PDA

View Full Version : So even a "Esc" button is too much?

Mcjansen
02-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Believe me, im fan with EpicGames since the beginning of the Unreal era, but this doesnt make sence! first of all i havent even got started to play the d#mn game because of all the Windows Live bs this game is full with, i had to sign up, i had to update, i had to hotfix it, and i finally i got it... now its still working on a XP hotfix. (yes i still use XP, ftw!) But still... It asks me to press Enter? Probably instead of x on some kind of controller, but the most awkward thing is, that the game doenst even respond to the Esc button. I really do not have a clue how to shut down this game.

I mean, Dear Epic, Cliffy, Mark, and who ever is responsible for this port, for the love of god, We have a dutch saying, "Schoenmaker, blijf bij je lees" Wich means, translated to this: Epic, stay with the core of your brilliance, PC gaming.

Mcjansen
02-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Guess what, now that i finally got the whole Windows live gaming deal working, i have to update it once more, im on a 20mbit connection and doing this for over more then 2 hours. Updates for XP included to run the bastard.

Mcjansen
02-24-2011, 04:08 PM
A update for Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant 6.5... This is getting ridicilous

Killing
02-24-2011, 04:41 PM
GFWL should have been put down long ago its the worst pile of **** any ever created for games hosting.

And if you dont believe me trying running a dedicated server that uses GFLW, not happy with requiring you to have a separate account for each server no, GFLW needs a separate desktop user login.

No sure if they have fixed this yet but suffice to say that developer ended up with no community because there where no servers and all because of GFWL.

Mcjansen
02-24-2011, 04:50 PM
I still can't get it working, this is getting sick, ive payed 50 euro's for a game, not for a freaking Windows Live service crap!!

Nono
02-24-2011, 08:04 PM
It's a real pain I know.

MS bosses must thank their lucky stars, that when Steam owner Gabe Newell left Microsoft he didn't set about designing a new OS.

RyviusRan
02-24-2011, 08:17 PM
It might seem really cool if there was an OS just for gaming.
Although you would need to either force developers to use a different method of programming for games or reuse the same stuff like Directx 9,10 and 11.

So basically it would be the same anyway just without all the added baggage of a regular OS.

Computers today can handle regular processes in windows without a problem so it's not really needed.

Microsoft has a pretty good hold on the OS market and that is mainly because the majority of popular software is written on it.

The main problem we have now is Microsoft wanting a piece of the dough in PC gaming.

Their problem is that they abandoned PC gaming long ago for consoles and now when PC gaming is on the rise in profits and overtaking the gaming market and with their console investments not being as good they come back seeking part of that profit.

In the time they ignored PC gaming other companies like Steam have settled in.

If Microsoft wants to get more profit they need to make games more accessible with less problems.
They want to make a huge turnover like they did with going from DOS to Directx.
But this won't happen again since the market they are trying to gain popularity in is not new and there are bigger competitors.

Beyond anything else they need to support PC gaming with doing things like investing back into the market by creating new games.

As of now they are just taking the small scraps leftover on the PC gaming bandwagon.

Trying this Games for Windows Live thing will fail because they are just copying Steam which is much more successful.

If I was in management for this department I could easily make it much more profitable than it is now.

Drudgie
02-24-2011, 08:19 PM
CTRL ALT DELETE :)
The key to all of windows problems and lazy design choices..

Fijut
02-24-2011, 10:01 PM
It might seem really cool if there was an OS just for gaming.

But really, you must use your pc for at least one other thing :D

HarmfulGravemind
02-25-2011, 09:26 AM
MS bosses must thank their lucky stars, that when Steam owner Gabe Newell left Microsoft he didn't set about designing a new OS.

SteamOS would be awesome!

e1337
02-25-2011, 02:30 PM
someone told me how to get around this problem
alt+tab
then right click close game. it should then pop up with your download.

stonefly71
02-26-2011, 09:47 AM
It is either F11 or F12 will shrink the window to get out of the game.ESC is used in game play.

