PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial Creating a Basic iOS Game

Tom Havlik
12-19-2010, 01:52 AM
Hello folks, here is a guide similar to the "Basic UDK Game" tutorial, except it will set up a mobile game and a little workflow to the mobile viewer.

Update: 22 December, 2010
DarkVeil has informed me that the shortcut for launching the mobile previewer lacks "-SimMobile" which will use OpenGL ES 2.0 instead of DX for rendering. Modify the shortcut as such will provide rendering closer to that of iOS.

Here is a video of this tutorial:

Vimeo: (high quality)
http://www.vimeo.com/17988043

Youtube: (very low quality)
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usKO056s6KY
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XavMpeMvtYw

My website: (high quality, please be courteous only use this to download and mirror it, and not to just stream/watch!)
http://keres.satgnu.net/files/udk-basic-ios-game.mp4

Notes:
My microphone sucks, so my voice seems much more annoying than it really is :) I'm also slightly annoyed by how long it took me to make this, as I like fast paced tutorials and these are a bit slow. Please excuse this.

Step 1, Environment Setup
Download & install the tools you deem necessary for development. Here I am using nFringe (http://wiki.pixelminegames.com/index.php?title=Tools:nFringe) w/ Visual Studio 2008.

Step 2, Creating the Project:
Open Visual Studio and create an UnrealEngine 3 Licensee Project, and type in the name for your project, as well as the Location to C:\Path\To\UDK-Year-Month\Development\Src then uncheck "Create directory for solution," and make sure the Solution is set to "Create New Solution." After this is done, exit out of Visual Studio then navigate to the folder you set up for the project location (ending in "\Src") then you will see there is a folder named after your newly created project, containing the .sln and .ucproj for it. Move all of these files up one directory, so you will have MyMobileProject.sln and MyMobileProject.ucproj in the \Development\Src\ folder. Now delete the folder titled after your project.

Reopen your project's solution, and you should see in the Solution Explorer (CTRL+W, then hit S to show/hide) that all of the other UnrealScript files are added successfully (if done right) as folders which you can spin open in a tree view.
If you have failed this, consult other guides for nFringe (http://wiki.pixelminegames.com/index.php?title=Tools:nFringe:UnrealScript:UdkProj ects).

Right click on your project, which should be the second item in the tree view, and hit "Add -> New Folder." Rename this folder to your project's name. Now right click on this folder, and add another one inside of it. Rename this one to "Classes" as all the other ones are, too. This folder will house your game code, just as the UTGame folder houses game code for UT.

Step 3, Prototyping Classes
Now we will create four .uc files in the Classes folder that you just created. Some of these classes mentioned here have no extensive functionality. They are only listed so you will know which classes I extended from. Assuming you know basic UnrealScript, create corresponding classes:

MyGame.uc

class MyGame extends FrameworkGame;

function Tick(float DeltaTime) // every frame, write a little messsage to screen so we know it is working
{
WorldInfo.Game.Broadcast(self,"Game updated in " $ DeltaTime);
super.Tick(DeltaTime);
}

// Replace MyFolderName with your folder name, and the class names appropriately!
DefaultProperties
{
PlayerControllerClass=class'MyFolderName.MyPC' // name of your PlayerController
DefaultPawnClass=class'MyFolderName.MyPawn' // name of your pawn class
HUDType=class'MyFolderName.MyHUD' // your HUD
bRestartLevel=true // restart level when player dies
bDelayedStart=false // do not have a warmup
}

MyPC.uc

class MyPC extends GamePlayerController;

DefaultProperties
{
}

MyPawn.uc

class MyPawn extends GamePawn;

DefaultProperties
{
}

MyHUD.uc

class MyHUD extends MobileHUD;

DefaultProperties
{
}

Step 4, Configs
Mobile games seem to have different configs than the normal UDKGame. They are located in

\UDK-Year-Month\MobileGame\Config.

