PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial Anti-SOS Tips and Tricks Thread (with TL;DR)

Awkward Silence
09-25-2011, 01:08 PM
Hey everybody,

Though I'm new to this forum in terms of posts, I have spent some time reading a lot of threads here, and the general sense I get is that a TON of people HATE the Sawed-Off Shotgun, but when people complain about it, they only get 2 different kinds of responses.

1) The "I agree totally, it sux," or "I feel you bro, but there's nothing we can do," response,
-OR-
2) The "You just suck," or "There are plenty of ways to counter it if you're just good enough, and you use strategies that I oh-so-conveniently won't name here," response.

I'd like to change that.

While it seems a little unreasonable to demand that Epic completely remove a weapon from the game that they've spent many months and dollars designing, testing, and tweaking, I think we CAN, however, come together and post suggestions and strategies for defeating SOS-users here. That way, we can at least help each other out and do something productive rather than simply tell people getting pwned that "they just suck." So please, if you come across something that works, or you yourself use the Sawed-Off and observe how some people still kill you, post about it here. I'll do my best to keep this post updated with your contributions, unless they're ridiculous, of course. Lastly, please try to explain your strategy in BRIEF detail, as well. Don't just say something like, "Oh, I use the Hammerburst against them, it's great!" That's a good start, but tell us HOW you use it, do you sneak around, do you get up close and roll back just before they fire, etc. You don't have to write an essay, but a couple of sentences would be nice. Thanks, and I hope this thread can become a good resource for the SOS-afflicted.

TL;DR: Help people out, post any and all successful tips/strategies you've used/seen for defeating SOSs here.

CURRENT STRATEGIES:

Retro Lancer:
As far as I can tell, this weapon, more than anything else, seems best-suited to killing SOS-users, as it works best at short and very short range, the exact gap that SOS-users have to close in order to explode you into itty bitty pissed-off pieces. DO NOT try to bayonet charge them. The Sawed-Off is designed to counter exactly that, so if you do manage to pull off a kill, it'll only be because the guy was an idiot or not paying attention.

1) Try to goad SOS-users out of cover, then spray them down. Many of these guys are impatient, so be annoying by taking cover on something a few feet in front of them, and quite often, they'll attempt to pop out of cover and rush you, which is your opportunity to mow them down. This is especially effective in gametypes like KOTH, where there places on the map where people HAVE to be, so you can set yourself up on choke points where they'll have to break cover in order to win.

Lancer:
Seems to be a Jack-of-all-Trades, but Master of None-type of weapon. Best if you can get a sizable perfect Active Reload before engaging the SOS-user.

1) If you see a SOS-user camping in cover, try to maneuver yourself around the edge of it, while staying a few feet back. Specifically, try to get that angle on him (or her now,) where you can shoot their shoulders and hips while they're in cover. This should force them to move, and hopefully you can down them once they're in the open.

Hammerburst:

1)
Don't go rushing into someone unless you can get the kill. Be patient. If you are using lancer or hammerburst, best to keep your distance and take shots when you can. You can also provide a good distraction and support your teammates with these weapons. The only time you should get close to a sawed-off user with a lancer is if you have the chainsaw ready and they're not.

Gnasher:

1) Try to goad them into wasting a shot on you by getting pretty close and firing a shot or two. Then roll away as fast as you can and hopefully, they'll be left vulnerable. This is pretty risky, though, so you may want to bring a friend to help you take the guy down.

2)
When you see a confirmed DB user who is currently rushing you. Try your best to get them to evade. It doesn't really matter to where. Usually one shot can make them evade towards you. If your on your game that is exactly what you want. When they roll towards you, they canot fire during the roll obviously use the omnidirectional evade and get past them for an oldschool turn around. Or if your like me and suck at doing that. Close the gap and hope your 2nd shot downs them DURING their roll. Ive managed to do this a few times with varying results but its seems to be the best I can do with the Gnasher.

3)
I notice when you're approaching someone with a SOS in cover from the right distance, they'll try to flip sideways towards you and shoot you before you get a chance. I've learned to keep that distance (about 8 virtual feet) so they feel brave enough to try flipping towards me and give me enough time to aim low and neutralize them with a shotgun.

Also, I try to constantly keep getting perfect active reloads. I can't even number the amount of times I've gotten the Quick Clips ribbon and how 2 active shotgun shells Or about 15% perfect actives on my rifles can help. These are really important elements to stopping shotgun rushes. Just last night I was rushed by 4 people 1 by 1, and each of them died because of my Gnasher when they all had sawed-offs. Ended up dying by someone retro charging, but it goes to show SOS's aren't a problem, it's the tactics we use with/against them.

4)
Don't attempt to go for a gib with the Gnasher against and Sawed-off user, use the Gnasher's range to your advantage. Also, keep your cool, and don't go for revenge kills. Most of the complaints about the SoS that I've read seem to just be people raging because they haven't properly adapted to counter the sawed-off.