Khmer Spirit
02-26-2011, 09:52 AM
(yes i still use XP, ftw!)

You lost me right here. The suggested specs don't mention XP, if I remember correctly.

Mcjansen
03-06-2011, 05:04 PM
You lost me right here. The suggested specs don't mention XP, if I remember correctly.

Im back, and better then ever. I decided to do a entire format and put on Windows 7. Everything, including Bulletstorm runs like a ****ing piss train! (Which is good) Smooth and stable FPS, and i'm in love with Windows7. Here by my apologies, but still i find Windows Live Gaming a horrible client. But the game kick's ass! Its not what i expected when i look at the MP part, but still its a whole lot of fun and something new. Even tho everything looks and moves incredibly 'consolish' I really dig this game. With the UE engine at large im hoping once again for a entire new and kickass Unreal game!

Congrats Epic.

Mcjansen
03-06-2011, 05:07 PM

The specs on the back of cover says: Recommend Windows XP (SP3) or higher, but GFWL had some much trouble with my version, and not a single hotfix seemed to work, So i suggest to anyone else who has so much trouble running this game stable on a Windows XP OS, Get Vista or higher and it seems it totally coops with Windows7.

VileKill
03-06-2011, 05:46 PM
I can run Bulletstorm just fine under Windows XP (SP3).

dickbird
03-07-2011, 12:38 AM
I agree it's a pretty fun game but the gfwl stuff is horrible. Took me 2 or 3 hours to get it running. I like to disable little things like auto updates and system restore. gfwl's cute mandatory update choked and died most enigmatically until I turned them on, leaving me stranded in the game, refusing to update even if I killed the game, failing with no useful error messages even if I ran the update outside the game (which you can do with a separate download)... system logs more or less indicated what was going on, finally... the gfwl graphics and dialog are all really patronizing and awful also. It works now ok I guess. Haven't tried playing it online or anything. Not sure I ever will. Disgusting that you have to deal with this gfwl junk just to play on your own machine. And people complained about gamespy. Ha.

coolcat22
03-07-2011, 01:59 PM
ooh well its better then gamespy
omfg its not i want gamespy xd

Khmer Spirit
03-09-2011, 04:37 PM
The specs on the back of cover says: Recommend Windows XP (SP3) or higher, but GFWL had some much trouble with my version, and not a single hotfix seemed to work, So i suggest to anyone else who has so much trouble running this game stable on a Windows XP OS, Get Vista or higher and it seems it totally coops with Windows7.

Vista or higher it says:

Operating System Windows XP (SP3), Windows Vista (SP2), or Windows 7
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon X2, or equivalent, running at 1.6 GHz or greater
Memory (RAM) 1.5 GB
HDD Space 9 GB available
Video Card DirectX 9.0c compatible, 256 MB of VRAM; NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS, ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro 256 MB, or greater
Soundcard DirectX 9.0c compatible, 16-bit
Disc Drive 16X CD/DVD Drive
Network Internet (TCP/IP) connection

The following configuration is recommended to run Bulletstorm:

Operating System Windows Vista (SP2), or Windows 7
Processor QuadCore 2.0 GHz
Memory (RAM) 2 GB
HDD Space 9 GB available
Video Card DirectX 9.0c compatible, 512MB of VRAM; NVIDIA GeForce GTX260, or ATI Radeon 4870
Soundcard DirectX 9.0c compatible, 16-bit
Disc Drive 16X CD/DVD Drive
Network Broadband Internet (TCP/IP) connection

Sir_Brizz
03-12-2011, 11:27 AM
If you are having GFWL issues, the best solution is to uninstall everything relating to GFWL and reinstall it from the MS website. The thing is a piece of garbage at updating itself, particularly in relation to a newly released game.

Mcjansen
03-13-2011, 07:10 PM
The story of the horrible GFWL continues.... I found out that my Windows Live account got blocked, and guess what, that account contains my Bulletstorm key!! This software is one big nightmare! So now i have to get my account reset somehow... I've started allready with Blackops/steam again... this is just plain horrible. Sigh