Go to that folder, and delete MobileEngine.ini and MobileGame.ini. Then make the

following ammendments:

DefaultEngine.ini:
At the top, change some values:
Map=MG-Test.mobile
LocalMap=MG-Test.mobile
TransitionMap=MG-Test.mobile

Under [UnrealEd.EditorEngine] add:
+EditPackages=MyFolderName

DefaultGame.ini:
Under [Engine.GameInfo] change:
DefaultGame=MyFolderName.MyGame
DefaultServerGame=MyFolderName.MyGame
DefaultGameType="MyFolderName.MyGame"

Step 5, Compile Scripts
Fire up UnrealFrontend.exe, located in \UDK-Year-Month\Binares. At the top, there's a big button labeled "Script." Press it and hit "Full Recompile." The log window should mention your game, and compile correctly. If it does not mention your game, then check your configs.

Exit FrontEnd and Visual Studio.

Step 6, Create the Map
Launch UDK Mobile Editor via the shortcut (or make your own, "\Binares\UDKMobileLift.exe editor" is the shortcut.) The castle will probably be the default level, so create a new one under the file menu.

Visit Hourences website, and paste in the basic map located at the following URL:
http://www.hourences.com/snippets-1/#basicroom

Save the map by going "File -> Save All" and save it as "MG-Test" (the "MG" prefix is important as of newer versions of UDK.) Compile the BSP and lighting, resave, then exit the editor.

Step 7, Mobile Previewer
Navigate back to \UDK-Year-Month\Binaries and make a shortcut for UDKMobileLift.exe. Right click on the newly created shortcut, and click "Properties." Change the Target to the following value:

C:\Path\To\UDK-Month-Year\Binaries\UDKMobileLift.exe MG-Test -LOG=MyLog.txt

Then hit Apply, and close the Properties dialog. This will now serve as a shortcut for quickly launching the game, instead of using the editor to launch the mobile previewer.

Step 8, Enjoy Cake
Fire up your modified shortcut to UDKMobileLift.exe and navigate around the map with WASD/Arrow keys. The HUD was replaced from the one in the Citadel demo, but no worries. You can always go back and change it :)

Merry Christmas to all! Here is a zip of a similar project I set up before writing this. Remember to change the MobileViewer shortcut to the appropriate UDKMobileLift.exe path!
http://keres.satgnu.net/files/UDK-2010-12-Tutorial.zip

-Tom

Tom Havlik
12-19-2010, 01:58 AM
Here's a zip containing a project I set up and tested out. The naming scheme on the files is different, but it is otherwise exactly the same.

Remember to modify the MobileViewer shortcut to your UDKMobileLift.exe path.

http://keres.satgnu.net/files/MobilTutorial.zip

Vmlweb
12-19-2010, 06:55 AM
Thanks, really helpful

zero4
12-19-2010, 06:58 AM
yeah that's great. Can you post something like that but with using WOTgreal?

nFringe cost is a lot for people who want to create commercial games on iOS ;)

PunchCardStudios
12-19-2010, 07:23 AM
You don't -really- need nFringe do you? It just helps with IntelliSense and stuff right? Or is there something I'm seriously missing out on?

PCS

EDIT: Fantastically well laid out tutorial btw, concise and to the point. Love your work XD.

Curious
12-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Nice tutorial, but what about controls on the device? How to get them to work?

Tom Havlik
12-19-2010, 10:49 AM

Just skip the steps that require nFringe. Visual Studio is only there as an IDE. At the end of the tutorial, you should have these following folders:

c:\Path\To\UDK-Year-Month\Development\Src\Core
c:\Path\To\UDK-Year-Month\Development\Src\Engine
c:\Path\To\UDK-Year-Month\Development\Src\GameFramework
. . .other folders such as UDKFramework. . .
c:\Path\To\UDK-Year-Month\Development\Src\MyGameFolder
-> c:\Path\To\UDK-Year-Month\Development\Src\MyGameFolder\Classes
MyGame.uc
MyPC.uc
MyHUD.uc
MyPawn.uc

The last item, the folder called MyGameFolder, should be the name of your project. When you go to modify DefaultEngine.ini, you set some settings that reference this folder. The .uc files inside of the classes folder can be created with notepad (just Save As... then select "All Files" for the type) if you specify the right extension.
Then I use UnrealFrontend to compile the scripts, not Visual Studio. I also don't even use VS's error list, usually I write clean enough code and Frontend does an overall better job of catching larger-scale errors.

If you want instructions without VS, just remove the .sln and .ucproj from the zip in the original post :)

I might make this into a video. It would seriously take maybe 5 minutes.

Nice tutorial, but what about controls on the device? How to get them to work?

