PDA

View Full Version : 2D/3D art question..

Devils Testament
01-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Hello,

Well I want to start off by saying that I am a little new to this field in iOS development with the UDK. I wanted to ask what kind of artwork can the UDK support? I know that we can make 3D characters in other softwares and export them to the UDK, but what I want to know is can I have my artist draw something in 2D and still be able to export it to the UDK? Do I still have to create a skeleton for it? Weird question and I might not be putting it correctly but if anyone can somewhat understand me and help me out that be great. Thanks in advance.

Devils Testament
01-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Is there anyone out there? Really need these questions answered please.

Tom Havlik
01-03-2011, 09:36 PM
This is very very basic game development. Do not bump your thread after one hour of it being open. Seriously, this is like one google search away.

What you do is use billboards. It's a 3D plane with a drawing on it. Do some searching and you will find there is more than a wealth of information of simple billboard art.

Devils Testament
01-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Well Tom Havlik thanks for the comment even though it was a little rude I have done searches on the web. I simply want to know can I have my artist draw some 2D images and just run them in the UDK? Or do they have to have a skeleton on them so that the UDK can recognize them? If you google those two questions you can see there is no sure answer or at least not one that I can understand so I do apologize if I was a pain to you.

Blade[UG]
01-03-2011, 10:38 PM
What do you mean "just run them"? How would you put a 2d image into a 3d world?

Since you're new and don't know the workflow, describe what you want to achieve, not how you want to get there :)

Devils Testament
01-03-2011, 10:44 PM
Alright Blade this is what I want to know. Can the drawings my friend made for my game which are 2D be placed in the UDK and be brought to life like Jazz the jackrabbit? Or does he have to actually make a skeleton for the characters in 3D Studio Max? Even though my characters will be in 2D. I honestly don't know how much better I can explain this question but I am happy to answer any if you need more info.

Tom Havlik
01-03-2011, 11:21 PM
Well Tom Havlik thanks for the comment even though it was a little rude I have done searches on the web. I simply want to know can I have my artist draw some 2D images and just run them in the UDK? Or do they have to have a skeleton on them so that the UDK can recognize them? If you google those two questions you can see there is no sure answer or at least not one that I can understand so I do apologize if I was a pain to you.

I am not being rude, I'm being helpful. If you want rude, visit #C++ on freenode and ask any question at all about anything. Thread bumping is only appropriate in a few situations, such as if it fell to a second page for being inactive for so long (not just a couple hours.) It's not uncommon to be called out on forum etiquette.

Alright Blade this is what I want to know. Can the drawings my friend made for my game which are 2D be placed in the UDK and be brought to life like Jazz the jackrabbit? Or does he have to actually make a skeleton for the characters in 3D Studio Max? Even though my characters will be in 2D. I honestly don't know how much better I can explain this question but I am happy to answer any if you need more info.

Animate billboards with whatever software you want. 3ds Max is for 3d stuff. If you're doing 2d stuff, then you don't need 3d software. If your 2d game doesn't utilize shaders/lighting/physics, then why use UDK? A simple 2d game can be assembled together in XNA using Farseer as a physics engine in literally about one evening. It's also completely free for commercial use. Gleed2D is great for 2D level designing, also.

shul
01-04-2011, 03:48 PM
I am not being rude, I'm being helpful. If you want rude, visit #C++ on freenode and ask any question at all about anything.

I find it amusing you are referring him to #C++.. ever been to #C ? :D

zyndro
01-04-2011, 05:15 PM
i think i understand what your asking..

but if you are planning to have your friend draw a cool dragon in paper, scan your draw and put it in UDK and then wait for the UDK to transform that draw into some cool 3d dragon, you'll better take a sit my friend, UDK at this momment is not able to do so..

you can use the draw as reference for sure, but you will need to model the dragon completely in 3d, apply textures, effects, etc.

sorry my english, i hope have helped you

Devils Testament
01-04-2011, 06:35 PM
i think i understand what your asking..

but if you are planning to have your friend draw a cool dragon in paper, scan your draw and put it in UDK and then wait for the UDK to transform that draw into some cool 3d dragon, you'll better take a sit my friend, UDK at this momment is not able to do so..

you can use the draw as reference for sure, but you will need to model the dragon completely in 3d, apply textures, effects, etc.

sorry my english, i hope have helped you

Not exactly what I was talking about but a little close. I asked around with some friends all I wanted to know was whether or not my 2D characters that he's been drawing would need to have an actual skeleton to animate and such. Yes they do need to have one which in turn means they will be modeled in a 3D software. Thanks anyways.

darthviper107
01-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Yes--if you wanted to do some kind of 2D style you would need to create a skeleton to animate them

And I hope you weren't expecting a 3D model to appear from a drawing like someone was suggesting--that would be ridiculous.

marscaleb
01-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Are you talking about having flat 2D characters in a 3D world like in Paper Mario?
If that is the case then you would need to do as Tom described: have the 2D art placed onto a flat plane (or billboard) which can be moved around.
If you did that, you wouldn't need to build a skeleton UNLESS you wanted to have individual parts move around; like if you wanted to have a guy walking, instead of having a whole drawing for each frame, you just have a drawing for his body and a drawing for each of his limbs, and then you have the limb drawings move and swing like he were actually walking.
But bear in mind that if you wanted to use a whole drawing for each frame of animation, Unreal is NOT equipped to let you change out different images for different actions (ie have him standing still, then running, then crouching, etc.) but is really only set up to have a single texture for each object. (It is possible to have that texture be an animated loop, but boy is it costly, and you can't suddenly change it to a new animation.)