PDA

View Full Version : Amazing game, yet I'm still disappointed...

Pacificsun0481
12-10-2010, 02:10 PM
First off, I'd love to commend Chair and Epic for creating such a masterful iOS title.

Infinity Blade, as a game, ticks all of the right boxes and hits all of the right notes. The gameplay is immersive; the story is simple and brilliant; the atmosphere is enthralling; the character development system is stellar.

But....why am I disappointed?

Well, I play this game solely on an iPad (I don't have either of the new retina idevices), where visual anomalies stick out like a sore thumb. Especially on a screen this size.

The menu system and on screen buttons are not crisp. The dodge buttons are too small and unresponsive.

The biggest offense (after the hype in the unreal 3 engine) has to do with the LOW RESOLUTION texture work. What gives?!

Regardless of how great most of the game looks, other parts (texture work) looks flat, ugly and not much better than anything Gameloft is doing.

I'm really not trying to insult the game and have been vehemently defending the play style since it was revealed (to others disappointment), over at TouchArcade.

I wish the game had been a larger file size, if this meant the visuals could justify the hype. It's good looking for sure, but I expected better. Cleaner. More crisp.

(examples: i hoped armor would show a glint of reflection, the textures weren't flat or muddled, not as low resolution and jarringly bad) - The iPad is more capable than this. It's almost like a cleaner 2x upscale, vs. Being tailored for the hardware/screen attributes.

Is this something that can be worked on, with an update?

Overall, I'm grateful to play this gem. I did expect to be wowed, though. It's visually on par with RAGE...which disappoints on some level.

(I'm just here to put my 2 cents in, maybe someone could clarify, why a better job was not done for the iPad - if it had cost more for an HD version, I would have paid it - if it meant better looking and it's layout/button attributes correctly fit the screen)

Pacificsun0481
12-10-2010, 02:31 PM
A few suggestions I thought of to make the experience more robust:

For a game, in which requires bloodlines to repeat until completion - which means vanquishing the same villains...add more than one death/kill animation per villain, to give a bit more diversity/less monotony to the experience.

Achievements to save locally.

The pause button, which drops the menu screen has gotten in the way several times while doing battle, could be fixed. Maybe a double tap on that icon?

Allow for more quicktime events, like the stab ability which could expand on the parry counter system, which is in place already.

Finally, nothing is worse than beginning a nice combo and the opponent staggers. Completely breaking your momentum.

nicholaelaw
12-10-2010, 03:31 PM
I play the game on iPad too. The graphics doesn't bother me. It is already pretty amazing that a fully 3D game can work like this on a device with limited processing power. Check out Devil May Cry, I think this game on iDevices is as good as DMC3 on PS2.

What I want is more items, more enemies, more levels. And the story could use a bit more work too.

Mark Rein
12-10-2010, 04:20 PM
You should make a game for iPad and show us how it is supposed to be done :)

Pacificsun0481
12-10-2010, 04:36 PM

Touché.

:p

I did say I love the game, if that's any consolation.

(it's just a bummer when you see that there's optimization for the 4gen devices screens, yet, doesn't seem optimization was taken for the iPad resolution/screen)

I also added a post (below my first post), with a few suggestions for playability enhancements.

Which means, to have noticed these observations, I'm playing the game enough to care and would love to see it grow over time.

Lastly, very excited for the updates in the pipeline. Infinity Blade is incredible. It's amazing that no other developer, had thought about a game of this type, on these devices before this. Testament to your development brilliance.

I'm so jazzed about the expansion of this title.

Ps. Please don't let Infinity Blade be your only iOS endeavor. I love the Gears of War series and would love to see Epic pull a Gameloft (Nova/Modern Combat 2) on iOS. Make a first person Gears of War shooter, for iOS. Using UE3. Showing everyone, once again how the best games are made....

Or a port of Shadow Complex (nudge, nudge)

Pacificsun0481
12-10-2010, 06:23 PM
The more I thought about your response, Mr. rein, the more I felt needed to be said.

I don't develop games. I never claimed to have a solution, to absorb observations and implement them better. That's what game developers are for. That's your trade.

You guys make the best graphics tech in the business, which happens to power the best games around...Utter visual masterpieces.

Which makes the visual blemishes, housed within the sheer beauty of Infinity Blade, more pronounced. There really are bland and flat, even downright ugly textures hiding throughout the journey. They're just waiting to be noticed and greet you with a "hello."