5)
Well i use the sawn off (with pride) and since SO many people complain, i will tell you the best way someone killed me with the trusty gnasher. He would fire once, roll back, fire again roll back. And if i went behind something he would just be extremely careful or throw a smoke.

Smoke Grenade:

1)
This disables their ability to fire for about a second. Throw it at an intermediate range and Gnasher rush them. Ive only had this work twice but it apparently caught them offguard as their blindfire was unuseable and my down shot with the gnasher spelled victory. The biggest drawback here is you have to wait to pull out your Gnasher (or SoS) and that timing can be very tricky to impossible and is especially dependant on the spacing. I would consider this a last ditch effort.

Spotting:

1)
Spotting can be a HUGE help for taking down sawed off users. Sometimes aiming, spotting and rolling back to bait them gets another gun or two on them. It never hurts to let people know of positions in the first place, but I've been decently successful at being the red flag for the bull to charge while others take them down, as it were. I play pretty much nothing but KOTH, so spotting has been the number one thing for me, as even if I die, I usually see bullets on the guy that did it.

Any other weapon:
Nothing yet!

iFail
09-25-2011, 01:10 PM
Every time I see people refer to it as the SOS I immediately think of youtube poops...

Anyway, people won't read the OP's advice, even though he / she offers good advice that actually works. The hatred is too deeply rooted unfortunately.

KaliniuS
09-25-2011, 01:19 PM
I approve of this thread. It's positive and constructive. As far as strategies go, you should be fine if you stick with the basics. Don't go rushing into someone unless you can get the kill. Be patient. If you are using lancer or hammerburst, best to keep your distance and take shots when you can. You can also provide a good distraction and support your teammates with these weapons. The only time you should get close to a sawed-off user with a lancer is if you have the chainsaw ready and they're not.

Maker
09-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Something I've done a few times but by no means have mastered.

Gnasher: When you see a confirmed DB user who is currently rushing you. Try your best to get them to evade. It doesn't really matter to where. Usually one shot can make them evade towards you. If your on your game that is exactly what you want. When they roll towards you, they canot fire during the roll obviously use the omnidirectional evade and get past them for an oldschool turn around. Or if your like me and suck at doing that. Close the gap and hope your 2nd shot downs them DURING their roll. Ive managed to do this a few times with varying results but its seems to be the best I can do with the Gnasher

Retro Lancer: Obviously this things effective range is perfectly countered to the SoS. The best results Ive had are beginning to poke with it to initiate a rush then when you feel them closing take a bead and fire center of mass. Do NOT let go of the trigger. As they rush the recticle bloom will follow their size fairly well and they will eat a great portion of the bullets your placing downrang. Part two and this is important. if they evade to the side / towards you (omnidirectional stuff) you have to make a judgement call when you see the direction they are rolling. If you cant hold a good bead. You need to break the attack off and evade yourself. Obviously away from where their roll will land them. Resume your attack.

There is an interesting ordeal you can come into contact with while doing this. About half the time i run into this situation I imediately reload my retro. Dont, it has enough ammo to down someone if your shooting good in the first place. If you run across a retro guy immediately perfect active to give yourself the best advantage possible.

Smoke grenade: This disables their ability to fire for about a second. Throw it at an intermediate range and Gnasher rush them. Ive only had this work twice but it apparently caught them offguard as their blindfire was unuseable and my down shot with the gnasher spelled victory. The biggest drawback here is you have to wait to pull out your Gnasher (or SoS) and that timing can be very tricky to impossible and is especially dependant on the spacing. I would consider this a last ditch effort.

GnasherOfDISASTER
09-25-2011, 01:26 PM
when i see a team of sawed offs i usually back out il take the match penalty i don't care.

Awkward Silence
09-25-2011, 01:43 PM
when i see a team of sawed offs i usually back out il take the match penalty i don't care. That's a little depressing. Hopefully you can check back here in a few days and there will be something that can help you. You shouldn't be forced to quit like that.

the_suicide_fox
09-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Rev chainsaw, walk backwards. If you are at full health an SoS user cannot kill you from the front, they will get chainsawed. I call it the "woah buddy" technique, because you stand there and everytime they move closer you back up with a revved saw and say "woah buddy". LOL You might take damage though, so be sure you are healed before you attempt this. Also be ready for them to switch weapons to shoot you from afar, at which point you drop the saw and unload on them.

GnasherOfDISASTER
09-25-2011, 01:52 PM
that's why until they remove it or make a classic game mode i will not play TDM because that's all it is right now. At least playing Warzone or execution the sawed off is less frequent.

DarthMufasa
09-25-2011, 01:53 PM
If you agree with this video, PLEASE POST IT EVERYWHERE YOU CAN ON THE GEARS OF WAR MULTIPLAYER FORUM. Here's a link to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLzJNkM6CLM

goober0331
09-25-2011, 01:54 PM
that's why until they remove it or make a classic game mode i will not play TDM because that's all it is right now. At least playing Warzone or execution the sawed off is less frequent.

