PDA

View Full Version : Who said this is just another FPS?

Drudgie
06-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Now i've seen comments floating around this is just another shooter but as the pretty lady herself says
Tanya Jessen "Bulletstorm is original we have guns that shoot 1000 bullets at once" Slighty paraphrased but you see what i'm trying to point out

But if you don't believe me that Bulletstorm is one of the most original First Person Shooters just look at how original its Promotion Campaign is

http://twitpic.com/1v383n <- the lady herself Eating some good wholesome food

http://tinyurl.com/333sozl <- A video of a man with no idea what he will unleash upon himself

Now if thats a taste of Epic & PCF's originalty i damn well can't wait to see the full game

Punichan
06-09-2010, 01:47 AM
wow... bullet burger~ I'll take a shot at that!~(or it will take a shot at me?)

darksin
06-09-2010, 05:31 AM
As long as this is a first person game, shooting is always no doubt the main job, nothing big revolutionary, only games like Gears can, about action third person game always have advantage, FPS actions like mirrror's edge did, it's not shooting, but it never bring fresh new game type to this realm, maybe bulletstorm is a good FPS with new feature, but can this surpass Crysis2 or COD series ? No...Bulletstorm is just another FPS every year game companies made on shelf, so no big shock moment but it will be good for some extra fun when you stop playing big title like Gears.

Punichan
06-09-2010, 08:18 PM
As long as this is a first person game, shooting is always no doubt the main job, nothing big revolutionary, only games like Gears can, about action third person game always have advantage, FPS actions like mirrror's edge did, it's not shooting, but it never bring fresh new game type to this realm, maybe bulletstorm is a good FPS with new feature, but can this surpass Crysis2 or COD series ? No...Bulletstorm is just another FPS every year game companies made on shelf, so no big shock moment but it will be good for some extra fun when you stop playing big title like Gears.

mirrior's edge.... you man the game that should have been 3rd person, but they decided to slap on first person camera on to the head of a character that would roll/slide/wall kick/climb/swing...etc... result, a "stupid hard" game that make a simple wall hop jump rendered almost impossible, a game that offers free running with out the "free" instead, it's a set course one track run through. imagine playing sonic the hedgehog, but all the time, the back of your screen will close in that will kill you if you don't keep moving forward, and every time you jump or roll, the entire screen rotates! that's about right... "FPS" is de-abbreviated to be.. well.. FIRST PERSON (camera view style) SHOOTER (hence, GUNS!!!~), i think as long as it's categorized as FPS, gun shooting is about right. Crysis and COD is just shooter with different focus, (like crysis: focuses on how to make crappy graphic engine [that has mediocre graphic, but makes rendering a computing hell..Unlike unreal, beautiful, detail, yet fast rendering] , and messed up physics, crappy driving mechanics, with weird camera views. Like Cod: focuses on NON shooting gameplay, like the ever famous "i'm dying/getting shot/dropping/hanging/swimming", or "hey! setup events where i get to follow a preset sequence and shoo along!") I don't want to discourage you but the games you mentioned are NOT innovative, as fps, they are still all about "shooting", and they did not bring "shooting" anywhere... in fact, their "shooting" is actually kinda dull, all bulletstic... I think hazard(puzzle FPS) , bio shock(adventure FPS), and even the ball(puzzle/adventure shooter)!! (haha... all unreal engine...) they actually take shooters to the next level! innovative? even Portal is considered a fantastic shooter re-invention! (puzzle shooter!) Even Stalkers (semi-RPG shooter; semi: being rpg only to diablo level...). yeh, there are a lot of good FPS done well out there, you just did not pay attention to them, because they weren't hiped, or have great big AD campaign...

I think if bulletstorm's battle system, and buying system can top the sophistication of Bioshock2, it's plot (complete, please, no more UT3 plots) tops the complexity, and compelling (includes visual) of Bioshock1 or Batman (which are all built by UE), then this game is worth the title of a INNOVATED FPS!! I'd say, it has the potential and it can pull it off easily at this point... just don't let your trailer be half all it's got!

SonicBlade
06-09-2010, 11:57 PM
That's just viral marketing, dude. I mean... okay, the meat thing was really funny but thats about it. They do stuff like this all the time.

@DarkSin: it may not surpass CoD in terms of sales simply because since CoD4 the series holds such hype that every year they'll just switch themes (Modern -> WW2 -> Modern -> Black Ops) and release a new one and it will sell like water in the desert. But personally I see CoD as a really weak FPS experience. However I don't think that Bulletstorm will try to compete head-to-head with CoD.

