advantage but if the other team which isn't stacked is willing to communicate with each other with call-outs(i.e. Telling teammates when a weapon is being picked up or an enemy hiding around the corner,etc) effective cover fire and effective cross fire then you can win even if the other team is a party of 4-5.

Yep, I agree with all of that. That being said it's still not so easy to execute.

SoloSwagBiggE
04-17-2012, 05:46 PM
It can be a problem in Europe as it's not unusual to connect with people from different countries and, trust me, it can be troublesome to speak English with an, for example, Italian player. Also, some of us live with other people and play when they're asleep. And some people have very light sleep.

I see, Wish there was something that could be done to help you and players like you in your current predicament. The proposition that you are proposing though just goes against the whole team gameplay aspect since forming a team to play a team game is going to happen. Maybe there could be another solution or something.

kboo521
04-17-2012, 05:54 PM
If I'm up against a full team it encourages me to do better show that this one man army can do just as much if not more then their team. In koth its a different story but I'm ok with it(though I do play stranded koth cause I noticed I get less bad teammates, though people on the other team also seem not to do as well)

Dranorian
04-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Well I live in Belgium, and it's difficult to find a match in Ranked. Because EU servers are always so empty.
That's the reason why I play QM with my friends, and it's always fun to see another stacked team in QM.
And I don't wanne play Team Deathmatch, because that's the only gametype that has a lot of players in Ranked.

That's the reason why there are so many stacked teams in QM on EU servers.
If Ranked would be fuller I would play Ranked, but it isn't. Btw, I only play Alpha KoTH, that playlist is dead on Ranked.

SINNUR
04-17-2012, 06:25 PM

Stack with me again dude. We'll destroy them :P

Seriously though, I'd support Stranded for all gametypes, but not this. It's far too specific. Epic won't implement something like this, as it would only further divide the playerbase.

TH3 ZomBifiieD
04-17-2012, 07:00 PM

Having the option to either search for any game in a playlist, or search for 3 players or less would be great! It would help stacked teams to play against each other and the loners to not be matched against a bunch of Tryhard full teams when they want to chill out and play casually.

It's too bad Gears doesn't have these parameters unlike alot of other games. We do have Stranded playlist's also? I end up playing that quite often since i don't feel like "shelling out the cash" to replace my Turtle Beach X31's and happening onto stacked teams in QM is lame for "most" people anyway. :o

TH3 ZomBifiieD
04-17-2012, 10:00 PM
As far as this topic, this thread is the most sensible. Basically allow an option for people to search for players in a 3 or less party and take however much longer to search "probably not long at all". Or just search Normal where it allows full parties in QMs.

jame
04-17-2012, 10:06 PM
You want Petenub to completely change the way matchmaking works instead of you playing stranded or taking 3 minutes of your time to find people to play with?
Yeah good luck with that.

The Impatience
04-17-2012, 10:20 PM
It's not just Europe, it's North America too. Not sure how often when comparing though. When I join a lobby of a 5 man stacked team in QM that are essentially just killing bots though, I leave. It's not worth my time.
I'd like the party restrictions too.

xZPFxBarteq
04-18-2012, 05:41 AM
If I'm up against a full team it encourages me to do better show that this one man army can do just as much if not more then their team.

Yeah I know that, I actually had some great matches against full teams. That's why I said in OP that I always stay a bit and check if there are chances of winning. But at least half of the time I see they communicate well, control the power weapons and position themselves in such manner that half of the team is dead before they even get to the ring. That's not fun.

Well I live in Belgium, and it's difficult to find a match in Ranked. Because EU servers are always so empty.
That's the reason why I play QM with my friends, and it's always fun to see another stacked team in QM.
And I don't wanne play Team Deathmatch, because that's the only gametype that has a lot of players in Ranked.

That's the reason why there are so many stacked teams in QM on EU servers.
If Ranked would be fuller I would play Ranked, but it isn't. Btw, I only play Alpha KoTH, that playlist is dead on Ranked.

I know that emptiness of the ranked causes the increase of stacked teams in QM. I understand that. Just wish that game wouldn't throw me into their games so often that's why I came up with the idea.

Stack with me again dude. We'll destroy them :P

Ah, after playing Gears 3 since launch, finally met someone ingame who also visits the forums :D GREAT SUCCESS!

You want Petenub to completely change the way matchmaking works instead of you playing stranded or taking 3 minutes of your time to find people to play with?
Yeah good luck with that.

I already said earlier why I can't play Stranded. It can be 3 minutes, it can be longer. The problem is - it can be frustrating to repeat "search, quit, search, quit" pattern a few times.

As far as this topic, this thread is the most sensible. Basically allow an option for people to search for players in a 3 or less party and take however much longer to search "probably not long at all". Or just search Normal where it allows full parties in QMs.

Yep, that's exactly the idea.

Savvy Noob
04-18-2012, 05:50 AM
i would like to have an option like op said but most of the time i only play koth quick cause noone plays ranked there is always teams of 5 and usually make them quit (because they only play against bots for there k/d ratio) but sometimes you do face a team of 5 who know exactly what they're doing and they're unstoppable

Acidviolet
04-18-2012, 05:56 AM
i would definitely say that there should be a 2-3 player party, but i usually go on "We're All Stranded Now" so its not much of a problem to me, only that not many people go on it