PDA

View Full Version : Are there still a lot of players online ut3?(PC)

bleacher6
05-06-2010, 09:24 AM
I saw ut3 black for 20 bucks on steam and i remember loving ut 2004 but got tired of it so i was just wondering if its worth my money and that if there are still an at least average number of populated servers. Thanks :)

azurescorch
05-06-2010, 10:17 AM
I saw ut3 black for 20 bucks on steam and i remember loving ut 2004 but got tired of it so i was just wondering if its worth my money and that if there are still an at least average number of populated servers. Thanks :)

a lot of players? No. No there is not. Might still be worth picking up though, depends on the game types you like I guess.

Nightmare85
05-06-2010, 11:26 AM
I saw ut3 black for 20 bucks on steam

What a rip-off...
You can get it for a lot less.

Cheers!

magicman2u
05-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Well we still have Hedsteem going strong......alot of nights we have 12-18 players playing newly created maps...Plus a Saturday Tourny....Great community ...Tons of fun...IMO :)

oldkawman1
05-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Right now VCTF is pretty good and lots of fun. I usually have good ping to dfb, headsteem, and #2 epic. These servers usually have some very good players on them and no titan mutator.

I would rather play warfare, no titan, but it seems few others do. So many custom maps, and so few players, such a shame. I always check the war servers first just in case because some nights it rocks.

barondro
05-06-2010, 04:58 PM
war is my favorite too, and lately at least one server has enough players.

btw, thanks for posting a pic where I am on the first place ;-)

nice rig too

Sanch3z
05-06-2010, 07:17 PM
as Nightmare said, $20 is a rip from steam, you can probably find UT3 for like 5 bucks. Its definitely worth picking up. A group of us play custom warfare every Sunday night and if all else fails VCTF usually has players.

bleacher6
05-06-2010, 07:40 PM
what about team deathmatch? :P thats what id wanna play a lot of lol

NovaZzZ
05-06-2010, 08:12 PM
what about team deathmatch? :P thats what id wanna play a lot of lol

If you live in Europe your in luck. Usually 1 or 2 TDM servers in Europe. North America usually has a server or two up as well with a decent number of people.

Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers is a pretty good server, but I wish the map pool had more of the "good" maps.

But during weeknights here in North America, the game is pretty dead. Only about 175-250 play on weeknights, and those gametypes are usually Warfare, Vehicle CTF, and Greed. You can find DM, TDM, and CTF games but not all the time. On the weekends is a great time to play, and I would imagine the in-game population of UT3 will grow a little bit this summer with a lot of people getting breaks on school and college.

Taffy
05-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Nova,

The map list has been built by the majority of the regulars on the server.

A custom is put on by user request, or one is tried out, and it either stays or goes depending on the feedback. Enough complaints and the map will be removed quickly.

A few weeks ago someone wanted Liandri and Tempestx2 on, so Liandri was tried out again. The map is still on and nobody ever votes it. It probably needs to be rotated out.

Grendel, Agony, and Under were all put on the server by request of regular players. They did well enough to stay, don't get many complaints and are played somewhat frequently.

But make suggestions. I personally like to play different maps, and I'm always looking for maps that I think everyone will like. It is very tough to find a map that everyone likes, everyone likes a select 4-5 maps, and that seems to be all that gets played.

I_LIVE
05-07-2010, 12:24 AM
Nova,

The map list has been built by the majority of the regulars on the server.

A custom is put on by user request, or one is tried out, and it either stays or goes depending on the feedback. Enough complaints and the map will be removed quickly.

A few weeks ago someone wanted Liandri and Tempestx2 on, so Liandri was tried out again. The map is still on and nobody ever votes it. It probably needs to be rotated out.

Grendel, Agony, and Under were all put on the server by request of regular players. They did well enough to stay, don't get many complaints and are played somewhat frequently.

But make suggestions. I personally like to play different maps, and I'm always looking for maps that I think everyone will like. It is very tough to find a map that everyone likes, everyone likes a select 4-5 maps, and that seems to be all that gets played.

Don't worry Taffy. I like your server. Your server is ut3, lol.

Sourpuss
05-11-2010, 05:35 PM
You probably wouldn't want to drop more than $5-10 on it. As difficult as it may be to believe, UT99 and UT 2004 probably have higher overall player counts, individually. (Let's just say that UT3 wasn't very successful and was only a mere shadow of its non-consolized or less-consolized predecessors.)