And I may be asking to be flamed here but Gears wasn't that innovative too. :rolleyes:

Although I disagree with Punichan on wheter Mirror's Edge should've been in 1st person (I think it was one hell of a concept game. It was really easy, but the combination of colors + music + the concept of playing a 1st person game without stop running for a single moment made it a short but sweet experience), it really wasn't an FPS. Just like Portal, these are concept games.

I'm kinda skeptical on this innovate / re-invent the FPS genre because it's a genre that has been explored for over a decade now. Does it really need innovations so much? We already have cutscenes and plots that can be compared to movies and books in levels of detail, in some cases it's so much that one game doesn't feel like a game anymore, it's more like a movie. Either this or it's so bad sometimes that it doesn't even fit in the game... I think UT3's "story-mode" suffered a lot from this, and for some reason had nothing to do with the "Tournament" (that is in the game's title to begin with).

What if Bulletstorm turns out to be just another FPS but one really fun that can make you keep coming back for it over and over again? Just. Like. UT.

IMHO, UT's simplicity and solid gameplay are way more appealing than CoD's immersive movie-like storyline and loose gameplay (because in the end almost every weapon plays the same and you don't have to worry about dying).

Punichan
06-10-2010, 01:02 AM
"...I don't think that Bulletstorm will try to compete head-to-head with CoD."

@They wouldn't, they are 2 different types of FPS.

"...disagree with Punichan on wheter Mirror's Edge should've been in 1st person (I think it was one hell of a concept game. It was really easy, but the combination of colors + music + the concept of playing a 1st person game without stop running for a single moment made it a short but sweet experience), it really wasn't an FPS. Just like Portal, these are concept games."

@don't have to agreed with me, I just didn't like the controls, and rolling cam, that's all, I played it on a console, at a friend's, i'd like my free running Assassin style to be able to see my character's cool moves, when he/she DOES those epic moves, that's all, not just me puking in the bucket... (actually, i didn't puke in this game, i actually did in portal, but it's still confusing...) I DO MEAN IT when i said "Free running" with out the "FREE", they could make the level much bigger and give you optional routes, they didn't... laziness.

"We already have cutscenes and plots that can be compared to movies and books in levels of detail, in some cases it's so much that one game doesn't feel like a game anymore, it's more like a movie."

@which is why i tent to stay away from games like COD, because they are good for one time run through, and nothing more... a movie, none the less, COD 4 IS a good one, but COD6 was not so well done... messy, vauge story, kinda last minute made plot feel...

"Either this or it's so bad sometimes that it doesn't even fit in the game... I think UT3's "story-mode" suffered a lot from this, and for some reason had nothing to do with the "Tournament" (that is in the game's title to begin with)."

@ Amen brother, Amen.....

"What if Bulletstorm turns out to be just another FPS but one really fun that can make you keep coming back for it over and over again? Just. Like. UT."

@More like Bioshock with attitude, speed, and some good old Serous Sam arcade-ness! UT is a different game... in UT, everyone is the same, In Bulletstorm, you are spacial!~

"IMHO, UT's simplicity and solid gameplay are way more appealing than CoD's immersive movie-like storyline and loose gameplay (because in the end almost every weapon plays the same and you don't have to worry about dying)"

@amen...

darksin
06-10-2010, 03:26 PM
FPS is always focus on shooting, nothing big changes, maybe PCF did well on a new game and added a lot of cool stuff, but actually FPS can't do more, and i'm sure FPS like Killzone 3 on E3 will get more attention than Bulletstorm. About Gears, the stuff Epic added each time is really new, and it's TPS, first cover system active reload,etc you seldom see before, and till today only Gears did best on this, then chainsaw duel, etc, tough actions, and yes, the good Dom Maria story line, you can feel not only the action but also the passion. Now the 3, all the new stuff Epic will added in. Anyway Bulletstorm will come to PC, so better than nothing, i hope this is a test of more Gears title on PC in future, PCF port Gears 1, now maybe they will port 3 this time.

HideInLight
06-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Whip - Painkiller, secondary of your primary weapon
Kicking, sliding - That's from FEAR

PS. Bulletstorm's main rival is gonna be Brink.

Punichan
06-11-2010, 02:14 AM
Whip - Painkiller, secondary of your primary weapon
Kicking, sliding - That's from FEAR

"Kicking, sliding - That's from FEAR".... or, it all started 13 years ago with duke nukem3D... you can trace back how ever you want, but Bulletstorm's kick is ORIGINAL! First, the slide kick is NOT an INSTAGIB (IE:One Hit Kill) kick like the one in FEAR, instead, it's a "stasis pop", for users to start up/link in to/add to/finishing a combo attack. Unlike fear, kick here can be used to do more than just "instagib" your baddies, like in the movie, it's used for kicking "garbage booms", "killer hot dog stand", and slide is used for "mud slide" in the boss fight! it's a basic attack, but PCFs have made multiple use of these, turning it in to more than just "kick", that alone is worthy.