They're currently bound to the WASD and arrow keys. In the mobile demo for the Citadel, Epic uses a special HUD class for mobile controls. If you want, just set the MyGame's HUD class to the one that CasteGame or whatever uses.

Curious
12-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Unfortunately, nothing works for me... It recognizes what I want to do in the MobilePreviewer through the .inis and script, but it fails on the device... Just renders the scene with the Version in the upper right corner. Actually, nothing works on the device... Even the delta time output...

Joan
12-19-2010, 11:43 AM
very helpful. thanks.

I've completed all the steps. It runs well. but I don't know how to control the game using iPhone input instead of pc keyboard. UDK remote does'nt work at all with this MG-Test game.

Curious
12-19-2010, 11:51 AM
very helpful. thanks.

I've completed all the steps. It runs well. but I don't know how to control the game using iPhone input instead of pc keyboard. UDK remote does'nt work at all with this MG-Test game.

UDK Remote sends touch information to the computer, but this game mode doesn't interpret such information for controlling the player. You need to implement such functionality (Epic did it for you with MobileHUD and MobilePC)

Blade[UG]
12-19-2010, 11:52 AM

Set it up exactly like you would for anything else, but use udkmobile.exe instead of udk.exe

Tom Havlik
12-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Original post updated with videos to this tutorial, as well as a .zip containing the final product.

Here is a video of this tutorial:

Vimeo: (high quality)
http://www.vimeo.com/17988043

Youtube: (very low quality)
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usKO056s6KY
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XavMpeMvtYw

My website: (high quality, please be courteous only use this to download and mirror it, and not to just stream/watch!)
http://keres.satgnu.net/files/udk-basic-ios-game.mp4

Notes:
My microphone sucks, so my voice seems much more annoying than it really is :) I'm also slightly annoyed by how long it took me to make this, as I like fast paced tutorials and these are a bit slow. Please excuse this.

http://keres.satgnu.net/files/UDK-2010-12-Tutorial.zip

elitemantis
12-19-2010, 08:01 PM
really great tutorial. now I can get down and dirty, thanks!

this needs to be stickied, really it does.

PunchCardStudios
12-19-2010, 08:49 PM
Fantastic Tutorial, I don't suppose you could shed any light on how you could take what you've done in the tutorial here, and then apply a sidescrolling camera effect to it? I've had a quick look through what's available on the UDK website, and either the code is old or it's not functional in the iOS setting.

Much obliged!

PCS

utech
12-20-2010, 02:35 AM
I don't use nFringe is there some altenative solution.

PunchCardStudios
12-20-2010, 02:40 AM
Utech, give the rest of the thread a quick read over, non-users of nFringe have already asked Tom about how to set up without it...

Tom Havlik
12-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Fantastic Tutorial, I don't suppose you could shed any light on how you could take what you've done in the tutorial here, and then apply a sidescrolling camera effect to it? I've had a quick look through what's available on the UDK website, and either the code is old or it's not functional in the iOS setting.

Much obliged!

PCS

Yes, I was considering doing another video tutorial for such a thing. If I do, it'll definitely be after Christmas whenever I have a minute or so.

Thanks for the kind words!
-Tom

PunchCardStudios
12-20-2010, 06:32 PM
Thanks Tom! Very much appreciated! I'm currently seeing if its possible to change the udk camera class stuff over to udkmobile using the base iOS game that you made. Just need to learn unrealscript is all.

PCS

bsabiston
12-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Do you have to have Visual Studio to develop for iOS using UDK? It's like $550. Is there a good free IDE?
Thanks
Bob

GameHatcher
12-20-2010, 11:04 PM
I watched the video tutorial and thought it was very well put together and very informative. The problem I am having is knowing how to transfer this knowledge over to making my own mobile games. I am an artist that really wants to learn how to use Unreal Script because I see the power it gives the developer, but I don't quite get it. Is there someone on here that has the time maybe to do some paid tutoring...on a budget :) ? Nothing too extreme, but just a good push in the right direction for a newbie coder that's actually an artist. I have been reading the UDN stuff but find myself having questions about different things but nothing to base my own ideas off of to try and solve them since I don't have the base foundation of coding to begin with. It's easier for me to understand or figure out the art (creation) stuff, but anything dealing with ini. or copy/pasting lines of script (code) is a frustrating mystery to me because I don't know the "why" I am doing it part. Any help will be greatly appreciated, and Tom thanks for the tutorial. You did a great job (even for someone like me).