NovaZzZ
05-12-2010, 04:26 PM
There are more people playing UT3 at mid-day than 2k4, if you take all the demo servers out of 2k4 that is.

dickbird
05-13-2010, 02:33 AM
There's various regulars that play late nights pretty often. I tend to play late evenings a lot.

Not as much at the moment as I'd like, as I'm having technical difficulties with the local phone lines, and ATT isn't running out here at top speed to do anything about it. Basically I have good, decent DSL service. As long as the lines are dry. And guess when the ATT tech guy shows up? Yep, only when the lines are dry.

It's a huge mystery to them. Why do I keep calling for service? They can't figure it out. Last time I called them they told me, "oh your lines don't support that 3Mb speed you have, that's just excessive." They even did me the great favor of downgrading my line to 1.5, after I told them not to, and now they tell me they "can't" set it back. So guess what happened the very next time it rained?

I seriously need to dump ATT.

I'm sorry what this thread about? Oh yeah. Play UT3. Kill stuff. Dammit.

HaTaX
05-13-2010, 03:55 AM
So that's what was up with you tonight! I noticed you warping around a little bit and seemed to be off your game. Heh, been wet as hell around here too, but I've never had an issue with Comcast that was specific to me or one that lasted over 20 minutes or so.

I'm a regular player in the evening hours, I normally follow the crowd and jump between greed and warfare. Night crowd is a good group of people, would like to see more in there though! (Lately a good sized group of new people are making it in, good to see)

Also for those looking to get into it:
http://www.gogamer.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=21524447

I have no ties to them, but they do have the cheapest price out there. Recently I sent one of my friends there to get a copy of the game and join in on the fun. I've paid a hell of a lot more then $8.50 for games I've spent far less time with then UT3.

kaotrix
06-28-2010, 01:06 AM
It's a damn shame really. This game is so much fun. I guess many gamers today are obsessed with super realistic army/soldier games (i.e.: modern warfare, bad company, M.A.G., killzone, medal of honor).

I've shown this game to several people and they're turned off by the sci-fi inspired graphics and prefer realism. I've been playing Modern Warfare 2 alot less and more UT3. It's just flat out fun and less frustrating.

You also have the jaded PC gamers who hate this game merely because it's not the same as their precious UT2004. So they dismiss it entirely; not giving it a chance. And they dissuade prospective buyers from getting this game with their illogical and irrational complaints.

Gameslaya
06-28-2010, 02:53 AM
It's a damn shame really. This game is so much fun. I guess many gamers today are obsessed with super realistic army/soldier games (i.e.: modern warfare, bad company, M.A.G., killzone, medal of honor).

I've shown this game to several people and they're turned off by the sci-fi inspired graphics and prefer realism. I've been playing Modern Warfare 2 alot less and more UT3. It's just flat out fun and less frustrating.

You also have the jaded PC gamers who hate this game merely because it's not the same as their precious UT2004. So they dismiss it entirely; not giving it a chance. And they dissuade prospective buyers from getting this game with their illogical and irrational complaints.

I agree with your sentiments.

Also, as an update, you can get ALL unreal tournament games for 20 bucks on steam now. :)

Sly.
06-28-2010, 07:16 AM

Fully agree. Most people only want "realistic" games today. I just don't get it.. What's so bad about cool Sci-Fi shooters? I hope someone who hates them can answer this question :p

Disagree. Iam UT2004 player and I play UT3 almost as much as UT2004 ;)
Maybe I'm different. Well, I dunno. Did anyone else notice that there are almost no players left?

HideInLight
06-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Why don't they shut down the UT2004 demo servers?
Bring more people the the actual legit servers

Ga-Reef
06-28-2010, 01:49 PM
@ Op, buy UT3 and tell all your friends about how awesome it is.

kaotrix
06-29-2010, 03:29 AM
Disagree. Iam UT2004 player and I play UT3 almost as much as UT2004 ;)
Maybe I'm different. Well, I dunno. Did anyone else notice that there are almost no players left?

Yeah you are different. Alot of the UT2004/3 guys I've spoken to prefer the old game and completely dismiss this one. UT3 is perfectly fine to me. I mean, there's some room for improvement (i.e.: for example they could've added in a real single-player campaign not just a series of deathmatches with bots interjected with cutscenes, they could've added in some more multiplayer modes[like bomber run or whatever it's called]).

The game is so underrated man. It sickens me. I'm fairly convinced that the majority of people I know who play MW2 religiously would LOVE this game even more if they just gave it a chance. Hoping around shooting rockets or flak grenades is alot more fun than quickscoping with the intervention.

