PDA

View Full Version : Scuf controller, what should the paddles be mapped to?

DeceptiveJunk
04-03-2012, 02:27 PM
I'm wanting to buy a scuf controller, but im not sure what I should have the left and right paddles mapped to. Any suggestions?

ArakkAttack
04-03-2012, 02:39 PM
When I had my onza, I had the right one to snap to cover and the left one to roadie run (alternate scheme). Worked well.

DeceptiveJunk
04-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Hmm I dont think the scufs work like that. I think it's just one button per paddle versus different lengths for the button pressed.

They advise having B on the left paddle so you can melee while aiming, but melee is almost nonexistent in gears 3

Neverside
04-04-2012, 09:09 AM
I've been through the Razer Onza and the MLG Madcatz controllers which both failed on me within a month, this will be my next purchase and I'm going to try to the right paddle for "A" and the left paddle for "X", instead of the recommended left paddle as the B button seeing as I hardly even use the melee button.

Brendy Boy
04-04-2012, 10:02 AM
I have a razer onza, but I put a on left paddle so I can wallbounce and shoot at the same time.

Right paddle should probably be X (I use Alt. Control scheme).

BOLTOK
04-04-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm wanting to buy a scuf controller, but im not sure what I should have the left and right paddles mapped to. Any suggestions?

I have a scuff controller and it's great, well made and the toggles feel sturdy.

If I were you I'd get the 'A' button mapped to your good hand (if your right or left handed).

I've mine mapped to my right hand because I'm right handed.

Legacy is God
04-04-2012, 04:25 PM
speaking from personal experience:
MLG controller > Regular no-slow > Razer = SCUF
The razer onza (tournament edition) was great at 1st had the re-mappable shoulder buttons and adjustable tension on the sticks... but a couple weeks down the road the thumbsticks started wearing down and falling apart. The onza would've been a lot better if it was made with more quality parts, my scuf was great... but they have the same problems as the onza the sticks will eventually wear down and the paddles aren't remappable unless you send it in.
The regular no-slow is still the standara (for now) only things wrong is that the sticks will wear down over time. The MLG controller is the best (imo) because its basically a no-slow that you configure to your liking and will never have stick wear down due to the fact that the modules are interchangeable.
(before you say anything about Madcatz making cheap products let me give my testimony and vouche for them right here and now, the old madcatz is gone as has been gone since the release of their tournament fightsticks, their products are made with the best quality parts.)

DeceptiveJunk
04-07-2012, 05:46 AM
Another question, should I order my scuf with two domed analog sticks, or should one be convex and one concave?

Neverside
04-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Another question, should I order my scuf with two domed analog sticks, or should one be convex and one concave?

I just ordered mine a few days ago, I went with the concave left stick and domed right stick, I had this setup with my madcatz mlg controller and loved it

yazman666
04-07-2012, 04:44 PM
hey guys ..i have been searching onlina lately for a controller for gears 3 ...and as per my researchs i can conclude that tue razer onza its a great idea but very poor quality manufacture ...the scurf has al longer life cicle (one more month average) lol...so i think the mad catz fps or mlg is the best bet.....now every one state the great utility of the remapping with tue onza (while it last) and my question is of you can remap the same way with thr mad catz ....it is not gonna be to a sholder trigger but the ones under but if it will do the same for wall-bouncing as the razer....any feedback...appreciate guys....

DeceptiveJunk
04-08-2012, 12:15 AM
I just ordered mine a few days ago, I went with the concave left stick and domed right stick, I had this setup with my madcatz mlg controller and loved it

Let me know if you have the same experience with the scuf

Asphyx1ateD
04-08-2012, 09:28 AM
If you use default I guess A and B would be fine, but I'd say only people on Alternate get the true benefits of macro controllers like these.

I've been debating getting a Scuf, and if I did I'd probably have A/X (I'm on Alt) so I could bounce and shoot independently. I imagine it'd be very weird at first, but probably improve your game so much when you're used to it.

DeceptiveJunk
04-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Yea I'm thinking I definitely want the A button on the right paddle. I'm going to do some hard thinking on the left paddle.

the1nonlyBIMO
04-08-2012, 04:52 PM
I have a scuf elite concave left stick domed right stick left paddle X right paddle A removed rumble packs its a great controller I love it at first it did take some getting used to and I use the alternate control scheme so now I'm working on my wall bounce

DeceptiveJunk
04-08-2012, 06:08 PM
What's the alternate control scheme? And has does removing the rumble packs help?

Neverside
04-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Let me know if you have the same experience with the scuf

I'll keep you posted, it still hasn't shipped yet, as far as the rumble packs go I kept those in because I like the feel of the weight, it's a personal preference.

Here's a video from arctic on the alternate control scheme http://reflectzyn.com/competitive-gaming/2011/12/18/gears-of-war-3-alternate-control-scheme-improve-your-wallbouncing/

DeceptiveJunk
04-09-2012, 10:50 AM
I mean, is the alternate scheme an option in the gears settings menu or is controller dependent?

Neverside
04-09-2012, 11:21 AM
I mean, is the alternate scheme an option in the gears settings menu or is controller dependent?