The iPad screen doesn't hide them well. It's a far larger space, where they have less room to be camouflaged and incognito.

I'm not alone in having noticed them. Other iPad owners around the gaming community have too.

That doesn't make us wrong. Or you wrong. It's an observation and those observations from your fans, should encourage better. It comes from a place of love. If I didn't love what you do, I wouldn't waste my energy typing this.

Would I for your team to see the little things and hammer them away with an update? Sure. Will you? Probably not.

If I were Matt Cassamassina or a gaming VIP, my opinion might be worth a hot dog or something...

(Except I'm a consumer who pays for his games vs. A reviewer who gets them gratis lol)

So play Infinity Blade on the iPad. The armor doesn't glimmer, the character textures look flat...

If it can be smoothed out great, if not, great too.

But the dodge buttons do need a little reworking. Check TouchArcade, those buttons could use your love.

Anyhow, this is long winded and I apologize if I sound like a brat. Truly not my intention.

Look at the community feedback as free focus group testing or something. Where you get our ideas for free. You're in one of the industries most privileged positions and it's the fans who enable you to do what you do. Just keep the passion and continue your brilliance, with future iOS titles.

Cheers and high fives!

Sir_Brizz
12-10-2010, 06:48 PM
The iPad is "weaker" than the iPhone 4 and has more visible area to cover. That may explain why some features are turned off. Maybe they can re-enable them in an update or add an option for them to be turned on and off on any device.

Pacificsun0481
12-10-2010, 08:39 PM
The iPad is "weaker" than the iPhone 4 and has more visible area to cover. That may explain why some features are turned off. Maybe they can re-enable them in an update or add an option for them to be turned on and off on any device.

That would be fabulous.

willyrc
12-10-2010, 09:11 PM

Render the iPad version using the same resolution used for the Retina Display version and turn on the shaders :cool:

Pacificsun0481
12-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Render the iPad version using the same resolution used for the Retina Display version and turn on the shaders :cool:

Explain this process. How would the difference look?

Sir_Brizz
12-11-2010, 01:01 AM
I suppose they could try to stretch the result out to full screen, but the iPhone 4 screen resolution is about 10% smaller than the iPad.

Sarim Rune
12-11-2010, 02:59 AM

Bahahahahaha...

That was one of the best responses ever.

Pacificsun0481
12-11-2010, 01:26 PM
It was also an arrogant response.

Criticism should encourage passion and a willingness to do better.

Look, I'm a darn good artist who does hair. If I relate it to this:

I could be the best there is, the most successful there is...

But I always strive for excellence. If I feel I could do better, I'm driven by my own perfectionism to make it better. I want to put out the best result. If I get a criticism, I find a way to fix it.

Maybe because I'm newer in my field. Maybe the response I got, was from someone who just doesn't care, has become jaded or thinks they're better because of who they are.

They don't think there is an issue, when clearly there is...it's not one isolated observation.

Anyone running it on an iPad can see it's downscaled and inferior.

He could have been nicer and offered to look into it. Especially on an engine they're trying to license. They need this game to be a show stopper on every platform.

I have immense respect as a gamer for Mark Rein, Mike Capps, Cliff B, Shinji Mikami, Shigeru Miyamoto, Dr. Ray M., Donald Mustard, Hironobu Sakaguchi, Hideo Kojima, John Carmack, Peter Molyneux...

I love games and the craft behind their artistry.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. Or whine. Or sound ungrateful.

I just want the version I bought to look as good as the other versions. I feel like the version I bought is like a Wii version of an XBox 360 game, visually.

I know it can look better.

neocortex
12-11-2010, 01:40 PM
mmmmm....i have a bad feeling...maybe what u want will come on ipad 2 ( 2 month?) :S :/
i think now the team are aiming on "stuff" & "places", multy and bug fix....

Sarim Rune
12-11-2010, 01:48 PM
It was also an arrogant response.

Criticism should encourage passion and a willingness to do better.

It was an arrogant response and one that was much deserved. You say you respect these people and yet seem to fail to recognize that they are people who worked very hard on something and have feelings. Pretty sure you attack most people's work and you want to tell you to Eff off.

These people are shackled by their PR and normally cannot provide such a great response.

Criticism generally comes across as negative and not inspiring. Constructive criticism is better, but you did not provide that. Your solution is "Do a better job.", hence not constructive, merely arrogant criticism.

I'm not saying you're wrong about the iPad's graphics or that you're right. Only that you are should make your point "You didn't like it on the iPad and hope it could be fixed" and then go away! Now, you are just whining about it.

