PDA

View Full Version : Alternate control scheme

Clop
04-05-2012, 07:48 PM
I recently started using the alternate control scheme and it great I love it ( No more rolling when trying to snap to cover ), But i wanted to ask a question is it just me or is the range when trying to snap to cover shorter when using alternate scheme. I just want someone to confirm this.

Xplosive86
04-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Yea iv'e tried using it and it does seem like the range is shorter but you can wall bounce faster...

PERF3CTION1ST
04-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Once you get used to the movement I really like it, but I have a hard time adjusting to 5 years worth of habits with normal control scheme.

I think it is shorter

IcyGregorio
04-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Way shorter for sure. I have many of times tried to wall bounce standing maybe a foot away from a wall and my guy at times simply won't wall bounce on the alt controls... But when it's working it's so much better.

look_ma_no_head
04-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Might have to give this ago but shore it will take time getting used to it.
What are the button lay out on the alt one?

prab200
04-05-2012, 09:17 PM
It's not shorter i use alternate but it's a whole new way of bouncing compared to default, to bounce without flaw you have to facing it unlike default where you take cover from an angle so go onto private match in like blood drive and check it out and you will be bouncing faster and it will be more efficient. (tip:to bounce really fast you will need to have a very high sensitivity so you can quickly turn and face the wall to take cover)

B5S4Karnage
04-05-2012, 09:33 PM
I recently started using the alternate control scheme and it great I love it ( No more rolling when trying to snap to cover ), But i wanted to ask a question is it just me or is the range when trying to snap to cover shorter when using alternate scheme. I just want someone to confirm this.
When i first switched to it yes it did feel like the wall grabbing range was shorter but after using it for longer it now feels like you can grab walls from a lot further. I actually tried using default for one game and i couldn't even make it through one round before switching back. I couldn't even grab walls without rolling. Also if you don't already I highly recommend turning omni-evade off.

Insomniac
04-05-2012, 10:00 PM
It seems inconsistent to me. Sometimes I slide from a mile away and other times I'm fairly close, press A, and nothing happens. I can just imagine my teammates watching me think I'm an idiot when it doesn't work.

prab200
04-05-2012, 10:04 PM
It seems inconsistent to me. Sometimes I slide from a mile away and other times I'm fairly close, press A, and nothing happens. I can just imagine my teammates watching me think I'm an idiot when it doesn't work.

that is because you are not facing the wall read what i have posted before

TheRisenOsiris
04-05-2012, 10:17 PM
When i first switched to it yes it did feel like the wall grabbing range was shorter but after using it for longer it now feels like you can grab walls from a lot further. I actually tried using default for one game and i couldn't even make it through one round before switching back. I couldn't even grab walls without rolling. Also if you don't already I highly recommend turning omni-evade off.

What is the benefit of turning omni-evade off?

HounDOOM
04-05-2012, 10:51 PM
What is the benefit of turning omni-evade off?

In a sense it takes away some of the possibility of the game screwing you over, and instead puts it more in your own hands. It goes hand in hand with the whole point behind using the Alt control scheme.

I like it though so I keep it on.

joal0503
04-06-2012, 04:46 AM
i remember seeing arctic's video on the alt scheme awhile ago...heres the problem i have with it.

UNLESS ur using a controller like the Onza with programmable buttons, its kind of pointless to turn a 1 button process into a 2 button (alt). I mean, i guess im biased, i hate the alt simply because i can bounce and have played gears my entire life on default...but it doesnt seem to make sense to complicate the process, and making your thumb do MORE work along with keeping aim on.

now, again if you have an ONZAor something similar that DOES make sense. Because your still keeping your thumbs (movement) free, your simply using the trigger fingers to do the running...that WOULD be interesting to learn, but right now im pretty comfy with the default.

Xplosive86
04-06-2012, 09:09 PM
i remember seeing arctic's video on the alt scheme awhile ago...heres the problem i have with it.

UNLESS ur using a controller like the Onza with programmable buttons, its kind of pointless to turn a 1 button process into a 2 button (alt). I mean, i guess im biased, i hate the alt simply because i can bounce and have played gears my entire life on default...but it doesnt seem to make sense to complicate the process, and making your thumb do MORE work along with keeping aim on.

now, again if you have an ONZAor something similar that DOES make sense. Because your still keeping your thumbs (movement) free, your simply using the trigger fingers to do the running...that WOULD be interesting to learn, but right now im pretty comfy with the default.