[/rant]

Sourpuss
06-30-2010, 06:06 PM

It's also disliked by a great many UT99 players, including many who thought that the basic feel of the game play was acceptable if not good. Do you have any idea just how pathetic UT3 is, as a whole, compared to UT99 and UT 2004? It was even worse at its release before it was patched. (You couldn't even add Favorites on the server browser!)

People did give UT3 a chance. They played the demo and some even bought the game when it was released. They then concluded that it was a consolized abomination if not an outright insult to PC gamers and UT fans. For example, the user interface and server browser were highly consolized and were far below quality of the UT99 and UT 2004 user interface.

I played Warfare for a couple months and then returned to UT 2004's Onslaught. I concluded that UT 2004's Onslaught just had a much better feel to it and that it was, overall, a better game. The area where Warfare really pales in comparison to Onslaught is with the vehicles.

So, please don't say that people who dislike UT3 never tried it or just dislike it for some irrational reason. What I dislike about UT3 is that it symbolizes the death of the UT franchise to consolization. Consolization means lower quality games that are inferior for online multiplayer. I am a proponent of PC Gaming and online multiplayer freedom and thus I dislike UT3 and what it did to the UT franchise (killed it) and what it represents and portends.

Benfica
06-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Alot of the UT2004/3 guys I've spoken to prefer the old game and completely dismiss this one.
And why is that?

Sly.
06-30-2010, 06:23 PM
And why is that?

I can answer that for you, because I am UT2004-player: You can't double-dodge :p A nice feature, probably the best thing they could make to spice up the gameplay. They left it out in UT3 => UT2004 players don't even want to play that game.
I miss that too. It wasn't that easy to kill another person. Double-dodge -> walldodge and you were somewhere else. The enemy is confused.

udk3
06-30-2010, 06:34 PM
It's also disliked by a great many UT99 players, including many who thought that the basic feel of the game play was acceptable if not good. Do you have any idea just how pathetic UT3 is, as a whole, compared to UT99 and UT 2004? It was even worse at its release before it was patched. (You couldn't even add Favorites on the server browser!)

People did give UT3 a chance. They played the demo and some even bought the game when it was released. They then concluded that it was a consolized abomination if not an outright insult to PC gamers and UT fans. For example, the user interface and server browser were highly consolized and were far below quality of the UT99 and UT 2004 user interface.

I played Warfare for a couple months and then returned to UT 2004's Onslaught. I concluded that UT 2004's Onslaught just had a much better feel to it and that it was, overall, a better game. The area where Warfare really pales in comparison to Onslaught is with the vehicles.

So, please don't say that people who dislike UT3 never tried it or just dislike it for some irrational reason. What I dislike about UT3 is that it symbolizes the death of the UT franchise to consolization. Consolization means lower quality games that are inferior for online multiplayer. I am a proponent of PC Gaming and online multiplayer freedom and thus I dislike UT3 and what it did to the UT franchise (killed it) and what it represents and portends.

hope you have your flame suit on

look you don't have to buy epic products if you don't like them, you can stick with other uts or just go to another competitor such as valve.

RoadKillGrill
06-30-2010, 06:41 PM
I can answer that for you, because I am UT2004-player: You can't double-dodge :p A nice feature, probably the best thing they could make to spice up the gameplay. They left it out in UT3 => UT2004 players don't even want to play that game.
I miss that too. It wasn't that easy to kill another person. Double-dodge -> walldodge and you were somewhere else. The enemy is confused.

I liked the new gameplay mostly, but the main killer in this game is bugs and a crappy browser. That is one this things that made even pugs annoying.
======
Player A cant join server, (cant connect to gamespy)
Player B omg I crashed, pause the game and kick the player in the game
`````B still cant join it says server is full (even tho its not)
Player C (spectating) here leme join in {no explicit join button needs to quit and rejoin}
Player D everyone is showing up white and my HUD is gone i need to reconnect
``````D its still not working, restart the server, get an admin to restart the server
Player E omg im still dling the maps hold on
=======
And this is why pugs in ut3 take so danm long to happen even if ppl are willing

I can rant about the other small quirks but overall its the little things that are wrong with UT3 that build up and make it not as fun to play.