Painkiller IS A PCF game! what's wrong with bringing back an old attack from the past? Will you complain about UT99 having 8ball launcher from Unreal?

WOW Brink... the way Mirror's edge SHOULD HAVE BEEN!! WITH GUNS!!! and Easy "FREE RUNNING" that's actually... well REALLY FREE! no bounded by ONE TRACK, it's all out now!~ cool! I am liking what i'm seeing, just don't know how the "look" up to auto climb up, "look" down to slide automatically, but i am always looking down when i play FPS, always trying to get a clear/good crouch shot... i think in this case, if i play brink, i'd sliding like stupid, but playing bullet storm, i'd be making "mercy" all the time!(sounds like bad habit no matter where i go eh?~ (i blame UT99's "crouch shot mod") by the way, they are different, first of all, in bullet storm, you are "spacial" but in brink you are just an other free runner(gunner) ...LOL FREE-GUNNER!~ anyhow, one, you are playing free running COD (MUCH COOLER ONE BY THE WAY!~) other, you are DUKE (bad-ass-er one) + Jedi (with psy-lasso), the only one, or rare one...

HideInLight
06-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Duke Nuke'em should make an appearance in Bulletstorm. He could be the end boss or something.

RoadKillGrill
06-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Duke Nuke'em should make an appearance in Bulletstorm. He could be the end boss or something.

I second this :cool:

Axemahn
06-12-2010, 12:33 AM
i dont buy EA games so no bulletstorm 4 me

LobotiCasta+ion
06-12-2010, 12:42 AM

We got ourselves a cool cat over here. :cool:

Punichan
06-12-2010, 04:53 AM

Not even Dead Space?

I was like you too... but then I played Dead space, It's not perfect, but it's truly fun... (except the asteroid field mini game...)

kidego1971
06-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Now i've seen comments floating around this is just another shooter but as the pretty lady herself says
Tanya Jessen "Bulletstorm is original we have guns that shoot 1000 bullets at once" Slighty paraphrased but you see what i'm trying to point out

But if you don't believe me that Bulletstorm is one of the most original First Person Shooters just look at how original its Promotion Campaign is

http://twitpic.com/1v383n <- the lady herself Eating some good wholesome food

http://tinyurl.com/333sozl <- A video of a man with no idea what he will unleash upon himself

Now if thats a taste of Epic & PCF's originalty i damn well can't wait to see the full game

Completely agree. Bulletstorm looks like anything BUT your typical shooter...and its about time.

Punichan
06-13-2010, 04:30 AM
Completely agree. Bulletstorm looks like anything BUT your typical shooter...and its about time.

I DO HAVE TO POINT OUT... the ad campaign... I don't htink it's a good idea to freak/gross your supporters out... they were reacting pretty negatively about the meat thing... other than that... I can tell you this right now, this IS BETTER LOOKING THAN BRINK already!~

Fartuess
06-13-2010, 09:34 AM

WOW Brink... the way Mirror's edge SHOULD HAVE BEEN!! WITH GUNS!!! and Easy "FREE RUNNING" that's actually... well REALLY FREE! no bounded by ONE TRACK, it's all out now!~ cool! I am liking what i'm seeing, just don't know how the "look" up to auto climb up, "look" down to slide automatically, but i am always looking down when i play FPS, always trying to get a clear/good crouch shot... i think in this case, if i play brink, i'd sliding like stupid, but playing bullet storm, i'd be making "mercy" all the time!(sounds like bad habit no matter where i go eh?~ (i blame UT99's "crouch shot mod") by the way, they are different, first of all, in bullet storm, you are "spacial" but in brink you are just an other free runner(gunner) ...LOL FREE-GUNNER!~ anyhow, one, you are playing free running COD (MUCH COOLER ONE BY THE WAY!~) other, you are DUKE (bad-ass-er one) + Jedi (with psy-lasso), the only one, or rare one...

For last year i'm looking for dynamic FPS with good competitive multiplayer. First game i found was Brink. Nice design, fast movement with free run elements. It's weakness is fact that it have dynamic movement, but not dynamic action elements (player just only have to aim fast like in CoD).

And about month ago Bulletstorm trailer appeared. It looked like ultra fast game which need from player to think fast and be cretive (Turn on berserker mode in my brain :D. Like in UT2k4 on small map with a lot of hard enemies :D ). Everything was perfect until i saw larger fragments of gameplay... then my dream dissapeared. Bulletstorm was slower than i expected. Performing skillshots is like chess... You have a lot of time to think about which skillshot you want to choose. I expect that i have to know what i want to do from beggining. Instantly adapting to situation on battlefield.