Happy Holidays

Tom Havlik
12-20-2010, 11:11 PM
I watched the video tutorial and thought it was very well put together and very informative. The problem I am having is knowing how to transfer this knowledge over to making my own mobile games. I am an artist that really wants to learn how to use Unreal Script because I see the power it gives the developer, but I don't quite get it. Is there someone on here that has the time maybe to do some paid tutoring...on a budget :) ? Nothing too extreme, but just a good push in the right direction for a newbie coder that's actually an artist. I have been reading the UDN stuff but find myself having questions about different things but nothing to base my own ideas off of to try and solve them since I don't have the base foundation of coding to begin with. It's easier for me to understand or figure out the art (creation) stuff, but anything dealing with ini. or copy/pasting lines of script (code) is a frustrating mystery to me because I don't know the "why" I am doing it part. Any help will be greatly appreciated, and Tom thanks for the tutorial. You did a great job (even for someone like me).

Happy Holidays

Post in the Help Wanted section asking for a tutor. I've seen similar topics and there are always like 3-4 replies. Private message me if you want my email & Skype info, as I actually enjoy seeing people learn if they really want to (so as long as a person shows progress.)

Edit:

Holy moly, wrong thread.

GameHatcher
12-21-2010, 12:14 AM
Thank you for such a prompt reply. I will do exactly as you have instructed.

nebulabox
12-21-2010, 08:36 AM
Thanks Tom, this is very helpful

Snufkin
12-21-2010, 05:56 PM
Nice one geezer!

Tom Havlik
12-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Thank you all for the kind feedback! Such appreciation is certainly valued.

I have just updated the videos and the first post with a bit of info.

Update: 22 December, 2010
DarkVeil has informed me that the shortcut for launching the mobile previewer lacks "-SimMobile" which will use OpenGL ES 2.0 instead of DX for rendering. Modify the shortcut as such will provide rendering closer to that of iOS.

Thanks again, DarkVeil! :)

Onoa
12-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Hi Tom,

Could you please explain why you delete MobileEngine.ini and MobileGame.ini?

Thanks,

Tom Havlik
12-22-2010, 01:29 PM
You delete MobileEngine.ini and MobileGame.ini because you edit DefaultEngine.ini and DefaultGame.ini. The compiler will generate the files you just deleted from the ones you modified. In any case, the generated files may or may not be overwritten by the default ones. To be safe, you should modify only the default configs and have them regenerate.

Onoa
12-22-2010, 01:33 PM
You delete MobileEngine.ini and MobileGame.ini because you edit DefaultEngine.ini and MobileGame.ini. The compiler will generate the files you just deleted from the ones you modified. In any case, the generated files may or may not be overwritten by the default ones. To be safe, you should modify only the default configs and have them regenerate.

I think you meant DefaultGame.ini in your explanation?

Thanks a lot for the information.

Tom Havlik
12-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Oops :) yeah, you are correct. It is very early in the morning!

Right now I'm putting together a tutorial for baking textures in both 3ds Max and Maya, then bringing the ambient occlusion and normal maps into Photoshop to create the diffuse and specular. It should be done by this afternoon. :)

CSlegers
12-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Thnx cant wait, really helps to understand The mobile stuff

Mint_Sauce
12-24-2010, 08:14 AM
Like GameHatcher, I'm not much of a coder so thanks for taking the time to do this, looking forward to the next tutorial.

PunchCardStudios
12-26-2010, 10:44 PM
Eager to see what you've got in store in the next tutorial! Very appreciative of your efforts.

Onoa
12-28-2010, 05:02 PM
I have the same issue... Took me a while to realize, since I've spent most of my time reading documentation and making sure everything was setup correctly. But all I get is my scene, with the version numbers in the corner.

I wonder if it's crashed actually.

Did you figure out what is the problem in the setup?

Onoa
12-29-2010, 01:48 AM
I finally found what was the problem. I suspect that some people are having the same issue as me, mainly that they expect to have some kind of control when they test on the device itself. Like Tom stated in his tutorial, the touch controls have been removed, so don't expect them to be there when you run on the device.

