PDA

View Full Version : How do I open the .raw files when I export my landscape's layers from UDK?

AutoBotAM
01-20-2012, 11:48 PM
Over all I want to be able to edit my UDK landscapes in an image editing suite, so I figured exporting all the layers as .raw might be the solution. Unfortunately when I attempt to open these files in Paint Shop Pro X2, I'm given a plethora of options, and afterwards seem to always get some sort of striped image with lots of noise.

Here are the properties of the landscape I'm trying to export:

Landscape Component Count: 64
Collision Component Count: 64
Component Quad Count: 126
Subsection Quad Count: 63

And here are the import options I'm presented with upon opening the .raw file:

Image size: Width; Height.
Color channels: Single channel (greyscale); Three channel (RGB); Three channel (CMY); Four channel (CMYK).
File structure: Header size (in bytes); Planar (RRR GGG...); Interleaved (RGB RGB...); Order RGB; Order BGR; Flipped (bottom up).

My best bet is that I'm using the wrong import settings and thus screwing up the resulting image. Does anybody know of the nature of UDK's .raw files? If so how should I go about opening them?

Hope you guys can help me out on this one, thanks.

Shez
01-21-2012, 03:45 AM
Hi,

Without being condesending you seriously need to go through this thoroughly:
http://www.udk.com/documentation
For a start your landscape properties have nothing to do with your .raw aside from the resolution of the heightmap.
But for the record when importing RAW files into Photoshop for example make sure your image resolution is correct eg 2017, 4033, etc and that you have it set to MAC or Intel and header set to 1. But in all honesty you need to go through all the documentation and do all and any tutorials you come across. Once you do this, even if it takes a very very long time, weeks, months even, you will then be more fluent in the UDK.
The community here is unbelievably helpful and generally there is nothing you cannot find out about the UDK, However, be warned that if you try and run before you can walk without making any effort to help yourself first you will get a very cold response if any.
Good luck with it all.

Lexluthor1
01-21-2012, 03:47 AM
Hi,

Without being condesending you seriously need to go through this thoroughly:
http://www.udk.com/documentation
For a start your landscape properties have nothing to do with your .raw aside from the resolution of the heightmap.
But for the record when importing RAW files into Photoshop for example make sure your image resolution is correct eg 2017, 4033, etc and that you have it set to MAC or Intel and header set to 1. But in all honesty you need to go through all the documentation and do all and any tutorials you come across. Once you do this, even if it takes a very very long time, weeks, months even, you will then be more fluent in the UDK.
The community here is unbelievably helpful and generally there is nothing you cannot find out about the UDK, However, be warned that if you try and run before you can walk without making any effort to help yourself first you will get a very cold response if any.
Good luck with it all.

I couldn't have said it better myself ... :)

AutoBotAM
01-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Well I did find this: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LandscapeCreating.html#Importing a Heightmap and Layers. This seems relevant enough and I may be able to import the files correctly now. Sorry for posting too soon, I should have looked through the docs more carefully.

Shez
01-21-2012, 05:40 PM
Thank Lex....and just so you know we have downloaded and watch your ENTIRE video tutorial set and they are UNBELIEVABLE and they are BRILLIANTLY Fantastic!!!!! Keep that good work up!!!!

Lexluthor1
01-21-2012, 06:46 PM
Thank Lex....and just so you know we have downloaded and watch your ENTIRE video tutorial set and they are UNBELIEVABLE and they are BRILLIANTLY Fantastic!!!!! Keep that good work up!!!!

Thanks....
That must be some collection, although YouTube streams them in MP4 I think ...
The original HD versions amount to 96 gig at my end ...