PDA

View Full Version : Free weapon 3D models

merc-ai
08-04-2011, 08:45 AM
Hi guys,
I am releasing three of my old weapon models for free. All three are low-poly (less than 3k triangles) and have baked normal maps (with two having placeholder diffuse textures as well). Please note that models were not done with UDK in mind, so might need additional tweaking to get them ready.

You are free to modify and/or reuse these models in any way except for selling them on 3d stock sites.

Pictures below show low-poly models (which are included) on the right side, and high-poly models (which are not included) on the left side.

XM8
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/mercenaryai/XM8_view.jpg

HK USP .45
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/mercenaryai/usp_view.jpg

MP5
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/mercenaryai/mp5_view.jpg

You can download these weapon models in *.obj /*.tga in three separate archives, available on mediafire:
http://www.mediafire.com/?0lavs9660zz2b

Special thank you to Bob_Gneu for providing hosting space (but I could not figure out how to build a site, haha:rolleyes:, so went for mediafire).

staticvoidlol
08-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Thanks!
I've had a look at the USP - looks very nice: textures laid out well and model is low poly (1500 tris).

shuriken88
08-06-2011, 12:59 AM
Sick weapons mate! I've seen the XM8 in "Future Weapons"! That guy loves his guns, and blowing stuff the hell up!

TheAgent
08-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Cool models, but I hate the XM8 it's basically plastic and looks like a toy. I don't see many LMG models around here hehe.

SJS2010
08-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Oh come on Agent, wouldn't you have loved to have a gun that looked like that back when you was a kid, even if it was a toy?

It's really cool of you to just give them away for free. Why not sell them on Turbosquid?

Oh and I haven't forgot about hiring you Merc-ai, I'm waiting on my building modeler to let me know how much I owe him. After I pay him, I'll let you know if I'll be able to commission this month.

Have a good one.

merc-ai
08-06-2011, 03:05 PM
SJS2010
Thanks for heads up, mate.
Regarding selling them, it was suggested to me several times, but somehow I'm not feeling good about the whole "sell one model many times" thing. Besides, after all the help I have received from UDK community, I feel like I should do at least something to enrich it.

Kuda
08-07-2011, 12:08 AM
thank you so much merc-ai!

But, it there anyway to get the texture for the XM8 down to 1024X1024?

-

TheAgent
08-07-2011, 12:15 AM
Oh come on Agent, wouldn't you have loved to have a gun that looked like that back when you was a kid, even if it was a toy?

It's really cool of you to just give them away for free. Why not sell them on Turbosquid?

Oh and I haven't forgot about hiring you Merc-ai, I'm waiting on my building modeler to let me know how much I owe him. After I pay him, I'll let you know if I'll be able to commission this month.

Have a good one.

Fine fine you are right on that part : ]

merc-ai
08-07-2011, 05:16 AM
thank you so much merc-ai!
But, it there anyway to get the texture for the XM8 down to 1024X1024?
-

You're welcome :)
You can resize the texture in Photoshop (Image->Image Size). As the texture is power of two, it should not impact quality much.

slider602
08-07-2011, 03:02 PM
they are awsome you should created more of these:)
thanks

shuriken88
08-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Why not sell them on Turbosquid?

Because he's too cool/generous to do something like that, or maybe because its about more than just charging people for stuff. "sharing is caring"!

I think more people should be willing to put SOME of their stuff up for free, in terms of UDK (although I make my own models now, so I dont need other peoples stuff), because its not like it really cost THEM anything to make (it doesn't cost me to make models anyway lol). Once I have a good collection, I'll definitely look into releasing some for free, so peeps have a lot more to mess about with.

Keep it up mate, people that dont have access to, or skill with 3D modelling programs will love the hell out of you, and thats a BIG demographic!!

merc-ai
08-08-2011, 05:23 PM
shuriken88, thanks for the support and kind words!
I'll try to release some other old models if I get permissions (though it's not very likely tbh).

However I would like to address one common misconception that you have touched that is encountered often in indie game development. It is about development costs (or whatever the proper economic term is).

Creating stuff - whether we are talking about art assets, code for game or something else - takes time. It is time that could be spend on, say, outsourcing your skills to highest bidder (so we actually have classic time=money equation), or working on personal project (we all know how much time is required even for small games), or just spent with loved ones.
So while releasing for free some of older models, like I did, costs little time and is a great way to help community a bit, creating any content solely for purpose of free distribution still has costs that should be kept in mind.

Sorry for off-topic, I just felt like this particular thing should be addressed.

eldraco
08-09-2011, 12:57 AM
wow really nice work on these!

Bern
08-09-2011, 01:25 PM
Wow, thank you merc-ai! I'll get a nice quickstart using your mp5 as a base for own hipoly:)

frostymoss
08-21-2011, 04:04 AM
:D thanks. I'll let you know if I end up using them for anything.

marf
08-23-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks a lot, I try these models to test my weapon scripts.

ironbelly
09-04-2011, 12:35 PM
1500 tris? Great work on that, and thanks for giving them away to the community

aZzy
11-01-2011, 07:28 AM
Ah they are down =P

Fi5h1fishy
08-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Looks very good, i will make sure to check this out now, im going to download it, thanks for sharing it with us!