Here's a different version of the tutorial that will allow you to get your map running with the touch controls implemented as well (using the MobileGame classes with control, pawn and camera implementation):

Step 1 and 2 are the same.

Step 3, Prototyping Classes

Now we will create four .uc files in the Classes folder that you just created. Some of these classes mentioned here have no extensive functionality. They are only listed so you will know which classes I extended from. Assuming you know basic UnrealScript, create corresponding classes:

MyGame.uc

(Instead of extending from FrameworkGame, extend from MobileGame)

class MyGame extends MobileGame;

function Tick(float DeltaTime) // every frame, write a little messsage to screen so we know it is working
{
WorldInfo.Game.Broadcast(self,"Game updated in " $ DeltaTime);
super.Tick(DeltaTime);
}

// Replace MyFolderName with your folder name, and the class names appropriately!
DefaultProperties
{
PlayerControllerClass=class'MyFolderName.MyPC' // name of your PlayerController
DefaultPawnClass=class'MyFolderName.MyPawn' // name of your pawn class
HUDType=class'MyFolderName.MyHUD' // your HUD
bRestartLevel=true // restart level when player dies
bDelayedStart=false // do not have a warmup
}

MyPC.uc

(Instead of extending from GamePlayerController, extend from MobilePC)

class MyPC extends MobilePC;

DefaultProperties
{
}

MyPawn.uc

(Instead of extending from GamePawn, extend from MobilePawn)

class MyPawn extends MobilePawn;

DefaultProperties
{
}

MyHUD.uc

Same as before

class MyHUD extends MobileHUD;

DefaultProperties
{
}

Step 4, Configs

Nothing would show up for me on the display until I've added the following to the DefaultEngine.ini file (in addition to the previous modification from the original instructions). Curious mentioned that in another thread, and I think it's not mentioned in this tutorial.

[Engine.StartupPackages]
+Package=MyGame

Tristamus
12-30-2010, 01:01 AM
These tutorials are absolutely wonderful.

I watched all your texturing and baking tutorials. Very good.

I am definitely looking forward to learning as much as I can about making things for the iOS with UDK. Would it be possible, say, to take that example script and level you have there and put in all my models etc to display them on the iPhone, like a portfolio almost?

I'll be looking forward to any and all tutorials from you concerning UDK and iOS!! =)

Tom Havlik
12-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Why are you wanting to extend from the examples, Onoa? I guess that's an easy way to do things, but you would lose the experience of reimplementing that functionality (which wouldn't be hard.)

Tristamus: Yes, of course. The mobile editor is like the exact same thing as the regular one.

Thanks for the feedback guys :) once again appreciated. I'd like to get a new dev machine soon (it depends if I get this job at Toy's R Us or not!) so I can do some video editing without taking days to render out.

Sir. Polaris
12-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Make sure you get this all up on UDKC :D

I'm rooting for your employment! :D

zyndro
12-30-2010, 09:39 PM
Awesome tutorial!

Thanks for the hard work!

Can't wait for the next one, this really helps to get started for the ones like me that are a little lost in UDK.

Even though English is not my native language I'm surprised how easy I'm able to understand every step you did.

Thanks again from Costa Rica!
=)

salochin59
01-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Some people have been asking about a free script editor. I have been using ConTEXT.
http://www.contexteditor.org/
I would recommend downloading a UnrealScript highlighter as well.
http://www.contexteditor.org/highlighters/
or
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/ConTEXT

HulkManik
01-12-2011, 01:01 AM
Here's a zip containing a project I set up and tested out. The naming scheme on the files is different, but it is otherwise exactly the same.

Remember to modify the MobileViewer shortcut to your UDKMobileLift.exe path.

http://keres.satgnu.net/files/MobilTutorial.zip

Link not working. can you load again

Bogey
01-13-2011, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the tutorial Tom Havlik. It's great.
Onoa: I did what you said I should do with the class extensions and the .ini file, but my control sticks are still nowhere to be found. Could there be anything I may have forgotten to do that is absolutely crucial?