I actually just pulled mine out of the box a hour ago switched to alt control scheme and i love it make the scheme so much easier but it is gonna take time to get used to it... and i do use omni directional there are times when i need to dive in a certain angle to make a cover or somewhere im trying to go this is one of the features in Gow3 that i love...

He Bridish
04-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Might have to give this ago but shore it will take time getting used to it.
What are the button lay out on the alt one?

X to Evade/Roadie Run
A to take cover like before
Y to pick up ammo/interact/meatshield
B is the same
RS to execute

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been using the Alt Scheme for a bit now, and it did feel quite inconsistent AT FIRST. What I did to avoid the issue was to mash the A button when trying to take cover/wallbounce, but only like twice for every turn. May as well tap A since you won't roll. I would try it, I have adapted to it and it almost fully negates this issue. :)

Maaaaaz
04-06-2012, 09:20 PM
I used to think the same thing, but it IS the same.

Just sucks trying to get rid of the thought lol.

He Bridish
04-06-2012, 09:23 PM
I used to think the same thing, but it IS the same.

Just sucks trying to get rid of the thought lol.

Does feel like there is one angle which you can't wallbounce from. Seems to be when the camera is centred and you aim the Left Stick about 2 or 10 o clock. Just does nothing sometimes no matter how close I am.

Maaaaaz
04-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Does feel like there is one angle which you can't wallbounce from. Seems to be when the camera is centred and you aim the Left Stick about 2 or 10 o clock. Just does nothing sometimes no matter how close I am.

I can't really comment on whether it works or not, because I'm beginning to suspect my A button is faulty...half the time it no longer works anyway :(

Have you messed around with the omnidirectional evades? Never understood what that was about lol.

MrSpeedyTurtle
04-06-2012, 09:25 PM
I play regular with claw :D. Very rarely mess up and roll.

He Bridish
04-06-2012, 09:27 PM
I can't really comment on whether it works or not, because I'm beginning to suspect my A button is faulty...half the time it no longer works anyway :(

Have you messed around with the omnidirectional evades? Never understood what that was about lol.

It happens to me when I am doing the stuff in the vid in my sig. Click "I can almost do this!"

He Bridish
04-06-2012, 09:28 PM

Would it be better for wallbouncing on alternate? Like timing it and stuff. I forgot how it's meant to be, I could try it tomorrow.

The Impatience
04-06-2012, 11:27 PM
Same here :)

BC SOUL
04-06-2012, 11:34 PM
I got really mad at this random the other day. He had been using this scheme for a couple days , I guess. I get downed, so he runs up to me and tries to revive me but can't because the idiot forgot which button to press. We both get bodied. In addition, he didn't even go positive. That's why never got onto playing with those controls. I know it takes a while to get adjusted, but I'm just going to play the game if its Meant to Be controls.

He Bridish
04-06-2012, 11:36 PM
I got really mad at this random the other day. He had been using this scheme for a couple days , I guess. I get downed, so he runs up to me and tries to revive me but can't because the idiot forgot which button to press. We both get bodied. In addition, he didn't even go positive. That's why never got onto playing with those controls. I know it takes a while to get adjusted, but I'm just going to play the game if its Meant to Be controls.

Best to practice on campaign first. :D

He Bridish
04-06-2012, 11:36 PM
Same here :)

I'm going to try out claw. What exactly do you do?

prab200
04-07-2012, 01:48 AM
your left hand will be the same but your right hand is different, you will have to use your index finger for a,x,y,b and middle finger for rt,rb. so now you will never have to take your thumb off of right analog stick. i hope this helps

Vivica
04-07-2012, 07:26 AM
Once you get used to the movement I really like it, but I have a hard time adjusting to 5 years worth of habits with normal control scheme.

Exactly.
I've tried using it - just couldn't get my head around it.
I tried playing 1v1 against a casual bot and did 10-1 against it.

Unarmored Marcus
07-08-2012, 07:52 PM
Range is shorter because on default, you'd be rolling.