I actually havent seen alot of DBS in TDM. Its been more frequent in KoTH where the circles are all extreme CQC situations where the DBS shines.

GnasherOfDISASTER
09-25-2011, 02:03 PM
True king of the hill the sawed off is everywhere. Which sucks because that used to be my favorite game mode, but the sawed off ruins it.

BigPapaMondo
09-25-2011, 02:12 PM
I notice when you're approaching someone with a SOS in cover from the right distance, they'll try to flip sideways towards you and shoot you before you get a chance. I've learned to keep that distance (about 8 virtual feet) so they feel brave enough to try flipping towards me and give me enough time to aim low and neutralize them with a shotgun.

Also, I try to constantly keep getting perfect active reloads. I can't even number the amount of times I've gotten the Quick Clips ribbon and how 2 active shotgun shells Or about 15% perfect actives on my rifles can help. These are really important elements to stopping shotgun rushes. Just last night I was rushed by 4 people 1 by 1, and each of them died because of my Gnasher when they all had sawed-offs. Ended up dying by someone retro charging, but it goes to show SOS's aren't a problem, it's the tactics we use with/against them.

tanzfete
09-25-2011, 02:33 PM
One trick I use against Sawed-off users who are behind cover is to roadie run toward the person then roll backwards to try to get them to waste their shot. This works with new players usually, but I wouldn't recommend using it against an experienced player.

Also, don't attempt to go for a gib with the Gnasher against and Sawed-off user, use the Gnasher's range to your advantage.

And with regards to King of the Hill, yeah the Sawed-off can be annoying in this mode but I would say the best counter is to roll with at least 1 or 2 friends and let each other know what direction enemies are rushing from. Hills are usually in open areas so Sawed-off users can usually be down before they get to you.

My final piece of advice is to keep your cool, and don't go for revenge kills. Most of the complaints about the SoS that I've read seem to just be people raging because they haven't properly adapted to counter the sawed-off. And trust me, I've raged at games before, but now I almost never rage, and I've improved my game because of it. If you do start to get angry, take a break.

Awkward Silence
09-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Keep the tips coming guys, this is great. :) But please don't use this thread to complain about how the sawed-off sucks, let's just keep it to constructive discussion on how to adapt to it. Like it or not, the sawed-off is here to stay. Even if they add a classic playlist, it will likely still be present everywhere else. Don't waste your time raging, just adapt and survive. (And pwn.)

Broomhandle45
09-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Here's something I don't think I've seen, spotting. Spotting can be HUGE help for taking down sawn off users. Sometimes aiming, spotting and rolling back to bait them gets another gun or two on them. It never hurts to let people know of positions in the first place, but I've been decently successful in being the red flag for the bull to charge while others take them down, as it were. I play pretty much nothing but KOTH, so spotting has been a number one thing for me, even if I die, I usually see bullets on the guy that did it.

GnasherOfDISASTER
09-25-2011, 04:31 PM
I have a Tendency when I am playing bad to not be patient and not use cover to my advantage. When I die a few times i have the urge to avenge my death and try to rape the whole team......which never works by the way lol

you can tell a SOSer because they will charge right at you and go for the kill. I love the lancer in this game because if you can get an angle on a camping SOSer. he will go down because the Lancer is damn accurate and powerful.

redneckbanana
09-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Well i use the sawn off (with pride) and since SO many people complain, i will tell you the best way someone killed me with the trusty gnasher.

Pretty much i play this game like i had a gnasher ( dont corner camp unless EXTREMELY necessary) but with the sawn off... But there aren't many of us unfortunatly.

But anyway he would fire once, roll back, fire again roll back. And if i went behind something he would just be extremely careful or throw a smoke.

revitup360
09-25-2011, 05:30 PM
I love blasting their face off with a gnasher or boltok when their diving towards me. So funny

Awkward Silence
09-25-2011, 06:11 PM
Here's something I don't think I've seen, spotting. Spotting can be HUGE help for taking down sawn off users. Sometimes aiming, spotting and rolling back to bait them gets another gun or two on them. It never hurts to let people know of positions in the first place, but I've been decently successful in being the red flag for the bull to charge while others take them down, as it were. I play pretty much nothing but KOTH, so spotting has been a number one thing for me, even if I die, I usually see bullets on the guy that did it. Excellent tip, thank you!

AnthonyLucas86
09-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Incendiary nades and inks serve me well against SOS users.

That is all.

Humandirty
09-25-2011, 06:31 PM
good advice, all things ive been doing but yet still makes game boring because people camping with dbs

Awkward Silence
09-26-2011, 12:31 AM
It's not fun to screw up them up?

Mr PresidentX
09-26-2011, 12:47 AM
Always check to see what gun your enemy is holding. It seems obvious but never assume they have a gnasher.