EDIT: nvm, problem solved :)

kite212
01-21-2011, 09:38 PM
thanks a bunch for these tuts it has helped a bunch for getting started, does anybody know where i can get some insight on the Mobile Placeable Pawn and linking that to the controls i have made in unrealscript??

maverick976
03-03-2011, 10:16 PM
With the edition of the joysticks this works nicely. However, I would also like to request a tutorial on how to add a side-scroller camera to this code. I want to do it in unreal script, so its there for my entire game. I believe you have to redo it for every level if its done in kizmet. I have tried converting the code supplied for the various camera tutorials to the mobile solution and I just can't get it working.

A big added plus would be an example of how to control the side scroller with custom buttons such as an old Nintendo controller, etc. Thanks again for this solid tutorial!

Tom Havlik
03-06-2011, 11:02 AM
With the edition of the joysticks this works nicely. However, I would also like to request a tutorial on how to add a side-scroller camera to this code. I want to do it in unreal script, so its there for my entire game. I believe you have to redo it for every level if its done in kizmet. I have tried converting the code supplied for the various camera tutorials to the mobile solution and I just can't get it working.

A big added plus would be an example of how to control the side scroller with custom buttons such as an old Nintendo controller, etc. Thanks again for this solid tutorial!

This is actually a really great idea for a tutorial. :) Someone on my youtube video for this asked when I was going to make a new one, and I suppose I might do it over this. First step will be setting up the camera, and then getting horizontal joystick movement? I mean, you could use the up direction for jumping, but it'd make more sense to have a button for that. Any kind of functionality I'd imagine the vertical direction of the joystick being would be out of the scope of a tutorial.

Thanks for the great suggestion. If you're wanting to throw out a couple features you would like to see in there, please feel free.

maverick976
03-06-2011, 07:07 PM
That would be great man. I picture something that would work like old school mario (with guns) :0). Left and right arrows on left side and two buttons on right for jumping and shooting. I guess you could have up and down buttons for weapons changes and squatting behind objects.

Just not sure how that would scale to the ipad in landscape mode, but I guess it wouldn't be worse than the joysticks for the current mobile game.

Thanks. I know many would appreciate a tutorial somewhere along these lines. I have seen people all over the web looking for side scrolling features or really anyway to control the camera with the mobile toolset without kizmet only solutions.

Tom Havlik
03-06-2011, 11:20 PM
Yeah, kismet seems to be popular for entire game tutorials, but it's really completely impractical. I really want to incorporate the joystick into this, though, so I'll have joystick control movement and the down direction crouch the player. I'll throw in some notes and hints as to program a little camera move for looking "up" (similar to the Sonic side scrollers where if you hold up for a moment, the camera moves up just a bit.) I'll have the camera move down upon crouching much the same.

The mobile input system scales quite easily for landscape/portrait modes on different systems. ALWAYS use relative layouts and you'll be fine. ;)

Gizmo_x
03-13-2011, 10:49 AM
thanks for the tutorial.

Anicho
03-28-2011, 01:27 AM
Great stuff Tom, really helped me understand alot about how udk works with such a simple tutorial... :D

Insipidus
04-02-2011, 03:34 AM
Hey Tom,

Two questions for you sir, if you had a minute.

1.) When I click on the "Mobile_Previewer" in order to preview my game, I still get a message stating that scripts are outdated and if I'd like to rebuild. I've fully recompiled in Unreal Frontend, so I'm not sure what I've done wrong here.

2.) When I do fully recompile in Unreal Frontend, I get a warning stating this:

Warning, Can't find files matching C:\UDK\UDK-2011-03\Binaries\Win32\..\..\Development\Src\MyGame\Cla sses\*.uc

Again, have I missed a step/done something wrong? I still get a full succeed at the end of everything, but this is still popping up.

I'll continue to mess around and see if I can figure out anything, but I wanted to post and ask for your expertise, if you don't mind. Thanks again for the great tutorial. Look forward to your response. :)

aZzy
04-02-2011, 04:28 AM
for your first question, are you sure you have told the engine to compile your scripts? and if so delete your config file and recompile again and it should work.

as for your second question, there is a space between Cla sses... whether that typo was made when posting i am not sure.
Otherwise, You have compiled without saving any files in there.

Insipidus
04-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks for your response aZzy.

I'm pretty sure I told the engine to compile my scripts. It says ---MyGame - Release----- at the top like in the tutorial.

I removed the Config file in MobileGame folder completely and recompiled, and this seemed to remove the warning I was receiving (I copied and pasted that warning directly into my post btw, so there shouldn't have been any typos, but I'm looking into that space anyway. I noticed that too.). The Previewer doesn't come up at all now though and I get an error asking to report the issue to Epic.

