PDA

View Full Version : In need of an RPG tutorial

strikerx87
09-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Hi, I'm in need of a tutorial that can help me make a 3D RPG thats like the Final Fantasy series as want to have a battle system to the ones in the Final Fantasy games. Any help will be greatly appreciated as need it to help me make a level for my class and I only have 8 weeks to get it done.

3dcamel
09-02-2010, 01:26 PM
no no no and no lol

Snufkin
09-02-2010, 02:17 PM
You wanna make a map and stick in players that use a turn based battle system?

sueds
09-02-2010, 04:58 PM
the think you need is to start programming and using udk. This is your first post and I guess you are new to game making final fantasy sound like alot and I don't seeingremember any rpg tutorial in any game engine

Tubbly
09-02-2010, 05:09 PM
I think I remember Raven saying he would make an RPG tutorial, but never did..

online|offworld
09-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Ok first up, welcome to the UDK forum/community, new people are always welcome :)

Ok, good news / bad news :
The good news : you definitely can make the game you've described.
The bad news : you definitely can't do it in 8 weeks.

The cold hard truth is that making stuff like this is a thousand times more complicated and time consuming than you realize when you're first starting out. BUT. Just because you can't build something huge, doesn't mean you can't build something small. I highly suggest you look at Hourences tutorials, ESPECIALLY his "Creating a UDK Game" tute (It's pretty much the grand daddy of getting started in UDK tutes).

http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsindex.htm

The other thing you'll find quite quickly is that there is no start to finish making a game in UDK tutorial. Unfortunately the documentation and tutorials that are available are a bit like a giant scrambled jigsaw puzzle. Part of learning UDK is sifting through a mountain of said jigsaw pieces looking for bits that go together.

TheAgent
09-03-2010, 01:57 PM
The other thing you'll find quite quickly is that there is no start to finish making a game in UDK tutorial. Unfortunately the documentation and tutorials that are available are a bit like a giant scrambled jigsaw puzzle. Part of learning UDK is sifting through a mountain of said jigsaw pieces looking for bits that go together.

Well Put : ]

Gillies
09-03-2010, 11:13 PM
do you have any programming experience? if so you should be able to do something like this in 8 weeks. like the others have said you wont find a tutorial though. your best bet is to break down exactly what you want. you say a turn based system rpg. thats pretty broad.
if you bother to break it down you will find there are already some tutorials out there on rpg's and saving stats and stuff which you will need.
http://sites.google.com/site/gilliesau/projects/rpg-prototype
there are some of the things i've jotted down that i required for my turn based rpg, that should give you an idea of the basics you will need to research