PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Wings!!! (My Story to level 100 included)

Saxophone18
04-16-2011, 11:05 PM
I know that it is not as much of a accomplishment as it used to be because of all the XP events, but I just had to post it. Obtaining my "Veteran Gear" is a big milestone in my gaming career because Gears of War 2 is now the first official game I have achieved the max rank in. I have never achieved the highest rank in any video game EVER, so this is a big deal to me.

Here's a photo just for fun:
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab56/Saxguitar/GEDC1339.jpg?t=1303009406

I just wanted to post this thread to say thanks, thanks to Epic for making Gears of War 2, thanks to Rod Fergusson for the Fitness XP event (I got a bulk of my leveling out of the way during that), thanks to the people who helped get #Gears3Beta trending on twitter and thanks to these forums for keeping me focused on Gears.

You don't need to read further but if you would like to hear about my journey to level 100 here it is:

I first picked up Gears of War 2 during Christmas break in 2008 when I was given it as a gift, at the time I did not have XBL so I played scrimming against bots, for a about half a year I scrimmed with bots and at the time I thought I was pretty good (lol). Over the course of that time I played pretty religiously about two hours a day and had the Party Like it is 1999 achievement in no time on multiple accounts.

In May 2009 after a long decision I convinced my parents to upgrade from dial up internet service to a high speed connection. I quickly made a online account and went online only to find matches full of crazy lag and people much better than I, at that point I put Gears down and vowed never to come back again (I know I am stupid for that). Then one day sitting in a History course at college a kid I was sitting next to was talking about how he couldn't wait for the Gearsmas event (2009), he just started talking about it from nowhere (it was like a intervention), eager to give the game another chance I decided I would play and draw one more conclusion before I considered trading it in.

I got online to find everyone had Gold Guns, I thought sweet Epic has given everyone free Gold Guns that is awesome, well as the week ended I found out that was not exactly true, so I came here. While I was looking around I found out more about this game and all the amazing things Epic was doing for the community, I found out about how Flak gave away DLC codes, and how Joe Graf banned people for glitching, and I realized this is one company that knew how to keep dedicated fans dedicated. Well I tried endlessly to get a Gold Gun from Flak and like everyone else I was always one second to late. As the joy seemed to quickly wear off by the fact that I was getting massacred I went back to playing Halo 3 and COD4, at the time I think I was like a level 55 or something like that.

Well time progressed and one day I decided once again Gears deserves another chance, I quickly tried to fire up my disc only to find that my disc tray would not read the thing, only to find out a few months later that my disc drive on my Xbox was actually going bad. As I sent in my Xbox the Thanksgiving 2010(Thanksgibbing?) event was going on, I figured great there is my last chance to get my wings. I didn't get to play at all, the one time I really was ready to get serious about my rank and my Xbox was in Texas while I was in Michigan.

But luck was on my side, Flak posted some Golden Gun codes and once again I was a second to late, then I read some random post and another twitter user I didn't know randomly PM'ed me a code for a Golden Hammerburst (Needless to say I was tripping balls I was so happy), someone I didn't know just gave me a free Gold Hammerburst. But then disaster struck, Comcast's servers went down as I was trying to enter in the code and I was without internet for a whole week. Fearing I would lose my chance at a Gold Gun I was frantic to get internet back, luckily he held the code for me and the day my Xbox got back from Texas, I unloaded it and immediately downloaded the code.

From that point on I swore I would play at least a game a day to slowly creep to my level 100, this was a very slow pace, which only got me to about level 60-70 (can't exactly remember). Playing a little more I got to level 76 by the time Rod's fitness event rolled around. With my Gold Hammerburst I was ready I told myself I didn't care if I didn't sleep I was getting my level 90 by the end of the event, well luck was on my side and I got to level 97, far above my expectations.

As the Gears 3 Beta was rolling around I am eagerly awaiting the 18th so I can get in, and then I saw the post to get the #Gears3Beta trending, I had all my friends and family work hard to get it to trend, success. I started up Gears 2 and played as hard as I could to get my level 100 before I got to the Beta. Then today at about 1:35 pm EST I was playing Guardian on Blood Drive, sadly I was not playing that good so I only scored 900 points, but it was enough I saw "Veteran Gear Achievement Unlocked" and saw my Wings. I got up jumped because this was it, I had made it.

Finally I have arrived and I can now fly. I then joined a game of Execution on Jacinto where I went 5-0 with 2 downs and 3 revives. Redeeming myself for the terrible game I had where I earned my 100. ;)

Thanks for reading, if you read this far, this is a very condensed version of my story. The funny thing is that the Website doesn't even reflect that I have played so I can't tell you how much in game time I have spent:p

XxGREENYxX
04-17-2011, 12:01 AM
Good read, you had quite the journey lol. I only play Annex 90% of the time, so I figured that I really would never get 100. Then the first 20exp event or something my friend who I grateful for played wingman with me for like lvl 82 to 100 in like 2 and a half days. We hated the game after that. (Too much BS can happen in that amount of time of consecutive playing lol) But of course, you always come back.

