PDA

View Full Version : Need help for college assignment - kismet in UEd3

Yikes
12-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Hello!

I am working on a college assignment to make a map for Unreal 3. I have a few questions regarding this.

I have set up music that works fine. I was wondering if it is possible to trigger the music to go to "action" when.. say, the player sees another player? And then go back to ambient when it is quiet. Either that, or that the music is ambient until first blood is drawn, and then it changes to action. Is there a way to do this, using kismet? A way to detect if your field of view sees another player, or if first blood is drawn?

Next question. We are working in groups, and we are making a map each. We are required to use kismet to say that our map automatically starts the next group members map. For example if I have DM-unnamed1, I want my map to start DM-unnamed2 when it is finished. How do you do this?

Thank you in advance for the help!

Odedge
12-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Maybe I can help get you started in the right direction?

For the first question, this can basically be done with a properly set up music track, which has different tracks for "ambient" and "action" situations.

The second, should be related to level streaming. You will have to have something that says "when player reaches this area... load next leve" or something similar.

I presume this is for a single player level? If so, I am going to guess that music track will still work since it works playing against bots.

In my signature there is a link to my UT 3 tutorial list. Search for level streaming by Hourences and Zynthetic <sp> has a great tutorial on music.

Good luck.

Yikes
12-09-2010, 05:08 AM
Maybe I can help get you started in the right direction?

For the first question, this can basically be done with a properly set up music track, which has different tracks for "ambient" and "action" situations.

The second, should be related to level streaming. You will have to have something that says "when player reaches this area... load next leve" or something similar.

I presume this is for a single player level? If so, I am going to guess that music track will still work since it works playing against bots.

In my signature there is a link to my UT 3 tutorial list. Search for level streaming by Hourences and Zynthetic <sp> has a great tutorial on music.

Good luck.

Hello, and thank you for the response!

I have done the part with action and ambient, according to different situations. The thing I need, is something that triggers the action music. I.E. an event. How do you use kismet to say that a player is in line of sight? Or that first blood is drawn?

This is a Team Deathmatch level, btw :) I just got tired of the same music going on and on all the time, and wanted som variation. I didn't find zone triggers to be the best way to change the music, since it was a multiplayer map.

Anyways, I will check out your tutorials! If other people have ideas for me, please continue posting!

Odedge
12-10-2010, 01:52 AM
Just to give you some ideas...

There is a node for a bot seeing a player, but I don't think there is one for player seeing a player.
It might be possible to set up a sequence that the first player to receive damage triggers is the event that triggers the rest of the sequence.
I have seen sequences that use one big touch volume to keep checking players "status".

Hope this helps a bit.