Did I remove the Config file from the incorrect folder? I've put it back in MobileGame (just threw it on my desktop for the time being) and it's back to how it was before, asking if I'd like to recompile when I attempt to open the previewer. Also still get the warning message in Frontend, without the space in Classes btw, but everything seems to succeed. Removing the Config file from other folders doesn't seem to be the right thing to do, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Finally, when following that extension for the warning, I cannot even find a folder for that. I get into Win32 and then become lost with the "\..\..\" business. Again, it still succeeds, so I'm not worrying about it too much.

I feel like I'm close here to getting the desired result. Hopefully these issues can be resolved. I'm sure it's something simple that I've messed up.

Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it.

Insipidus
04-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Oh, and MyGame is not showing up in "Game Type For PIE" inside the editor either. Not sure if that information would help at all.

I can start a new post for this. I don't want to take away from the tutorial post. Just figured I'd type here in case others have similar issues....

Insipidus
04-02-2011, 11:43 PM
I figured out my issues. Created a separate thread. Hopefully this will help someone.

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=771777

iio
04-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Thanks, Tom. It was a great intro tute. I have encountered a problem, though. Its probably something I've done but I got this error after I tried to compile all the scripts. Has anyone else gotten this or know what it means?

Unreal Frontend 2 started 4/16/2011 9:53:52 PM...

[COMMANDLET 'UDKMobile.exe make -full' STARTED IN ''] Apr 16, 9:53 PM

Init: Version: 7977
Init: Epic Internal: 0
Init: Compiled (32-bit): Mar 10 2011 13:58:17
Init: Command line: -full
Init: Base directory: C:\UDK\UDK-2011-03\Binaries\Win32\
Init: Character set: Unicode
Log: Executing Class UnrealEd.MakeCommandlet
--------------------Core - Release--------------------
Analyzing...
Scripts successfully compiled - saving package 'C:\UDK\UDK-2011-03\Binaries\Win32\..\..\MobileGame\Script\Core.u'
--------------------Engine - Release--------------------
Analyzing...
C:\UDK\UDK-2011-03\Binaries\..\Development\Src\Engine\Classes\Game Engine.uc : Error, Multiple cpptext definitions
Compile aborted due to errors.

Warning/Error Summary
---------------------
C:\UDK\UDK-2011-03\Binaries\..\Development\Src\Engine\Classes\Game Engine.uc : Error, Multiple cpptext definitions

Failure - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
Execution of commandlet took: 0.41 seconds
[Apr 16, 9:53 PM] COMMANDLET 'UDKMobile.exe make -full' FAILED

Blade[UG]
04-16-2011, 10:40 AM
I would copy over that file from a clean install .. or perhaps even the entire Engine\Classes folder, because if that file got duplicated, who knows what else might've

iio
04-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Yeah good point. I've been tinkering around for a couple of days and shouldn't be surprised that I've ended up in this position. I'll just do a clean install as I haven't any work I'll miss. Cheers.

blakedaze
04-19-2011, 08:06 AM
great.. thanks for the very informative information.

utech
09-17-2011, 01:22 PM
I think that there is some differences in setup MobileGame in : UDK-2011-08 version, there is no Mobile Game folder in the root of the UDK folder ?
So how to setup mobile game project in UDK-2011-08 version ?

Thanks

EDIT:
it's all the same, now in August version of UDK all ini files are both for PC and Mobile.

Snufkin
10-02-2011, 10:23 AM
Hello i get an error with "SetMeshVisibility(UTPC.bBehindView);" in my Pawn class when trying to use this camera example (http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/CameraTechnicalGuide.html#Example%20Top-Down%20Camera).

vignesh.vs.in
05-31-2012, 04:35 PM
I am able to get my game up and running in mobile previewer but when i deploy the game on my iphone the game doesnt use my custom gameinfo class :(. all i get is my map with no interactivity.

Stuck on this problem for 2 days now. help plz.

Edit: i checked and recheck the ini configs too.

Vawx
05-31-2012, 05:21 PM
Check, in the editor, with your map open: View -> world properties -> Game type

Change these to your gametype.

If you have done this already, try to provide more info.