Sly.
06-30-2010, 06:44 PM
I liked the new gameplay mostly, but the main killer in this game is bugs and a crappy browser. That is one this things that made even pugs annoying.
======
Player A cant join server, (cant connect to gamespy)
Player B omg I crashed, pause the game and kick the player in the game
`````B still cant join it says server is full (even tho its not)
Player C (spectating) here leme join in {no explicit join button needs to quit and rejoin}
Player D everyone is showing up white and my HUD is gone i need to reconnect
``````D its still not working, restart the server, get an admin to restart the server
Player E omg im still dling the maps hold on
=======
And this is why pugs in ut3 take so danm long to happen even if ppl are willing

I can rant about the other small quirks but overall its the little things that are wrong with UT3 that build up and make it not as fun to play.

LMAO This is exactly what always happens when I try to play with a friend on a server or per Internet on an own listen server! LOL
The most annoying bugs: No crosshair, HUD, announcements, flags/orbs on radar -> have to reconnect
and the pink teamskin bug (when you join after being spectator, happend a couple of times to me) :rolleyes:
demoguy-bug -> WT*? Is there any reason to have a custom character then!? I like my custom character and I want to play it!

Sanch3z
06-30-2010, 06:50 PM
hope you have your flame suit on.

whats the flame suit for? I completely agree with what Sourpuss said. I've been playing the UT games for most of a decade now and I see UT3 as the end for Unreal Tournament. Sure there might be another UT someday but it will be XBOX7900000, Playstation 200 first (thats where the money is at) so I'm not holding my breathe for a great PC game.

Also, 14 yr olds arent as picky about their games. They like gimmicky stuff like the UT3 titan. Its easier to make games for them then people between 20-40.

udk3
06-30-2010, 06:55 PM
whats the flame suit for?

I've seen other members flame him for other posts similar to what he just said.

btw i agree that ut3 is flawed, and won't count on epic to fix them

azurescorch
06-30-2010, 09:17 PM

Thing is, there is a mutator out for that :/ I play with it more than I play without it. I dislike playing without it. Yet I still prefer to play without it than to play ut04. And yes you can expect to hear me moan about ut04 a lot as I try to force myself into liking it

-Warlord-^
06-30-2010, 11:36 PM
I like both and play them off and on but agree that ut3 came out buggy and consolized

Sourpuss
07-06-2010, 07:22 PM
I just call it like I see it, guys. I'm not afraid of being flamed and I've been involved in hundreds of political debates over the years. I just want to make sure that the message gets through to Epic and to other UT fans that the reason UT3 failed was not because no one likes Unreal Tournament nor that today's gamers wouldn't want to play it.

I think that a UT4, if done to perfection and designed for the PC, would be very viable, offering both UT99 and UT 2004 game play and all of the game types from both UT99 and UT 2004. Epic really has everything it needs to make a viable UT4. The hard part of getting the chemistry right has already been done. It's just a matter of replicating it properly and then packaging it up as a polished, perfected PC product.

Sly.
07-07-2010, 08:35 AM
ONLY for PC. Not for consoles. There were reasons for developing things like UC for consoles I think :) UT shall stay a PC-game!

jomi294
07-07-2010, 08:56 AM
I just call it like I see it, guys. I'm not afraid of being flamed and I've been involved in hundreds of political debates over the years. I just want to make sure that the message gets through to Epic and to other UT fans that the reason UT3 failed was not because no one likes Unreal Tournament nor that today's gamers wouldn't want to play it.

I think that a UT4, if done to perfection and designed for the PC, would be very viable, offering both UT99 and UT 2004 game play and all of the game types from both UT99 and UT 2004. Epic really has everything it needs to make a viable UT4. The hard part of getting the chemistry right has already been done. It's just a matter of replicating it properly and then packaging it up as a polished, perfected PC product.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Stuck in 1999.

Sly.
07-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Maybe, but I've played all UT games and I have to say that it's true that UT99 and UT2004 are way better than UT3 and I have to agree that UT3 is a bit consolized.. :(
Of course that doesn't automatically mean that UT3 is a bad game. Personally I think it makes a lot of fun and I like to play it. They could have made this game equal to UT99 and UT2004 with a single patch but they've abandoned UT3 :'(

PS: Please don't burn me for this post :o

Cr4zy
07-07-2010, 12:32 PM
I've been involved in hundreds of political debates over the years.

Oh great a politician too.

udk3
07-07-2010, 06:17 PM
I just want to make sure that the message gets through to Epic and to other UT fans that the reason UT3 failed was not because no one likes Unreal Tournament nor that today's gamers wouldn't want to play it.

Just vote with your money, its way more effective.