And something about innovations in FPS's.

Shooter don't have to be innovative to have nice gameplay. Now when you look to first UT it's still awesome game! When you compare it to games from last 2 or 3 years, UT appears to be completely uninnovative ( :confused: ). But it's still as good as nextgen bestsellers. UT's only weakness is graphic aspect. Not uninnovative gameplay.

kidego1971
06-13-2010, 12:44 PM
I DO HAVE TO POINT OUT... the ad campaign... I don't htink it's a good idea to freak/gross your supporters out... they were reacting pretty negatively about the meat thing... other than that... I can tell you this right now, this IS BETTER LOOKING THAN BRINK already!~

LOL I can see this, but I thought the meat thing was hillarious :D

kidego1971
06-13-2010, 12:47 PM
And something about innovations in FPS's.

Shooter don't have to be innovative to have nice gameplay. Now when you look to first UT it's still awesome game! When you compare it to games from last 2 or 3 years, UT appears to be completely uninnovative ( :confused: ). But it's still as good as nextgen bestsellers. UT's only weakness is graphic aspect. Not uninnovative gameplay.

True, but its nice to have something other than the same ol, run of the mill, aim and shoot games every great once in awhile. I actually find that the shooters I enjoy the most are the "different" ones. (Prey, The Darkness, BioShock, Borderlands)

azurescorch
06-13-2010, 01:56 PM

I've heard others say this. Can some one explain to me why EA is hated by some people? It's like these people who refuse to use windows because it's made by teh evils microsoft oh noooes.

kidego1971
06-13-2010, 02:53 PM
I've heard others say this. Can some one explain to me why EA is hated by some people? It's like these people who refuse to use windows because it's made by teh evils microsoft oh noooes.

Yep I agree. I might not like or agree with everything the "biggies" do, but its not going to stop me from playing a game that I think I will love. To the OP its your right and opinion, but also your loss.

Punichan
06-14-2010, 03:17 AM

I don't hate EA for simply being "big", I hated the way they treats artists, and eat up small game companies, and spit them back out when they are "done with", I hate EA for trashing some of my favorite games/movies by making a crappier version.. Biggest example: Command and Conquer, starting with generals. EA should just stick with sports game, and be cheap about it, just cam real athletes, then re-skin the same game with altered texture, and change stats.... by the way, my take on sports game is "if you want to do, sports, DO SPORTS!" (maybe except boxing)

But even that, I have exceptions I bought and LOVED Dead Space, I think could be one of the only 2 games from EA that's worthy, Bulletstorm being the other one...

Punichan
06-14-2010, 03:25 AM
True, but its nice to have something other than the same ol, run of the mill, aim and shoot games every great once in awhile. I actually find that the shooters I enjoy the most are the "different" ones. (Prey, The Darkness, BioShock, Borderlands)

um... prey, and borderland is pretty standard... (borderlands being more like zelda/diablo FPS...) prey was less than quake4, even ripped off quake4's story!~

BTW my FPS favs are also "different", (Stalkers, Fallout3, bioshock, HL2, Quake4) though quake4 is pretty slandered...

Fartuess
06-14-2010, 06:19 AM
BTW my FPS favs are also "different", (Stalkers, Fallout3, bioshock, HL2, Quake4) though quake4 is pretty slandered...

But none of them are famous from good competitive multiplayer. Those games were good because of atmosphere. Not because of good gameplay.

and about C&C. I like Generals despite it is a bit imbalanced (Alpha Auroras from Superweapon US general) and C&C3 (base version. I haven't played expansion).

kidego1971
06-15-2010, 01:57 AM
um... prey, and borderland is pretty standard... (borderlands being more like zelda/diablo FPS...) prey was less than quake4, even ripped off quake4's story!~

I wouldnt say they are "standard" at all. By different I mean not war games and for God's sakes not Halo...no more WW2, etc. Its gets old to me. Prey,Borderlands,Bioshock,The Darkness,even Legendary make my list.

LobotiCasta+ion
06-15-2010, 02:05 AM
The E3 demo of bulletstorm was awesome.

Punichan
06-15-2010, 03:28 AM
I wouldnt say they are "standard" at all. By different I mean not war games and for God's sakes not Halo...no more WW2, etc. Its gets old to me. Prey,Borderlands,Bioshock,The Darkness,even Legendary make my list.

Well, No matter the detail of our roster of "good innovated FPS", one thing for sure, we all like Bioshock, which is the one closest to Bulletstorm, that over the top. crazy weapons, over powering Psy-attacks, and strong melee option! with killer storyline, and cool scenery! We are all going to like bulletstorm, yeh? why else would we be here talking about it?