GiddyupHorsie
04-17-2011, 12:50 AM
Congrats on reaching 100. :) Have you played horde yet? You re-get the achievement every single round! :D

Torque Tag
04-17-2011, 04:13 AM
Nice! Gears 2 was also the first game i achieved max rank in multiplayer also =)

B100D HUNGRY
04-17-2011, 04:42 AM
Congrats, man. I really like the whole "make sure to play at least a game a day". I think I'm going to try to start doing that. Then I can at least be slowly moving up.

T00BSAWK
04-17-2011, 06:31 AM
Congratz man. I rememner when I got my Wings back in June. I've yet to feel a feeling that felt as good as that.

ThunderCrush
04-17-2011, 08:45 AM
OP,
nice story. Had lots of obstacles to go through but you did it!

Saxophone18
04-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the responses, I am still in aw of how beautiful the wings are everytime I load up Gears 2. :o I just never thought I would get to see them.

Thanks again to all of Epic staff for the great game that is Gears of War 2 and the love and care Epic puts into each and every one of its games, can't wait to play the beta tomorrow. :)

T00BSAWK
04-18-2011, 01:31 AM
Thanks for the responses, I am still in aw of how beautiful the wings are everytime I load up Gears 2. :o I just never thought I would get to see them.

Thanks again to all of Epic staff for the great game that is Gears of War 2 and the love and care Epic puts into each and every one of its games, can't wait to play the beta tomorrow. :)

Man, even I'm still in aw at the Wings. :p

SiK_GAMER
04-18-2011, 01:48 AM
good job man...
im only at level 51, but its also because i let my brother borrow my disc about year ago,
and he just now returned it. So im about to hop back on, perfect timing too cause im
on spring break from my classes!!

Wooooo!! XD

Tesco Jeans
04-18-2011, 02:14 AM
That was an enjoyable read, nice story and congrats on your wings! :)

ALIENWAR3
04-18-2011, 04:42 AM
Fair play, and of course it's an accomplishment, XP events or not, you did it and congrats, I only managed to get from 75 to 81 over the weekend, but several steps closer. :p

iLLuZioNz eXe
04-18-2011, 05:15 AM
Indeed a very nice story to read and congrats.
Almost the same as Alienwar3 went from 78 to 85, but reached 1,3 Guardian KD last night ;D.

capon3
04-18-2011, 05:22 AM
I went from 69 to 96. I just stopped playing right now to download the beta. I think I'll try a few rounds and go to sleep as it's 2:30 here.

lankymart
04-18-2011, 06:37 AM
I went from 69 to 96. I just stopped playing right now to download the beta. I think I'll try a few rounds and go to sleep as it's 2:30 here.

I went from 83 - 92, what mode were you playing? :eek:

I must have spent at least 12 hours+ playing gears over the weekend and still couldn't get to 100. Personally the 18x XP was a joke should have had 30x XP at least like was promised for the game battles voting.

ALIENWAR3
04-18-2011, 09:39 AM
I went from 83 - 92, what mode were you playing? :eek:

I must have spent at least 12 hours+ playing gears over the weekend and still couldn't get to 100. Personally the 18x XP was a joke should have had 30x XP at least like was promised for the game battles voting.

i think myself and many others agree also. :)

boabbyrab
04-18-2011, 09:56 AM
not got my wings yet, but remember first time i played online, playing warzone against the locusts on the map with the hole in the middle of the ground (can never remember map names) so hung back a bit to see what was happening and BANG, brains splattered all over the box i was strategically planning (hiding really) my next move from.
coming from trying to play COD to this and wondering, no kill cam, how did i die.
so next life, see a locust up on the upper level and unleashed bullet after bullet and nothing happend apart from getting chainsawed from behind. got a message from a team mate about how bad i was and took the disc out and put it away for 2 months until the tick, tick boom event and played horde, after getting up to rank 18 when the event finished thought i would try warzone again and this time i was the locust, so thinking yeah these guys are rock hard so gonna kill me some humans and... got me ass kicked again, but like Robert the Bruce i tried, tried and tried again until, well still crap but a better crap.
next event i will get my wings.

Saxophone18
04-18-2011, 10:01 AM
not got my wings yet, but remember first time i played online, playing warzone against the locusts on the map with the hole in the middle of the ground (can never remember map names) so hung back a bit to see what was happening and BANG, brains splattered all over the box i was strategically planning (hiding really) my next move from.
coming from trying to play COD to this and wondering, no kill cam, how did i die.
so next life, see a locust up on the upper level and unleashed bullet after bullet and nothing happend apart from getting chainsawed from behind. got a message from a team mate about how bad i was and took the disc out and put it away for 2 months until the tick, tick boom event and played horde, after getting up to rank 18 when the event finished thought i would try warzone again and this time i was the locust, so thinking yeah these guys are rock hard so gonna kill me some humans and... got me ass kicked again, but like Robert the Bruce i tried, tried and tried again until, well still crap but a better crap.
next event i will get my wings.

lol, I hate playing on Day One (the map which you are talking about) the freaking hammer od dawn always gets me, and it is not unuasual for me to get my head blown off.:p

ALIENWAR3
04-18-2011, 10:14 AM
if it's not HOD it's the Mortar.

SNiPaZoR
04-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Congrats on getting your Wings and thanks for the story.
I too am wanting to get my Wings but I need another XP Event because I didn't hear or know of the 18x XP Event so I made plans with friends. Thanks for sharing the story though.