Sir_Brizz
12-11-2010, 02:02 PM
You want the iPad version to look better. Okay, complaint registered. How do you know it can look better on the iPad? Unless you made the game and were part of the team and helped decide to turn effects off on the iPad, how can you know why that was done?

Pacificsun0481
12-11-2010, 03:49 PM
You want the iPad version to look better. Okay, complaint registered. How do you know it can look better on the iPad? Unless you made the game and were part of the team and helped decide to turn effects off on the iPad, how can you know why that was done?

Excellent point.

Programming and game creation, isn't my area of expertise.

All I know as fact, is that the iPad has a high resolution screen. It's also fact that the iPad is more powerful, than both the iPod touch 4 and the iPhone 3GS.

Yet, those handsets/idevices run the game with more advanced graphical flair and bravado.

I don't understand, why those effects are stripped from the iPad version, which is superior hardware wise.

"iPhone 4 Torn Down and Tested: Slower Than iPad, Faster Than 3G"

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/06/iphone-4-teardowns-and-tests-slower-than-ipad-faster-than-3g/

And

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/09/15/new-ipad-vs-iphone-4-vs-ipod-touch-4g-comparison-available-this-time-on-video-ipad-vs-iphone-4-vs-ipod-touch-4g-show-us-who’s-king-in-the-ios-world/

If someone could just explain it, other than saying it's a resolution issue, that would help alleviate my perceived ignorance on the matter.

If I came of as a butt head, my apologies.

I also apologize to Mark Rein. Your talented designers put out a wonderful game, which I'd rather have than not.

If the bells and whistles could ever happen within the iPad version, I'm sure you'd have found a way or will discover a way. I trust in your talents.

Sir_Brizz
12-11-2010, 03:52 PM
I understand what you're saying. I simply think there had to be a technical reason or they wouldn't have done it. They don't GAIN anything by artificially limiting the iPad version except performance.

Despite the links you provided, everything I've seen in practice is that the iPhone 4 can do more than the iPad can. That might be strictly graphically, but the difference is pretty obvious (of course you can fake it a little better with the tightly packed pixels as well).

Jacobkip
12-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Okay, I just gotta say this because like ten people have complained about the dodge buttons. The thing is, you don't have to hit the arrows. The arrows aren't even buttons. You just tap anywhere on that third of the screen to dodge.

Pacificsun0481
12-12-2010, 04:23 AM
Confirming the Infinity Blade iPad Inadequacy:

http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/217561/infinity-blade/

"...The game is downright gorgeous, and those who have said that it looks on par with some Xbox 360 games aren't far out of line. The iPad version is a slightly different story, though -- my suspicion is that the two devices utilize the same texture assets, so since things have to be a bit blown up to fit the iPad screen (and you're obviously getting a bigger, more zoomed in view of the action), it doesn't look quite as amazing as the iPhone version. It's still a beautiful game, but it looks noticeably more last-gen than the iPhone iteration...

...PROS: Great, Punch-Out!-esque gameplay backed by some of the best graphics to ever grace a handheld.

CONS: The game doesn't look quite as good on an iPad as it does on the iPhone/iPod."

Pacificsun0481
12-14-2010, 07:12 PM
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=75843&page=2

There's a link comparing the iPhone 3GS and up, the iPod 3G and up and iPad versions of Infinity Blade.

The biggest disappointment comes from a developer testing the games footprints and memory usage.

Apparently it is the lack of normal mapping and shader effects stripped from the iPad version.

One of the posters (TouchArcade is a developer haven) wanted to develop his future titles for iPad, utilizing Unreal 3. He noticed the lack of normal mapping for the iPad version and now believes he will need a new engine, not Unreal for his games...

His perspective seemed to be running footprint usage etc, if the unreal engine could use mapping on iPad that the other versions include, Chair would have done so. This leaves him to wonder if Unreal is capable of the finer tuned effects for iPad.

Mark Rein
12-14-2010, 09:34 PM
I also apologize to Mark Rein.You don't owe me an apology.

I really don't want to go into the reasons we do one effect on one device and not on another but you should know there differences between the capabilities, capacity and performance of the devices that dictate what we can and can't do with any particular device in any given situation. That's the kind of trade offs game developers have to make all the time. That's why I was joking that you should make a game and then you'd learn that it is a balancing act.

Ok, so now I'm going to close this thread. Let's leave this kind of technical discussion off our game forum.