It's an option in the gears settings menu

scanz
04-10-2012, 08:45 AM
Thinking of getting a scuf controller as well, but can't decide how I'd want the paddels mapped and also how I'd like the sticks. I use alternate scheme, but I can't see any benefit of having X as one of the paddles. You don't aim whilst you're roadie running, you only need to aim when you're snapping to cover/wall. Having it as B to melee would probably also make it usebale with other games, as X is rarely a key button in games, from my experience anyway. From people's suggestions, I'm guessing domed sticks are better and probably more durable? Also why do people feel the need to remove the rumble packs?

scanz
04-12-2012, 03:56 AM
Thinking of getting a scuf controller as well, but can't decide how I'd want the paddels mapped and also how I'd like the sticks. I use alternate scheme, but I can't see any benefit of having X as one of the paddles. You don't aim whilst you're roadie running, you only need to aim when you're snapping to cover/wall. Having it as B to melee would probably also make it usebale with other games, as X is rarely a key button in games, from my experience anyway. From people's suggestions, I'm guessing domed sticks are better and probably more durable? Also why do people feel the need to remove the rumble packs?
Anyone got any more feedback on these controllers and how best to set them up for Gears? Still can't decide myself...

Chobie1Konobie
04-12-2012, 04:58 AM
Anyone got any more feedback on these controllers and how best to set them up for Gears? Still can't decide myself...

i would love to know as well :)

DeceptiveJunk
04-12-2012, 05:01 AM

Read up on it some more, seems best to have a concave left stick and a domed right stick

the1nonlyBIMO
04-12-2012, 05:03 AM

I have a scuf elite n I love it I have right paddle A left paddle X it works for me it takes some getting used too but u get the hang of it I use it so I don't get stuck on walls and have to use A for roadie run n cover

the1nonlyBIMO
04-12-2012, 05:05 AM
Read up on it some more, seems best to have a concave left stick and a domed right stick

Definately do research on it if its not for u don't spend the money n they charge if you want to re program the paddles do choose wisely I'm happy with my set up

the1nonlyBIMO
04-12-2012, 05:08 AM
i would love to know as well :)

Its a great controller only thing is my scuf coating is peeling cuz my hands sweat but they have NEVER slipped I love my set up on my controller its a great all around controller IMO you just got to get used to it really

the1nonlyBIMO
04-12-2012, 05:08 AM
I think you guys would enjoy it I do

DeceptiveJunk
04-12-2012, 05:10 AM
My issue is I'm still not sure what to program as the paddles. Definitely want A mapped to my strong hand(right) but I'm not sure what I want mapped to the other paddle. I almost never melee and it seems a waste to map B just for a chainsaw/retro charge(which,also, I almost never do). X and Y also seems superfluous.

the1nonlyBIMO
04-12-2012, 05:14 AM
I went with X cuz I use alternate controls but if u use X on standard controls it would b to pick up and Y is pick up on alternate controls. But X is roadie run on alternate so u don't have to use A for roadie run n cover

the1nonlyBIMO
04-12-2012, 05:18 AM
Think about it do u melee a lot no chainsaw no retro charge no then B is out A is ur strong hand so that's out X pick up stuff ammo etc do u need that for a paddle no unless u want that but its just picking up weapons really so no I don't remember what Y is on standard controls but only others left are LB RB LT RT and those I don't think u want to mess with those

scanz
04-12-2012, 09:04 AM
My issue is I'm still not sure what to program as the paddles. Definitely want A mapped to my strong hand(right) but I'm not sure what I want mapped to the other paddle. I almost never melee and it seems a waste to map B just for a chainsaw/retro charge(which,also, I almost never do). X and Y also seems superfluous.
This is my issue too. I've decided on left stick concave, right stick domed, right paddle A, but totally undecided on the left paddel. I use alternate scheme, so X would be to roadie run, but you don't aim whilst you're roading running so is there much need in setting it to the paddle? Y would be to pick up weapons, could be more convenient than moving my thumb off the stick. B to melee seems like a waste though. Never melee and very rarely chainsaw.

Neverside
04-14-2012, 05:30 PM
So I got my scuf controller yesterday, I've set up the sweet spot on my hair triggers and am loving the right dome stick but to be honest I don't think I'm going to even use the paddles. I've tried using the paddles to both run and wall bounce without using the A button and again to use the A button for running and the paddle to wall bounce but I just don't like it, it's too foreign of a feeling. That might change down the road but with the dome stick I feel like the flick/roll right thumb movement after using the wall bounce works better for me than having my fingers on the joysticks at all time.

BigDaddyDangleDown
04-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Anybody have a new SCUF controller or SCUF service for old controllers? How is it? And the most important question for me: how has it held up the test of time? I don't want to pay that much for some crap that'll fall apart as soon as I turn on the xbox like the razer onza. Has it last a while or start having problems after a couple months?

scanz
04-17-2012, 06:23 AM
Mine is on the way and I went for the following; Left stick concave, right stick domed, left paddle X, right paddle A, trigger stoppers and rumble pack removed. Looking forward to seeing how it plays.

In regards to your question about durability BigDaddyDangleDown, these are just official Xbox 360 controllers modded and I believe actually made more durable with their additions/tweaks. So they're much better quality than the Razer Onza, which is quite appalling to be honest!

DeceptiveJunk
05-30-2012, 01:51 AM
Anyone have anymore insights on the scuf? I should be buying one soon.

Is the scuf grip worth it? What about buying the case?

Spectacular
06-12-2012, 03:36 PM
waste of money for a small advantage. controller probably works best with cod but gow not so much.

MikeSnickers
06-12-2012, 06:01 PM
Put it on alternate and set the wallbounce button to it maybe

MikeSnickers
06-12-2012, 06:04 PM
put it on alternate and make the paddle button the wallbounce button maybe